Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio

I am on the look out for a 61 Lark radio, (manual tuner). I would need the radio, mounting stuff, and face plate, (complete). Does anybody out there have one?
    I would want to rig it up so I can use a hidden antenna. I don't want to drill holes in the car fender.
    Finally I am on the hunt for a 61 Lark underdash a/c evaporator.
    Thanks one and all.
    David G. Nittler

I have a 62 lark AC 3217 manual tuner radio that was serviced as well as mounting kit, face plate and Delco auto radio service bulletin. I was going to put it in my 62 GT Hawk but just yesterday found a push button 63 version. If you have interest PM me.

Bill Hanlon

(!)
    Studebaker 1962 Lark, Hawk,

Champ truck
    AM radio 12V
    S-P AC-3217 (Delco)
    Note: May not be correct for all models
    Last edited by bhanlon; 07-27-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Does this radio fit the 61 Lark? Is it complete, with mounting brackets, face plate. Etc. Thanks
      David G. Nittler

Comment

I have a good 61 radio, but I don't know if I have the correct knobs for it, I would have to see a correct knob to know for sure and I know that I don't have a face plate. Bud

Comment

funny how I was looking at radio(s) yesterday...I have several 63's, both buttoned and manual. I see my 62' manual radio in the wagon as being the exact same radio. I measured the dial spacing and they are all the same. The difference is the face surround. The 62' is a larger trapezoidal looking surround, the 63' is the long horizontal piece in keeping with the glove box aluminum. That's good news for me because I know the condition of the 63's, not the new - to - me 62'. On another note drnittler...you can find early, hidden type antennae from someone like RadioRoy maybe ???

Comment

62 and 63 radios are essentially the same. They sometimes changed the color of the background of the face from white to black and back to white again for different years.

Measure the size of the face, because 62 might be smaller that the 61 face/bezel.

The only "hidden" antenna that might work is the kind that places a fine wire around the inside of the windshield frame. The wire only needs to be thick enough to be physically strong enough to resist breaking. You can use wire as fine a hair if you can find some.

Remember that the hole car body is a metal cage and metal stops the radio signal. You cannot mount an antenna inside the trunk for example. If you could isolate the trunk lid from ground in some way, that could make a good antenna. Or if you could isolate the stainless trim around the windshield or the rear window and hook that up to the antenna, that might work.

The old running board antennas under the car did not work very well, but some 36 Fords used the metal cover around the rear mounted spare tire as an antenna.

Basically you need some form of metal that is not electrically connected to the car body for an antenna.

Stay away from the hood area, as it has too much electrical noise coming from the engine's ignition system.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

IIRC the only mounting hardware is the support bar that secures the radio to the firewall on a 61 and attaches to a side post on the radio itself.
              Volume and tuning nuts secure front to the dash face.
              Radio rests on the center ash tray.
              Face plates can still be bought.

I had at one time the support bar. But may have went with radio I sold 5 years ago. I'll look.
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The '61 Radios have the tall pushbuttons not the thin ones like a '62-'66 therefore the chrome rectangular face plate that fits through the hole in the mounting trim plate is larger on a '61 so if you install a '62 there will be a gap (opening) showing on the dash.

And before someone reminds me that we are talking about a Manual Tuning Model, remember that both have the same size face plate to fit the same Mounting Trim Plate, because there is a dummy space to take the place of the push buttons.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1961 dash with radio:

1962 dash with radio:

Comment

Roy, in response #6, very educational. Class dismissed? Or do we just keep on learning?
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

So after seeing 62Champ's great pics, we can see that although different Radios (Tube Type vs semi Transistor and Tall vs slim) you probably COULD install the '62 in the '61 Dash, AS LONG AS YOU DO USE THE '62 MOUNTING PLATE.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                        Roy, in response #6, very educational. Class dismissed? Or do we just keep on learning?
                        Perry,

Just tell me what you would like to know and I will expound on it until everyone's eyes glaze over.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          So after seeing 62Champ's great pics, we can see that although different Radios (Tube Type vs semi Transistor and Tall vs slim) you probably COULD install the '62 in the '61 Dash, AS LONG AS YOU DO USE THE '62 MOUNTING PLATE.
                          Sometimes the hole in the dash is the same size as the face plate. You may have to modify the dash. Best bet is to use the correct year radio. There are lots of them out there.

Comment

I am looking for a manuel radio complete (except for the speaker) that would be correct for a 61 Lark Deluxe. I know the knobs are black to match the rest of the car and the mounting bracket was a shaped piece of metal that supported the radio.
                            Please advise me if the radio in question is the same. Thanks.
                            David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                            X