Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's another one, again family picture but a different auto with less detail. Is it a Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's another one, again family picture but a different auto with less detail. Is it a Studebaker?

Here is another family picture, same story what Studebaker is this and what year? The couple to the left are my Great Grand Parents, and to the left are my Great Aunt and Uncle.

Very interesting disc wheels on this one..

Dennis
    Attached Files

Hi

Most of the details match the '22 or '23 Maxwell, though not completely. What say others?

Steve

Comment

It looks very similar to this 1925 Dodge,but yours had six lug wheels, and this one has 5 lugs, maybe a higher priced Dodge had six lugs. Yours is missing a front bumper. The square looking top, and the front of the top with curved braces look very similar.

Last edited by clonelark; 08-01-2013, 12:25 AM.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.. I looked at the historic Indiana license plates, and it shows that the style on the front of this car (if I'm viewing it correctly) would have been a 1923 or 1924 version or later. That's about when Indiana's plates took to a dash in the middle of the set of numbers. I believe I'm seeing 3 before and 3 after the dash, that would indicate a 1924 version. I'll have to dig out the orignal photo and see if it can give me any more clues.

So, I surmize that Studebaker never used this style of disc wheel in these sorts of years / models?

Thanks again for the inputs.. this IS fun.. !!

Dennis

Comment

Over on the Stutz Club site, we get a lot of similar questions. Most of the time, it's not a Stutz. If Stutz had sold as many Bearcats as people say their grandfather's owned, it would still be in business today.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yes, it is a Studebaker, specifically a 1923 Light Six model EM sedan. The distinctive shape of the radiator shell shape is the give-away. The model EM was produced in 1923 and '24. While the EM came standard with wood wheels, disc and even wires were available on special order. The car in your photo can be identified by year inasmuch as the '23 had a two piece windshield and the '24 one piece. Note the disc wheels in both the photos below. Another unique feature of the Light Six sedan models is both doors were hinged in the rear (some refer to them as suicide doors). On the sedan photo you will note a monogram on the rear door and looking closely a "through the window" spotlight. Fred Fox wrote a rather comprehensive article on the Light Six in the June 1999 TW.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	23-24 lt 6 sedan copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1683086Click image for larger version

Name:	23 lt 6 cpe copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1683087
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Identical car on this ebay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230892263302
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard, as always very thorough and very impressive. Thanks again.. my Uncle Moody is smiling proudly down from heaven at this digital remembrance of what I'm certain in the day were his mechanical "babies"..

I'm wondering why there is no front bumper on my Uncle's auto, your pictures show them. Hummmm....

Dennis
                Last edited by Dennis L. Henry; 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Dennis, as to that missing bumper. Think about the era...muddy dirt roads with deep ruts. It was truly a hard scrabble era with all kinds of new motor driven contraptions still sharing the roads with lots of horse drawn vehicles. It was nothing for a neighbor to wrap a rope or chain around his bumper to pull someone out of a deep mud hole. No telling what the story is about your uncle's missing bumper...but I bet there is a story, and I would love to know it.

Compared to lots of the cheaply built T-models, A-models, and other lesser known vehicles plying the roads back then, that Studebaker was a well built and stout behemoth...probably in great demand when a push or pull was needed.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
                    Richard, as always very thorough and very impressive. Thanks again.. my Uncle Moody is smiling proudly down from heaven at this digital remembrance of what I'm certain in the day were his mechanical "babies"..

I'm wondering why there is no front bumper on my Uncle's auto, your pictures show them. Hummmm....

Dennis
                    Bumpers were not standard equipment at that time. More often than not they were aftermarket and dealer installed which is the reason you see different style of bumpers on cars of the same year.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments and help on this. It is truly amazing the wealth of knowledge on this forum!

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                      X