PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker V-8 one of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's

JRoberts
07-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Studebaker V-8's named as one the of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's by the Jalopy Journal.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=19845

studelark
07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Still can't get used to folks calling them 'motors' in this day and time. Really archaic. The motivators were and are 'engines'.
Even some of the NASCAR people still call them 'motors'. "My motor done blew up!"

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Dan White
07-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Our Ag teacher would go ballistic if we called any gas powered power plant a motor. I still remember all these years later: "Motors run on electricity, engines run on gas or diesel".

DEEPNHOCK
07-26-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd like to hear more about the GM lawsuit against Stude for the V8 engine.......

Gunslinger
07-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Is the claim true that Cadillac sued Studebaker over their OHV design? If so, how far did the suit go?

it's on the net so it must be true! :confused::eek:

ST2DE5
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Why do auto dealers call them selves Motor Co.? Why do they call them Motor Manuel's? Why do they have crate Motors?

63t-cab
07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Good point,I call them engines-motors-powerplants-mills "hope I did'nt forget one"
Why do auto dealers call them selves Motor Co.? Why do they call them Motor Manuel's? Why do they have crate Motors?

Gunslinger
07-26-2013, 08:55 PM

Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it.

it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.

63t-cab
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
When did "anymore" come about ? cuz motor manuals have been around a looooong time time.
Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it.

it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.

alaipairod
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
What manufacturer made the 289 v8 engine for Studebaker?

Milaca
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
The Packard V8 should have been included on that list as it also debuted for 1955.

thunderations
07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Studebaker made their own engines. The foundry was part of the series of plants in South Bend.
What manufacturer made the 289 v8 engine for Studebaker?

billslark
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Studebaker manufactured their own V8 engines in 224, 232, 259, 289, and 304.5 cubic inch displacements from 1951 to 1964.

Bill

Corvanti
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it. it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.

not just now - i recall pulling into service stations when i was young and seeing the sign on a light post between pumps: "Stop Your Motor - No Smoking".:)

later, when i was a teen - and being a bit of a smart-@$$:yeahright:, i'd leave my car running. no one ever came to tell me to stop my motor. i never got to use my "comeback": i have an engine, not a motor...

i reckon if i had a hybrid, the sign might be appropriate.;)

jclary
07-26-2013, 09:40 PM
well...here we are pick'n nits again. In its broader sense, motor, is a matter of "language." I have owned a motor scooter, I ride a motorcycle, and have a motorbike I built by installing a small engine (motor) on a bicycle. In some places, I have heard the term "motor" referred to as the entire vehicle.

I'm tired, its getting late, and I think I'm gonna "motor" off to bed.:rolleyes::)

Corvanti
07-26-2013, 10:15 PM
yes, Mr. C - i'm sure some of us are doing some nitpicking.:o

i wish i'd had something better to do on a Friday night!!!;)

BobPalma
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
That's the first I've heard of General Motors suing Studebaker over the Stude V8's design. Ridiculous, but it makes a good story.

Somewhat on par with calling the Pontiac V8 bulletproof...well, maybe .22 caliber bullets. ;) BP

ddub
07-26-2013, 10:44 PM
What powers motor boats?

Google definitions:

Motor - a machine, esp. one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

Engine -
a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.

synonyms:
motor (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=AYH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1083&bih=584&q=define+motor), machine (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=AYH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1083&bih=584&q=define+machine), mechanism (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=AYH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1083&bih=584&q=define+mechanism);

Packard8
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM
I must have been doing something wrong for decades .......putting motor oil in my engine.

Pat Dilling
07-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Do we drive motor cars or engine cars?

clonelark
07-27-2013, 06:45 AM
What about Rambler 327s, also IH had a V-8, and just like us the aftermarket passed us by. It all came down to the mighty dollar.

Lark Parker
07-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Do we drive motor cars or engine cars?

I dunno. But my grandmother used to say that grandpa picked her up in his machine. :)

BobWaitz
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I can get over the "motor" vs "engine" thing, but he misuses "your" in the first sentence and gets "it's" wrong as well.

DEEPNHOCK
07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Outboard engines

Engineboat

Enginecycle

Enped

Just try and get people to say that.... Just try:whome::!:
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

DEEPNHOCK
07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
'Loose' written instead of 'Lose' always gets me...

I can get over the "motor" vs "engine" thing, but he misuses "your" in the first sentence and gets "it's" wrong as well.

