My old Champ....... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old Champ....... again

Anymore it's a rare day that I look to see what's offered on ebay. I do sometimes look if someone posts about a particular car here - but I don't go just to browse. Couple of weeks back tho, a friend of mine casually asked if I'd seen my old Champ make a run at the bay - I hadn't. Not that I'm looking to buy it back, but it is a bit of a different Champ and I did have alot of memorable times with and in that veteran hauler.

We've talked about it on the forums before. It's an 8E-12 with a factory 5-spdOD behind a V8. The one thing that makes it stand out beyond that is my addition of a '57 car speedo blister/head. I was setting the truck up to suit myself and I'd decided that I'd use the two holes in the dash - the one for the instruments and the one for the monaural speaker to serve as ports for stereo speakers. I had a Sony boom box as my entertainment system and it worked as well as I'd hoped. This was in the late 70s, so I could use the various radio functions as well as play my cassette tapes. Other mods included a second fuel tank and a selector valve under the seat. It sported a walk-in camper shell when I had it and I literally lived outta that Champ for weeks at a time. I only wish I'd kept a diary during those years.

Last time someone brought this Champ to my attention was when it was listed with a classic car broker in Los Angeles. The asking price was in the low teens which was somewhat better than when it was on ebay for $19K!!!

Anyway, in '82 I was living in LA and just about broke. I sold the Champ at a Newport Beach auto auction for a grand. And at that, I had to let it go no reserve so I could have it run in the auction - I didn't have the listing fees! When I finally got paid, my return was seven hundred bucks Heh - I had paid $600 for it a few years prior. Sadly - within a couple of weeks of my selling it, I got a job and was back on my feet financially. If only I had forseen. I'd probably STILL have that cool old Champ.

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I just love the manner in which some sellers attempt to sell a vehicle. Spelling errors are forgiveable in most cases, but when you're wanting to sell for profit or to minimize your losses, why not have a knowledgeable person check behind you on your advertising before going public!

> The truck is equipped with a "New Processed 5-speed transmission". I wonder who processed it?

> When did he (or Roscomacaw) ever gage the clutch in that Champ. Is that common to Champs?

Could still be worth $19,000 with those features!

Anyway, a good chuckle!

Frank Drumheller
    Locust Grove, VA
    60S-w6
    M16-52 1948 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Comment

Looks like a cousin of my 62 Champ! Good looking truck. I know what you mean Bob about missing one you used to have. I recently wrote about my first car & I'd mortgage the farm if I could find my old 69 Pontiac too.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I was looking this truck over a few days ago. I think it has run a couple of times on EBay. I was wondering about that magic eye speedometer. Now I know how it got there. Does it block visibility?
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yeah, I was sorry I'd sold it right after I did so. But eating somehow seemed essential at the time. I had an economical car to drive, so the truck was just sitting alot.
          The guy who was the winning bidder was suffering the wrath of his wife that day. She was thoroughly pissed at him for buying a stupid old truck. He was so anxious to get away from her verbal barrage that he was more than happy to drive me the 30 miles back to my residence that day. Otherwise I'd have had to thumb a ride. My gut tells me the guy probably dumped the Champ in short order. At one point - after a couple years had passed - I tried to find that truck again, but couldn't.

Ed, it's relationship to the seat is no different than it was in a '57 sedan, so it wasn't in the way. The Champ's dash assy is essentially the same sheet metal that debuted with the '56 sedan model cars. The upper section just sported a hole for the speedo head. If I recall right, I used the upper dash section as well as the speedo pod from a '57 Commander sedan I'd parted out.

And as to the stiff clutch - some dufus must've put TOO strong a clutch in it. It was fine when I had it. I DID have the clutch pedal/arm assy drop off one time, but that was more due to the inadequate linkage setup they went to with the 8E series Champs.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X