This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would buy a 1956 Sky Hawk?

My car was shipped to a dealer named Eidam Bros. in Hazleton, PA, which I understand was coal country. Somehow I can't visualize a coal miner driving a spotless sporty car like that. I picture them more in Chevys or Fords. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Avantidon; 10-26-2022, 03:15 AM.
    peter lee

Maybe that's just a stereotype as I am sure the coal miner wasn't dirty after taking a shower. Here's one more stereotype maybe the doctor that worked in the local hospital bought it, or maybe a lawyer or a banker?

Hazleton, Pa is still a coal mining area. It might not be as big as it was before, but there are still active mines there.
    Last edited by Avantidon; 10-26-2022, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Who want to drive a rusty old chevy old on the weekend? Actually it would make sense, a lot of those coal miners would young dudes who blow all there cash on fun cars.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
        My car was shipped to a dealer named Eidam Bros. in Hazleton, PA, which I understand was coal country. Somehow I can't visualize acoal miner driving a spotless sporty car like that. I picture them more in Chevys or Fords. Any thoughts?
        gee whiz!!! i know quite a few southern "rednecks" that don't drive 20 year old Camaros or similar aged Ch*vy pick ups...
        Last edited by Avantidon; 10-26-2022, 03:18 AM.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'd like to think it was the son of one of the mine executives, and he was driving it to college, or to New York or Chicago to maike it in the big time.
          peter lee

Comment

Reminds me of the story of the successful pig farmer who bought himself a brand new Rolls Royce, and hauled the pigs to market in the back seat. He was asked why he would let pigs ride in an expensive Rolls Royce, and his response always was 'The pigs paid for it!'

Craig

Comment

• J_Cole
              J_Cole commented
              Editing a comment
              My favorite car magazine is called evo. The magazine is simply put the best auto magazine available, at least for more modern cars. It was started about twenty five years ago by a farmer. He eventually bought a Pagani Zonda in Paganis early days and their cars today trade hands for millions of dollars. I saw a new one for over 4M. You just never know where or what will lead to someone being into cars or having the financial flexibility to get something us mere mortals never can or will.

That's some fancy truck you've got. I hope you don't use it to haul pigs!
            peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              My car was shipped to a dealer named Eidam Bros. in Hazleton, PA, which I understand was coal country. Somehow I can't visualize a coal miner driving a spotless sporty car like that. I picture them more in used Chevys or Fords. Any thoughts?
              Lots of miners and mill hands had a "work car" and a "nice car" back in those days. Once the unions came in strong, most of those fellows made enough money to live pretty decently.
              Last edited by Avantidon; 10-26-2022, 03:20 AM.

Comment

My Dad and his younger brother Milton always winced when telling the story of a Paris IL farmer who bought a brand-new 1954 Packard Patrician and when it came in for service, it was obvious he had been hauling pigs in the back seat! He made no bones about it, either.

'Never did hear the farmers' rationale for that, though. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  My Dad and his younger brother Milton always winced when telling the story of a Paris IL farmer who bought a brand-new 1954 Packard Patrician and when it came in for service, it was obvious he had been hauling pigs in the back seat! He made no bones about it, either.

'Never did hear the farmers' rationale for that, though. BP
                  Local pig farmer has been know to take the back seat out of his Mercedes for that exact task.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 1955 Speedster was sold in Danube, Minnesota a town of 500 back then and a town of 500 now. It was/is Coraltone and Plimlico Gray. I have not a clue as to buy a flashy car like that. The Studebaker Dealer sold Studebaker cars until 1966. I tried contacting the town historical society but the trail was cold from 60 years ago.

Bob Miles
                    Car was in 10,000 pieces with 8000 pieces missing when I sold it.

Comment

• StudeRich
                      StudeRich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe he was the ONLY Lawyer in Town!! LOL!

Folks let's keep this civil with no stereotype verbiage. You are walking a very fine line here. Cross it and we'll have to consider taking some action. Thanks for reading and heeding.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Zombie thread -- most posts from 2013.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                        Folks let's keep this civil with no stereotype verbiage. You are walking a very fine line here. Cross it and we'll have to consider taking some action. Thanks for reading and heeding.
                        You're absolutely right...

For all us people to whom a mental picture immediately leapt to mind, consider that when miners, pig farmers, doctors, lawyers and bank executives were mentioned, the commenter could have been referring to a woman.
                        Don't know about you guys, but more than 50% of my doctors, lawyers and bank executives are of the female persuasion.
                        My personal jury is still out on hog farmers and miners; haven't been many miners around here since the federal Mint and the Consolidated Mine shut down, but every time I pass a (very) flourishing hog farm, there's always a lady tending the drove (herd).

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."---Sir Winston Churchill
                        Last edited by jcharlestc; 10-26-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X