DEEPNHOCK
07-27-2013, 08:33 AM
But... Motor oil can still be used for motors..
In the old days, when Lunkenheimer's and oil cups were the norm on machinery, they did use 'motor oil' in/on motors to lube the shafts bushings and bearings.
Yer' just plain old:!:

I must have been doing something wrong for decades .......putting motor oil in my engine.

jclary
07-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Well...while we're wrecking the original topic of this thread:whome:...love your new signature pic, Jeff!:)

sals54
07-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Well, hey.... mine runs like a SEWING MACHINE. So what does that mean??? Should I switch from motor oil to machine oil??? I hate to think of how much that oil change would be considering machine oil costs about $3 for each one of those tiny 4 oz bottles.

SN-60
07-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Studebaker V-8's named as one the of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's by the Jalopy Journal.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=19845

I guess they're equating the word 'uncommon' to mean lower production numbers.....not any particular novelty. Although in the U.S. the 'Red Rams' valve train was unique to the Chrysler Corp Hemis.

LeoH
07-27-2013, 10:48 AM

:!!: :cheers:

ddub
07-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Wouldnt are english teachers be astonished by this bickering all these years later when we didnt give a rats' rump about it in class?

Lark Parker
07-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Wouldnt are english teachers be astonished by this bickering all these years later when we didnt give a rats' rump about it in class?

Now that's funny!:rolleyes: :!!:

t walgamuth
07-27-2013, 01:51 PM
The English avoid the whole motor vs engine hoo ha by calling the thing that makes the car go the "lump".

JimC
07-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Being a word geek, I can't keep my fingers out of this motor vs. engine discussion any longer.

I won't talk about the modern definition, which was already posted, but instead, I want to look backwards. I have on my bookshelf a copy of the 1962 Webster's Unabridged English language. This book was produced years before the last Stude was delivered. According to Webster, the definition of motor is:

1. Anything that produces or imparts motion
2. an engine, especially an internal combustion engine for propelling a vehicle,
3. a vehicle propelled by an engine; especially, a motorcar; an automobile,
4. in electricity, a machine for converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

and it goes on to list a few other uses. The point is, three of the four listed apply to a vehicle with any form of propulsion. The number one definition is vague enough that really, anything producing motion fits. Indeed, even in rocketry, the part that makes the rocket go is called the motor, and it's nothing like either an electric or internal combustion engine. It's pretty much a gas tank with a nozzle and a lighter. And yet the world's smartest scientists call it the motor. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me :D

The origin of the word is from the 15th century Latin word motor, which literally meant "mover" or "prime mover", which is a reference to God. The connotation was that this is a force that moves us from beyond our control. Because of this, a couple decades prior to the turn of the 20th century, the French came up with the term servo-moteur, or as we know it today, servo or servomotor, to define a motor that is a slave to the rest of the mechanism or operator. But that's beside the point.

In short, if it makes something go, it's okay to call it a motor.

That was fun! (For me, anyway :D )

PlainBrownR2
07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Outboard engines

Engineboat

Enginecycle

Enped

Just try and get people to say that.... Just try:whome::!:

It's a return to the Victorian age again...or maybe a scene from the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". Anybody get a load of Professor Frank von Hausenschnoot's Mechanically Powered Quadromobile? :lol:

Well, hey.... mine runs like a SEWING MACHINE. So what does that mean??? Should I switch from motor oil to machine oil??? I hate to think of how much that oil change would be considering machine oil costs about $3 for each one of those tiny 4 oz bottles.

Hopefully I don't ruin the punchline, it just means it runs like a quiet, smooth, precision instrument. And no, you don't wanna run whole quarts of Clipper oil in there, as it's made for extremely small and finely machined parts, and it's a weeeeee bit thin!! :lol:

To further make a mess of the topic, the Saturn V was a rocket engine. However, I used rocket motors when I wanted to launch model rockets in the backyard! :lol:

SN-60
07-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Although GM made many of them, I think that the Chevy '348' could have also made this list. They looked odd when new, and they still appear a bit strange!

jclary
07-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Well...almost any engine/motor besides a SBC could be considered uncommon. In fact, even a Ford engine in something besides a Ford could be somewhat "uncommon." As we have discussed many times...these kinds of "lists" are very subjective. Just because an individual has somehow managed to become affiliated with an automotive themed publication, does not mean he has any special automotive knowledge, talent, or insight. Like each of us, he has an opinion. The difference is...he has something beyond a forum for expressing his.:)