Finally gonna do the steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally gonna do the steps

This is what I've been agonizing over for the last few years. I painted the cab steps with fleck-stone paint way back when I was just going to put a rat rod paint job on it. It looked pretty good when it was first done but it didn't wear well. I repainted it a few years later but as this recent picture shows, it looks pretty bad after a few months of wear and tear. I put some snaps on the back seat floor mats but they didn't keep the step from wearing and they even look worse for the wear. The color of the mats don't match so it's all gonna go.

I'm taking it in tomorrow night and should be picking it up Friday after work. I'll post pictures of the new look when I get it back. Hopefully, it will be a permanent fix and will not look crappy after only a short period of time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	step 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1740128
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Back in the early 1980's, one of the companies I represented manufactured and distributed industrial belting. I took a couple of scraps of black rubber conveyor belt and cut them to fit the contour of my truck steps. I have them lying in place without gluing or fastening them down. It's not the neatest job, but they are functional and still protecting the steps after all these years.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jon, what are you having it painted with? Bed liner?
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
        Jon, what are you having it painted with? Bed liner?
        Bingo... Line-X. Also replaced the funky old tan mats with simple black rubber mats.
        So, whattya think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	step 009.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1683109 Click image for larger version

Name:	step 011.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1683110
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
          Bingo... Line-X. Also replaced the funky old tan mats with simple black rubber mats.
          So, whattya think?
          Like!! ````````````````````
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Looks great Jon! Nice idea and I'm sure they will wear well.

Comment

Very nice Jon. That should do you and your 2R5.3 very well.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The Steps look Great Jon, so are the ROSE seat covers and Carpet Trim the next to go?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  The Steps look Great Jon, so are the ROSE seat covers and Carpet Trim the next to go?
                  That's funny. This truck was never meant to be a show truck so when I realized the seats were Rose colored and not the chocolate brown they looked like when I saw them at dusk in the totalled out Taurus, I figured I would just work around it. It's still not a show truck. I just got a little carried away with my daily driver.

They look better in person than in the picture.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                    That's funny. This truck was never meant to be a show truck so when I realized the seats were Rose colored and not the chocolate brown they looked like when I saw them at dusk in the totalled out Taurus, I figured I would just work around it. It's still not a show truck. I just got a little carried away with my daily driver.

They look better in person than in the picture.
                    Well...If you insist it's not a "Show" truck...we'll go along with you

...However...it "SHOWS" extremely well!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Well...If you insist it's not a "Show" truck...we'll go along with you

...However...it "SHOWS" extremely well!
                      If you saw it up close, you would see that I use it as a truck. All the more reason to use Line-X on the steps.
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I was going to ask if that coating was "tint-able" for color matching. If you lived where I do, everything is "tintable." Of course it is not intended...its just that anything that stays in the red clay hills of the Carolinas, sooner or later, takes on a bit of the color of the dust and dirt floating in the air.

It's not just the rays of the sun that makes you a "redneck" in this part of the world.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          I was going to ask if that coating was "tint-able" for color matching.
                          I asked that too as I was hesitating because I did not want to do it in black. You can get bed liners in color but not the Line-X. At least not at this place. I looked for other places to have it done but I've seen some of the workmanship and didn't like the quality. This Line-X did the best work in my area. When I figured out that I didn't have to keep the funky tan mats and could replace them with black rubber mats, the black began to appeal to me. I like it.
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

As Homer Simpson would say........."NINE THUMBS UP"!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X