PDA

View Full Version : Someone buy this so I'm not tempted...

JimC
08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3942893217.html

For as solid as it looks, this could be a fun build. I want a 50/51 so badly that I'm tempted to make a bad decision on this one. Please, someone take it off the market before I do! :)

jclary
08-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Good eye and good find, Jim.:) From your past postings, you seem to be a people oriented family man. A big old elegant four door like this would be a great fit. That is, if the family buys into the time, effort, and resources that will be required to complete the restoration. It does look solid, however, so far, the current owner seems to have concentrated on the easy parts. Like removing and cleaning stuff. Not good enough pictures to see how well the paint job was done. It looks like there is a ton of work still required in only the "cleaning" remaining to be done. Then there's those seats, not only needing reupholstering, but complete re-stuffing and building.

He says the engine and spare tire is "all together.":confused: What the heck does that mean? You are right...it could be a fun build, but depending on your skills and level of patience...it could be a nightmare.:eek: It will take time, good secure facilities, and a fair amount of money (even if you do most of the work yourself.). From his ad, I have the feeling the current owner has stepped back and realized what kind of project he has taken on. Now, he is overwhelmed by the enormity of the task and is willing to cut his losses and move on.:( I believe you could probably buy the car for even less than he's asking by flashing cash, but then...the enormous task becomes yours. :ohmy:

Before my wife left for work this morning, she left me a huge grocery list. Think I'm gonna haul the groceries in my '51 Land Cruiser. They make great grocery haulers!:)

evilhawk
08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
The car looks to be in good solid condition and its even titled. Man if I didnt have so many projects already Id head down there to take a look. I would drop rebuild and drop in the 259 I have, throw in some bucket seats and drive the wheels off it!

Commander Eddie
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
It looks like a lot of work but I would be hard pressed to discourage you if you are looking for a Studebaker of this vintage. I happen to love mine and don't regret a single dime I have put into it. If you will be doing a lot of the work yourself it should be a really fun project. Sorry I couldn't be more discouraging. ;)

SN-60
08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Yes, I agree. If someone has the desire and some money.....this could be a nice, solid Stude.

JimC
08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Geez guys, can't you at least try to be a little discouraging? :D Fortunately my wife is better at being grounded to reality than I, so I think I'm going to be able to resist.

The cost of getting this road worthy world certainly range between pretty pricey and seriously pricey. Besides needing an entire new interior, I have no clue if the owner's definition of "all together" regarding the engine is as in "it's all together and running well enough to power it's own way onto your trailer" or "it's all together in the same box, just waiting to be assembled". Probably closer to the latter.

I love the look of a car restored to original, but this could actually be a really cool car to restore into a family road trip cruiser. Custom interior with in-dash GPS in the front, DVD players in the back, modern running gear, and have something fun to haul the family around on road trips. (Not that you couldn't go on great road trips with a car restored to original).

I'm getting ideas again. I better go talk to my wife :D

jclary
08-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Before you go talk to the wife...see if you can find some pics of one that color wearing wide whites. What a great ride to church, picnic, family reunion, high school reunion, parade, or just down to your local cruise-in.:):):)

57pack
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Seeing this Stude reminds me of my 1950 Land Cruiser I had in High School.
Mine had a really neat winged hood ornament with a red fuselage type plastic center.
Never have come across another but it looked like a factory type option.

wolfie
08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Is it a landcruiser? I see the script but not the extra window. May have been taken out for painting or such, just not familiar enough to positively id it from pics in that state. I put no or even less faith in the engine. Plugs left out etc.... Thats about as discouraging as I can be. Expensive restoration but it would make a nice cheap driver if one wasnt picky about staying nut and bolt correct. Should be something at the salvage yard that would give up a set of seats that could be made to work. Steve

hausdok
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I dunno,

I have to agree that it looks pretty good but it also looks like it's been under water. Isn't that part of the country where the red river valley was overflowing a while back?

Studeous
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Maybe a candidate for a two seat Indy roadster project.
Do You have a hacksaw? Reynolds?

52-fan
08-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Is it a landcruiser? I see the script but not the extra window. May have been taken out for painting or such, just not familiar enough to positively id it from pics in that state. I put no or even less faith in the engine. Plugs left out etc.... Thats about as discouraging as I can be. Expensive restoration but it would make a nice cheap driver if one wasnt picky about staying nut and bolt correct. Should be something at the salvage yard that would give up a set of seats that could be made to work. Steve

The rear vent window on the driver's side can be seen if you enlarge the picture. In the original smaller picture it looks like something beyond the car.

mbstude
08-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Maybe a candidate for a two seat Indy roadster project.
Do You have a hacksaw? Reynolds?

