Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save it from the scrap yard

Saw this on CL this morning...

Not much left of this, but it looks solid enough from the photos. It sounds like this guy will take any offer above scrap value. Surely someone out there could use this for that price. He's sending it to China in 6 days otherwise.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Disc brake car with all the chrome (minus a little on the deck lid) still there...

Wonder why he wouldn't just take the scrap value for it - do not like this "gun-to-the-head" type of sales pitch...

Comment

Heck, that car has less rust than the '64 parts car I have out back!!
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

I do not see a disk brake booster and master.
        sigpic

Comment

Wonder if this is the one Lester Schmidt drove for a bunch of years? Last time I saw that car it was in his yard looking sad like this one.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by LarkR2Clone View Post
            I do not see a disk brake booster and master.
            Oops - just saw the disc brake wheels and made the jump...my fault.

Comment

Well if he brings it to KC as of the 18th
              scrap for iron (cars with tires) is $185 a ton.

So w/out tranny and engine, what do you think? 1800-2000lb?
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Too bad all the glass is gone, would have made good beater hot rod material.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  Too bad all the glass is gone, would have made good beater hot rod material.
                  All the side glass is nothing but flat glass, windshields can be had without too much difficulty, same for the back glass. Heck, I have a rear window that could be had for the right price if I can get it out of the car without it cracking. And it's in good shape.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

That really is a shame, the Body is not in that bad a condition. The Glass on a Hardtop is a big deal though, it is all sealed into chrome frames on all 4 sides just about impossible to replace just the Glass and Hardtops are nowhere near as easy to find being parted out with good Glass as Sedans.

I agree, about $200.00 should be over scrap price.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is someone gonna' be able to get this car? It's 500 miles from me, 'sorry to say, but I hate to see a last-year South Bend (two-tone steering wheel) Daytona hardtop gone when a few dollars over scrap looks like it will buy it.

At least the guy doesn't want some ungodly price for it; we can't complain about it being offered just over scrap... otherwise, the guy might as well have bailed it by now. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Even that rare '64-'66 deck lid probably can be straightened. (someone opened it with a pry bar)

Comment

Hey it's a HARDTOP! It should be saved. Just the doors alone are worth it. The same can be said for the window regulators. Who knows what rear is in it. If someone wants glass I have it. Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Is someone gonna' be able to get this car? It's 500 miles from me, 'sorry to say, but I hate to see a last-year South Bend (two-tone steering wheel) Daytona hardtop gone when a few dollars over scrap looks like it will buy it.

At least the guy doesn't want some ungodly price for it; we can't complain about it being offered just over scrap... otherwise, the guy might as well have bailed it by now. BP
                            I'm working on it. Have been in touch by e-mail with the seller and he offered more pics. Waiting for them to arrive.

I'm about 50 mi from it and owner is only about 20 from me. IF successful I'll have to determine quick whether to part or flip as is. Missouri doesn't do bonded titles so the lack of a title makes it tough to do more than part out. It may have some better parts than on my current '64 Hardtop project..... or if someone wants it from a state that bonds let me know. I'm in a resiedntial area with little to no space to store another but don't want to see those good parts get crushed.
                            Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 07-30-2013, 06:32 AM.
                            \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                            \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Talked to the owner. It was originally equipped with a V8, and was a manual transmission. I asked him if he could get the serial number and if so, I'll post it here for you sleuths who have dug through the museum archives. He's also going to send me a few more pics. But at scrap value, this thing seriously looks like a steal, even as a parts car.
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X