Rear quarter glass removal 50 champion 2 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Rear quarter glass removal 50 champion 2 door

The manual says "Position the glass so the lifter arm retaining pin is accessable". There are no pictures in the manual and I have not been able to find this pin. I need to remove the glass, can anyone help?

doubledaddy
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

It's been over a decade since I did an early '50's two door. I believe your interior trim panel will need pulled out so you have access to the retaining pin through a specific hole in the inner body shell. That would entail removing the rear seat, which would entail removing the armrest(s).
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As said above you will have to remove the rear seat, panel etc. You will be able to reach the pin they are talking about on the window regulator or lifter. There is a little clip on the end of the pin you will have to remove. I think there are two of them on your regulator, I do not remember for sure. There is normally a special washer behind the clip.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I have all the trim and panels off and have access to the inspection holes in the body panel. there are two holes, one about 4" square just fordward of the regulator and one smaller just behind and a little below the regulator, There is also a 2" hole at the very rear where I can see the rear window channel but so far I can't find any kind on retaining pin. One question, do these windows roll all the way down? Mine stop with about 3" of glass still up. Thanks
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Your regulator, being connected to the crank handle, is inboard of the glass itself so, the pins and retaining clips are on the opposite side; meaning you will need to get your fingers, or some sort of pick, between the pins and the exterior body panel to pull the clips. Even more contortion to put them back in place.

There is also a screw on the regulator that limits its arc range. You may be able to achieve just a little more opening but, no, it will never fully open.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I know of no photos for the rear quarter window, but the operations manual does tell a little different story. See if F-49 will work for you. http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...odyqtrwind.jpg
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain, This is the correct way. There are no pins in my Champion. I got it loose by removing the regulator screws, rolling the window down to get the gear parallel with the mounting hole for the regulator and then pulling it out and forward. There is an enlarged opening at the front end of the glass channel that the lift pin will pull thru. I don't know what the manual is talking about. Anyway I now know how it can be done.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
              X