I've always liked this one. http://www.studebaker-info.org/uniq/uniq1111/50Indy/50indy.html

JimC
08-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Okay guys, the buyer has dropped the asking price for a very restorable '50 Land Cruiser with pretty much all the parts included to $1000 or best offer. I've been emailing the guy for the last couple days, and it seems like he's pretty discouraged and needs the space freed up, and has talked about just scrapping the car. He sent me a bunch of pics of the car, and it really looks solid. The frame looks mostly good, but the surface rust is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not a lot of rust-through on the floor panels, and even the front fenders look fair. The trunk floor looks iffy, but other than that, most of this car is solid. He told me he has never even tried cranking the motor. He says he thinks it's not stuck, but doesn't have a breaker bar to see if the flywheel can be moved. According to him, the last owner had this stored in an enclosed carport-type structure for at least the last 15 years before he found it.

Seriously, if I had a way to transport this thing to Omaha on the cheap, I'd have already made an offer. Someone really needs to move on this! :D

dnevin
08-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Des Moines to Omaha isn't THAT far. If you don't know anyone in your local SDC group with a flatbed who'd be game for a road trip, rent a uhaul and trailer and go get that thing (or take the bus/train/plane and rent one when you get there.)

This car looks to me like a LOT of work, but if you have a place to do the work and can turn it into a fun project, then go for it.

Now if you're a lot more logical/practical/patient than most of us here--you realize that you could just save up your money and buy one that is already restored and save a lot. But where's the fun in that? :)

JimC
08-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Des Moines to Omaha isn't THAT far. If you don't know anyone in your local SDC group with a flatbed who'd be game for a road trip, rent a uhaul and trailer and go get that thing (or take the bus/train/plane and rent one when you get there.)I do know such a guy in my club, and he's helped me on such a flight of fancy before. I haven't asked, mostly out of fear he'd say yes! :D

This car looks to me like a LOT of work, but if you have a place to do the work and can turn it into a fun project, then go for it.

Now if you're a lot more logical/practical/patient than most of us here--you realize that you could just save up your money and buy one that is already restored and save a lot. But where's the fun in that? :)Exactly my thoughts. I got rid of my last project because all my tools were stolen. Now probably 90% of what was taken has been replaced, so I've been thinking about another project (my wife wants me to take on a convertible, but I'm not as particular, as long as it's a Stude :) ). You truly could find a running one cheaper than the build for this would cost. But like you say, where's the fun in that? Plus, I don't have all the cash upfront, but making monthly payments in the form of buying parts a bit at a time, I can certainly afford.

I will say that I really have always wanted a bulletnose model, and a Land Cruiser is my favorite of the '50 lineup. That along with the possibility that this might get scrapped because the guy is totally disinterested in the project makes it hard not to want to save it from a one way trip to China.

GThawkwind
08-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Okay guys, the buyer has dropped the asking price for a very restorable '50 Land Cruiser with pretty much all the parts included to $1000 or best offer. I've been emailing the guy for the last couple days, and it seems like he's pretty discouraged and needs the space freed up, and has talked about just scrapping the car. He sent me a bunch of pics of the car, and it really looks solid. The frame looks mostly good, but the surface rust is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not a lot of rust-through on the floor panels, and even the front fenders look fair. The trunk floor looks iffy, but other than that, most of this car is solid. He told me he has never even tried cranking the motor. He says he thinks it's not stuck, but doesn't have a breaker bar to see if the flywheel can be moved. According to him, the last owner had this stored in an enclosed carport-type structure for at least the last 15 years before he found it.

Seriously, if I had a way to transport this thing to Omaha on the cheap, I'd have already made an offer. Someone really needs to move on this! :D
How mad would this really make your wife;)?
Screw restoring it! Modern scrap yard interior, carpet kit, motor swap, or get this one running either would be pretty easy I'm guessing, super easy reassembly work, and your cruising! Of course there's a little more to do but you could make another fun car with ease, then maybe sell it down the line. Right it's looking down the barrel of a gun, if no one buys it ,anything is better than scrap yard, even you throw a chevy in there.

GThawkwind
08-07-2013, 01:33 AM
I love the side profile of this car, if I was extremely stupid I would be all over this car, but on basket case is enough for me.

JimC
08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Now it's down to $700. He's gonna sell it for scrap next week, from the sounds of the emails.

JimC
08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
How much does this car weigh? I'm trying to figure out how much the scrap dealer will pay him for it...

Corvanti
08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
according to this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950-1951-studebaker3.htm

3,355lbs. (i have no idea what the scrap price is in your area.)

i can't believe someone hasn't jumped on this! if she was within a day's drive, it would definitely be mine! :!:

shoot, offer $500 or so with the seller knowing it's going to a Studebaker lover! all he can say is no, or might meet you 1/2 way. still, it's worth more than $700 in parts, but it appears to be quite enough there to make her a driver without breaking the bank! :)

dnevin
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Have you bought it already? <drums fingers on desk>

Don't make me come out there! :D

evilhawk
08-07-2013, 05:50 PM
$700 for that car is a great deal! Man if I wasnt drowning in 59 Hawk right now I would be heading to Des Moines!

JimC
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Okay, I've decided that if I can find a truck to get it here , I'm going to make an offer. It's just too nice to let it get scrapped. Anyone up for a road trip?

SScopelli
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
$700 for that car is a great deal! Man if I wasn't drowning in 59 Hawk right now I would be heading to Des Moines!

