Trains Planes and Automobiles(Warning: Photo Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trains Planes and Automobiles(Warning: Photo Heavy

I had back to back events I went to this weekend. The first was very interesting as steam locomotives and/or passenger trains(particularly of the Canadian lineage) rarely make it this far into Chicago. They were doing excursion runs in segments and the passenger train was doing a segment between Franklin Park, Illinois and Sturtevant, Wisconsin over the weekend. After this it would begin its return to Canada through Wisconsin and Minnesota.

This is Candian Pacific Railroad 2816, a restored 4-6-4 Hudson type(theres another name for them, but I'm going by the Whytte designation) all the way from the provinces of Canada. She had travelled a fairly long distance for this once in lifetime opportunity of a shot.

Between the smoke and the engine, its cleaner than the models I've had ,LOL. [)]

The train at the time was running a joint operation between the Canadian restoration group and another group out of Minnesota. This made for a fairly large, but well run, passenger excursion train the past 3 days. The first few passenger cars in the train were Canadian Pacific Railroad, followed by the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha passenger in the back. I just gotta love that observation car back there, LOL.

Now for the Studebaker tie for our hallowed moderator. This was the first in the day of being two 50 mile round trip drives into Chicago. The first was up north into Franklin Park. The second was south into Lyons. Performed as it should, with minimal problems. Being a driver, the plug somehow follows me no matter how off kilter the situation is.

The next day we took the cars to a local air and car show. One of those events were tickets were needed before getting in.....

One of them there prop engines of the four is the Studebaker engine(sings, One of them is not like the other)....
    I love them B-17's though. This plane was taking people at 300 a head, among other planes taking people into the wild blue yonder, a little steep for my wallet though. Getting to the runway on a tarmac made for more or less small planes, its wingspan was that of a city bus and needed the real estate of one to get there. For anyone wondering, those will taxi to the runway on two props. [)]

I also have lovvveee, them Corsairs after seeing the Black Sheep Squadron TV show many years back....

All I can say, its not Photoshop. That is a ladder though. [8D]

This photo is not for the squeemish, but these guys were incredibly good, LOL [}]

I got many many more photos, these are just a few highlights from this weekend.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

'Love the locomotive shots. Gorgeous. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Love the locomotive shots. Gorgeous. Thanks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The CP engine reminds me of a night back in 1982. A friend was a volunteeer up at the old Steamtown in Vermont and they were having their "Fall Foliage" weekend. He asked me to go up and help him for the weekend. That night my job was to keep the fire box going in the twin sister of that engine.

He told me to watch the water temp and every few minutes to throw some coal into the fire box. I lasted less than an hour in there. Only the laundry knew how scared I was when the engine would let off steam for the first time.

Love the pictures of the B-17. $300 is not bad, last week the Collings Foundation B-17 was here and they were asking $450 for a 30 min flight.

Comment

The CP engine reminds me of a night back in 1982. A friend was a volunteeer up at the old Steamtown in Vermont and they were having their "Fall Foliage" weekend. He asked me to go up and help him for the weekend. That night my job was to keep the fire box going in the twin sister of that engine.

He told me to watch the water temp and every few minutes to throw some coal into the fire box. I lasted less than an hour in there. Only the laundry knew how scared I was when the engine would let off steam for the first time.

Love the pictures of the B-17. $300 is not bad, last week the Collings Foundation B-17 was here and they were asking $450 for a 30 min flight.

Comment

You know who designed the Skytop Lounge observation car for the Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha, don't you?

...(wait for it)...

Brooks Stevens!!!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

You know who designed the Skytop Lounge observation car for the Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha, don't you?

...(wait for it)...

Brooks Stevens!!!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:

...(wait for it)...

Brooks Stevens!!!
                Alright two Studebaker tie ins. The man who drew up the Lark drew up the observation on the Hiawatha [)]. Did not know that, learn something new everyday.
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:

...(wait for it)...

Brooks Stevens!!!
                  Alright two Studebaker tie ins. The man who drew up the Lark drew up the observation on the Hiawatha [)]. Did not know that, learn something new everyday.

Comment

....er Lark type

Comment

....er Lark type

Comment

PBR2

Take a look at this website www.wcra.org/hudson. CPR Royal Hudson 2860 pulled the Royal Train across Canada in 1939 and is now in the railway museum in Squamish BC. It has just had a complete rebuild costing 2 million dollars.

Terry

Comment

PBR2

Take a look at this website www.wcra.org/hudson. CPR Royal Hudson 2860 pulled the Royal Train across Canada in 1939 and is now in the railway museum in Squamish BC. It has just had a complete rebuild costing 2 million dollars.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X