1959 Studebaker pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Studebaker pickup

I am new to this club and I need info on my 1959 Stuebaker pickup. It is the deluxe standard I think? I purchased it in 1972. Had it for years but never knew anything about it except it always started and I drove the wheels off it. It was parked after 1980 cause we were building a house. It started collecting barbwire and junk when it was sitting so I decided to give it to my Dad. He drove it for years. Then someone offered to buy it from him so he decided to repaint it. He got sick this last year an passed away before he could get it done. My Mom gave it ack to me so it is home again. So now I am interested in what I have. Read some history on it but being brain dead in the mechanics department I don't know anything about it. If I write down what is on the label inside the drivers side door maybe someone out there can give me some info on the truck. It says;
    SERIAL
    E7-12157
    Studebaker
    MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    CERTIFIED NET H.P. 154 AT 3800 R.P.M.
    MAXIMUM GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT

EXCEPT AS RESTRICTED BY TIRES
    AND SPRINGS - WARRENTY VOID IF
    ABOVE WEIGHT IS EXCEEDED

4E7 -122
    ONE OF MY QUESTIONS ARE, IS THE MOTOR A 289 V8 OR A 259 V8? Is one of these motors a Golden Hawk motor? My Dad thought it was the Golden Hawk engine. I do not know how to tell. Everything on this truck is oringinal except they took the bench seat out, before I bought it, and put bucket seats in it. I used to pull a horse trailer with it till I got a knew truck. The oringinal paint was turguise but the neighbor ran into it and we had it painted the dark blue. It still has the turquiose inside. It needs to be restored but guess what it still runs!!!! They drove it back to my house. It has primer all over it so it looks rough. I see there is rust under the wheel wells but it is still a running truck. Any info on this truck would sure help me a bunch cause I would like to sell it but I don't want to be stupid about what I have. If I can't get a good price for it, that is if it is not of any value, I will just keep it and use it on the farm. Thanks to anyone that can give me and idea of what i have.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    I have owned a couple of these 1959 pickups.
    The 4E7 is a half ton pickup with a 289 cid OHV V-8 engine with 210 HP (225 w/4bbl).
    There were no Golden Hawks for 1959. 1957 and 1958 Golden Hawks used a supercharged 289 cid OHV V-8.
    The 122 indicates a 122 inch wheelbase (the longer box).
    There were a total of 1275 4E7 pickups (1053 domestic).
    From your picture the pickup appears to be a Deluxe model (FNA Transtar), not the Standard model.
    All of the above assumes that your truck was domestic (for original sale in the USA). Export trucks had variations.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It appears you have a really nice truck there. The information above from Gary indicates you have a great start. You also might want to go on the Studebaker Museum website and order a copy of the "Build Order" for it. I hope you keep it on the road. It is a nice example and should be displayed, on the road and/or at your local car shows and cruise-ins. If you have more photos please post them. We love to see them and you may learn some more about your fine truck.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Hi Charlie , you need to get on the truck farmers page, lots of info and a lot of people who can help ....check it out http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hi,

Welcome!

I have a couple of 4E7's as well. One of them was given to me by my Dad when I was 17 back in '78. We've also owned it since about '72. I sent you a private message about your truck indicating much of what Gary stated too. Do you happen to know which dealership it may have come from? Is it a "Colorado native" truck? Thanks for posting about it!

Call or email me - I'd like to check it out some time (email & phone sent in private email).

John
          Broomfield, CO

Comment

The 1959 4E series trucks were the only ones with a 289 cu in engine as standard equipment in all V8-equipped models, instead of a 259 or something smaller. So if your engine is original, it will be a 289. Horsepower will depend of whether it has a 2-bbl or 4-bbl carb. There are several resources available on the SDC website to help you nail down more details. There's a general history of Stude trucks here:

A listing of Stude truck models is here:

And this is a listing of V8 engine numbers that can be used to determine if you have a 289:

Look at the picture at the bottom of the listing to see where to find the engine number.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              The 1959 4E series trucks were the only ones with a 289 cu in engine as standard equipment in all V8-equipped models, instead of a 259 or something smaller. So if your engine is original, it will be a 289. .
              Skip - Your statement is only true for 1959 pickups meant for the USA market. It is not true for export models. I thought that this should be corrected because we have a lot of Worldwide followers on the SDC Forum. For example; a 4E7 for the USA has a 289 standard whereas a 4E7 for export has a 259 standard.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not Scotsmans