Down to 500.. Scrap it out for more than that!

jclary
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Even if you only rescue it and later "re-home" it for some one else...you should probably be OK on a $500. plus hauling investment....and, a Studebaker Hero to the rest of us.:)

Corvanti
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM
$500? oh, heck yeah!!!

if you can't get someone in the area to help you with moving her in the next week or so - u-haul, like delta, is ready when you are! not to mention peg's trucking or similar that might be in the area with a empty slot for a short haul...

JimC
08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Is anyone here in the des moines area? I'd love to have some trustworthy eyes looking over the thing.

Of course, if I can't transport it, it's all academic, but you never know.

GThawkwind
08-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Okay, I've decided that if I can find a truck to get it here , I'm going to make an offer. It's just too nice to let it get scrapped. Anyone up for a road trip?
If I had a truck I would be all over helping haul it home for you. A friend of mine wants to build a street rod He's already got a donor SBC and is now looking for the right place to put it, it was originally going to go in a hot rod Blazer, but If Jim doesn't buy this I'll do my damnedest to talk bob into a Studebaker hot rod. We can not let it go to the scrap yard guys! Jim if you wanted to get, I would just a U-haul truck and tow dolly, I mean how cheap can it get!!!!!

JimC
08-08-2013, 12:15 AM
I was actually looking at craigslist a few hours west of here, and saw that someone has a 350 SBC mated to a 700r4 for $700. It'd take a bit of work to get them to play nice with each other, but one could arguably buy this car and that engine, and have a drive-able vehicle for around $2k (after supporting bits are purchased). Of course, then you have the brakes to deal with. And then you have the complete lack of interior. But hey, $15k or so into this, and you'd have a nice $9000 vehicle! :D

Great, I'm talking myself out of it again. :D :D :D

GThawkwind
08-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Bah! Screw making it too nice, in sioux falls there is two junkyard V8 lark wagons at ewe pullet, we both probably know where we could find a few good stude motors are. That motor could probably run again for cheap, and motor parts, I have a Six/ T96 OD, you could pretty much have. I would swap it to later brakes but keep stock manual. For interior, you could just throw in all modern scrap yard finds straight from a caddy or something. If you keep your standards low it could be a decent enough driver for really cheap.

JimC
08-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Dan,

You should talk to your buddy, and fast. I'm seriously thinking of passing on this car. I don't really have the time to turn this into anything in a timely manner, and getting the time off to go up and get it this weekend approved on short notice is a huge pain in the neck. Beyond that, even if I get the time off, I have to figure out how to get it here. My minivan technically has the strength and the hitch to pull a car trailer, but practically speaking, it's 12 years old, and has had some major mechanical glitches lately. And there's no way I'm spending an extra $200 to rent a Uhaul truck.

This thing has a ton of potential. I'll be really sad to see it go to the crusher. :(

evilhawk
08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I agree it would be tragic to see such a nice car go to the crusher. If its any comfort, a few years ago I pulled an old 63 Cruiser over 150 miles to my house using my brothers 1987 GMC Jimmy. I had zero issues with the truck, but did have issues with my GPS and ended up lost on the way back.

If you were going to sell the car right away, what would be your asking price? I really shouldnt be asking... my fiance would have my head if she knew I was inquiring about another car!

Dan,

You should talk to your buddy, and fast. I'm seriously thinking of passing on this car. I don't really have the time to turn this into anything in a timely manner, and getting the time off to go up and get it this weekend approved on short notice is a huge pain in the neck. Beyond that, even if I get the time off, I have to figure out how to get it here. My minivan technically has the strength and the hitch to pull a car trailer, but practically speaking, it's 12 years old, and has had some major mechanical glitches lately. And there's no way I'm spending an extra $200 to rent a Uhaul truck.

This thing has a ton of potential. I'll be really sad to see it go to the crusher. :(

TX Rebel
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Apparently it has been sold, but hows about a 51 Starlight Commander currently on ebay. It even has solid floors.

Commander Eddie
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Well, that was exhausting.
I hope we have not permanently lost another irreplaceable Studebaker. I'm guessing we don't know who bought this one and what they intend to do with it.

JimC
08-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I didn't buy it, but I do have good news. An uncle of the owner is a Stude guy, and he decided to take it. It will be restored, or at least that's the plan. So at least for now, it's safe from the scrapper. :)

Corvanti
08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
YAY!!! :cool::!::!!:

GThawkwind
08-14-2013, 04:04 AM
This appears to be the same car, I can see some of the same marks and the steering appears to be the same. Locations about right too. If it is then a ton of the original info was bad and misleading. But this guy says the hood won't open which doesn't line, but I'm almost sure of it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-Studebaker-Land-Cruiser-/360717845781?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53fc758515#ht_768wt_600

JimC
08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
As eerie as having two very similar cars in a similar condition is, this is a different car. The op cars owner sent me a bunch of close ups, and it's pretty clearly different up close.

That said, the original car was in much better shape, so it will be interesting to see what this goes for, if anything.

'66Commander
08-15-2013, 08:47 AM
If I wasn't swalloed into my Commander I'd be all over it. It too is my dream to own one.