Too Hot to touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Too Hot to touch

62 GT Hawk...why after a decent idle would the exhaust be so hot you can't put your hand on the exhaust tip??? Totempole.

Generally, you should be able to block the tip with your hand for a second or two to observe exhaust leaks. If it's too hot for that, start with the timing.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Check the Heat Riser Valve, when it is OPEN, on a Original Type the top of the hat shaped weight will point forward, or if a replacement Valve that is half round shaped, it will still go forward after warm-up.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Also check your timing...
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If by, "exhaust tip" you are referring to the end behind the rear bumper, that seems a little warm. OTOH, what are you calling a, "decent idle"? I have had them get so hot after idling say 20-30 minutes, in order to block off the exhaust with my hand, I needed to use a rag because it was too hot for the naked hand.

However, if the car has been moving down the road, it is not usually too hot to touch. I'll check the 62GT later today, when I get to my destination 23 miles down the road in an hour or so. I'll also try to remember to check when I get to the Louisville Street Rod Nationals about 75 miles from there later on today. The last few miles to there will probably involve several minutes of poking along in the traffic.

If you think it is excessively hot, check for late timing. Late timing will also make it idle slow, and have low power.

Comment

HEY!!!!...Exhaust systems get HOT folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              HEY!!!!...Exhaust systems get HOT folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Hey Ed, did you get most of that warning off of a McDonalds or Jack in the Box Coffee cup?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Hey Ed, did you get most of that warning off of a McDonalds or Jack in the Box Coffee cup?
                Naaah!......I don't do 'fast food' Rich!!

Comment

Yesterday, I checked the tail pipe as planned, behind the rear bumper. It was hot each time I checked it, but not blistering hot. Hottest was at the Louisville fairgrounds, after poking along in traffic a few miles.
                  To quantify "hot" we'd all need calibrated thermometers. So, still not sure how hot yours is getting, but as mentioned, its a good idea to check the timing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    Yesterday, I checked the tail pipe as planned, behind the rear bumper. It was hot each time I checked it, but not blistering hot. Hottest was at the Louisville fairgrounds, after poking along in traffic a few miles.
                    To quantify "hot" we'd all need calibrated thermometers. So, still not sure how hot yours is getting, but as mentioned, its a good idea to check the timing anyway.
                    Hot is when You say "OUCH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      Mine gets too hot to hold your hand over the tailpipe the exhaust is extremely hot...even after I reset the timing. Totempole

Comment

Originally posted by Totempole View Post
                        Mine gets too hot to hold your hand over the tailpipe the exhaust is extremely hot...even after I reset the timing. Totempole

In all seriousness, if Your Hawk is running well, and is not overheating, I think that You might be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          In all seriousness, if Your Hawk is running well, and is not overheating, I think that You might be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.
                          Fair Enough...My First Hawk...Totempole.

Comment

Working...
                          X