Oops Skip and Gary, you forgot the 4E2 was a 259. Bish
                Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                The 1959 4E series trucks were the only ones with a 289 cu in engine as standard equipment in all V8-equipped models, instead of a 259 or something smaller. So if your engine is original, it will be a 289. Horsepower will depend of whether it has a 2-bbl or 4-bbl carb. There are several resources available on the SDC website to help you nail down more details. There's a general history of Stude trucks here:

A listing of Stude truck models is here:

And this is a listing of V8 engine numbers that can be used to determine if you have a 289:

Look at the picture at the bottom of the listing to see where to find the engine number.
                sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                1963 8E28 GSA order
                1963 8E5 SOLD!
                1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Gary and Bish are right, of course. Gary had already asked whether the OP's truck was built for/sold in the USA, so that shoulda reminded me. And I was gonna put something in there about "Deluxe only, not Scotsman (Scotsmen?)", but forgot and posted without it. I sure wish Stude had kept the Transtar name for 1959. It would have made life much simpler . . . .
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by CharlyGee View Post
                    I am new to this club and I need info on my 1959 Stuebaker pickup. It is the deluxe standard I think? So now I am interested in what I have. If I write down what is on the label inside the drivers side door maybe someone out there can give me some info on the truck. It says;
                    SERIAL
                    E7-12157
                    CERTIFIED NET H.P. 154 AT 3800 R.P.M.
                    MAXIMUM GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT

EXCEPT AS RESTRICTED BY TIRES
                    AND SPRINGS - WARRENTY VOID IF
                    ABOVE WEIGHT IS EXCEEDED

4E7 -122

The oringinal paint was turguise. It still has the turquiose inside.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CharleyGee; You've already received a lot of good information about your truck. Allow me to decode several of the codes you have posted.

Model code- 4E7-122
                    4....indicates Studebaker trucks built in the 1959 model year,
                    E....code for the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1955 through 1964 (when production ceased),
                    7....code for a nominally 1/2 ton rated truck with a standard V8 Studebaker-built engine and 3 speed manual, column shifted transmission,
                    122.indicates the length of the wheelbase measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle in inches. In layman's terms, this is a 'long wheelbase' truck as 122 inches allows for an eight foot pickup box.

For the 1959 models called 'Deluxe', the standard V8 engine was the 289 cubic inch engine. Skip and others have already supplied specific information about this engine.

Serial Number- E7-12157
                    E....same as above
                    7....same as above
                    12157. indicates the sequencial order in which this E7 truck left the assembly line since the beginning of the series. The serial number bracket assigned to 1959 production began with E7-11101 and ended at or before E7-12275. Your truck was the 1,057th E7 truck built in the 1959 model year.

Your truck was painted Parchment White (code P5951) and Hawaiian Green (code P5953). You can verify this by the metal tag mounted behind the driver's rear door frame in line to the right from the model tag under the edge of the driver's seat.

A note about the GVW rating of 5200 lbs. This truck was warrented from the factory for X number of miles. If an owner exceeded this GVW figure before the warrenty expired, the factory was not responsible for any damages. The factory shipping weight for a 4E7-122 model was 3185 pounds. This meant the truck could carry up to 2015 pounds without violating the warrenty agreement. But this 2015 pounds included the driver, fluids, passengers, any additonal body larger than the standard pickup box, and load. But for a 1/2 ton rated truck, this was not bad. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum and check us out at Studebaker Truck Talk.

Frank Drumheller
                    Locust Grove, VA
                    60S-W6
                    M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck
                    Last edited by studelark; 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM. Reason: grammar and math

Comment

Gosh thank you everyone for responding to my request. It has been a tremendous help! I will besure to use all the info you suplied me with to find out more about the pickup. I have someone that made me an offer to purchase the truck, how much do you think it is worth just like it is? they offered me $3000.00 for it, was I foolish to turn that down?

Comment

Thank you so much, Mr. Gary, for the info. It will be a big help!

Comment

Thank you for the info! I will do just that, Mr. Eddie.

Comment

It seems Mr. Studelark you went to some time and trouble to find out about my truck. I can't thank you enough for your time. But thank you so much for your effort to get me this info. It is very much appreciated. CharlyGee

Comment

Gosh was lookin at the serial # that you looked up but my serial # is different. Mine is E7-12157 not E7-12159. Will that make a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X