Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ Stude Custom

http://www.v8.co.nz/page/2

As we all know, colour can make or break a car, and Trev spent plenty of time with John from Resene Automotive in Hamilton coming up with exactly what he was after. The chassis, inner guards and firewall are all Du Pont Refinish 2K, while the exterior is finished in lacquer of the same brand and colour.

This article is from NZV8 issue 95. Get your copy here.
    Engine: 490ci big-block Chev, shaved and smoothed 454 block, four-bolt mains, high-volume oil pump, JP timing chain, Hypereutectic pistons, 10:1 compression, Isky Mega cam, Edelbrock performer heads, 2.19-inch intake valves, 1.88-inch exhaust valves, Edelbrock tunnel-ram, twin Holley carbs, Bosch coil, Bosch leads, Carter fuel pump, 1961 Studebaker fuel tank, custom HPC-coated two-inch headers, three-inch lake pipes, custom radiator, electric fan, Toyota heater, Weiand water pump
    Driveline: GM Turbo 400, 2000rpm stall converter, nine-inch diff, 2.7:1 ratio
    Suspension: Torana front end, 28mm front sway bar, gas shocks, HQ stub axles, leaf rear springs, two-inch lowering blocks, EB Falcon sway bar, air rear shocks
    Brakes: Falcon master cylinder, VH44 booster, Landcruiser vacuum pump, vented discs, Holden HZ calipers, Mitsubishi handbrake lever, 11-inch Ford rear drums
    Wheels/tyres:Exterior: Shaved trim, custom body mods, custom tail lights, frenched headlights, extended sills, radiused hood, boot and doors, custom rear fins, narrowed bumper, Du Pont Refinish custom paint
    Interior: Full custom trim, custom panels, custom dash, custom seats, HQ Holden steering wheel, Promatic shifter, Smiths gauges, hidden switches, VL Commodore steering column, Sony audio
    Chassis:Performance: 500hp ATW at 5000rpm, 800Nm at 2500rpm

Currently Owned Cars: 1947 Studebaker (chopped, channelled, shortened, sectioned), 1950 Studebaker custom delivery [NZV8 Issue No. 51], 1951 Studebaker Champion (chopped, custom), 1952 Studebaker Commander (Restored), 1953 Studebaker Landcruiser Sedan
    Dream Car: This is it!
    Trev thanks: Special thanks to Dianne, my ever-patient wife; Greg Knight for the technical info, direction and help; John at Resene Automotive and Light Industrial; Shane and Greg at Mastertrim; Ross and Rob at Forlong and Maisey; Paul at Repco; Paul at Aussie Spares; Noel at Nostalgia Motors; Mark at United Sheetmetal; Peter Delaway; Glen Odlum; John at Pan Pacific; Dion Coombs and Rennie; Paul and Gary at Te Rapa Auto Electrics; George at Paniflow; Justin Smith; Brian at Audio Active

Words: Todd Wylie Photos: Adam Croy
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

All I can say is: WOW!!! What a craftsman!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, that Chevy motor is a little distressing, but at least it looks good. Maybe it's a McKinnon

All joking aside, this is a job very well done. I've seen a lot of 53/54 jobs that were nice, but didn't seem to fit the car. This just looks right everywhere. I know I'd drive it. (Though imagine the confusion of a RHD Studebaker at the car shows. People already think they're from another country half the time as it is! )
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

This car was built out of probably the rustiest 1953 coupe on earth. One of the previous owners used it to put his boat in the ocean...by backing the car down the boat ramp and into the salt water! There wasn't much left of it after that. Trevor Halstead is a true craftsmen and deserves huge credit for putting another great looking Stude on the road...and getting loads of good PR for our favorite brand of car. I am proud to say that I was able to supply some parts for this car.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
          This car was built out of probably the rustiest 1953 coupe on earth. One of the previous owners used it to put his boat in the ocean...by backing the car down the boat ramp and into the salt water! There wasn't much left of it after that. Trevor Halstead is a true craftsmen and deserves huge credit for putting another great looking Stude on the road...and getting loads of good PR for our favorite brand of car. I am proud to say that I was able to supply some parts for this car.

Chris.
          Hello from Dunedin, this car was my late Fathers (Bill Ballantyne), so I'm happy to fill in some of the gaps, and set the record straight on one thing! Yes my Father did use it to tow a boat from time to time. It was a 23 foot cabin cruiser named "Avanti" Yes he was a Studebaker enthusiast. He never, however backed the car anywhere near the water! He would rarely even let the wheel bearings on the trailer be submerged!!! Also, the boat was generally used in fresh water such as the Taieri River or the lakes in Central Otago. The reason the car would have been so rusty is it sat unused for around 25 years, mainly in an open car port. It was parked up in the early 60s after it ran a bearing. For reasons unknown to myself or anyone else, that's where it remained until the mid 80s. Dad started a mechanical restoration and in fact, rebuilt a 289 motor for it. This was running when he sold the car. My father was a marine & automotive engineer, however he was no panel beater. He was around 70 years of age at this time and realized the restoration was beyond him. He was hopeful that a friend of his, Gil Wallace would purchase it and bring it back to its former glory. However, Gil was reluctant to take on such a large project at his time of life. It was subsequently sold to Dave Collet, who I think was a panel beater. Unfortunately, he ran into matrimonial problems, and the car was sold again. I lost track of it then.
          If anyone's interested, dad also owned a bomber nose Stude convertible, that ended up in Duncan Rutherfords collection in Nelson, and prior to that, he owned and raced (Occasionally) a 38 straight 8 coupe. I have a photo of him competing in the Wharf Circuit in the 38 during the 50s and I believe he raced in the Nelson beach races also. I see on the forum someone has a 38 coupe, so I suspect it's dads old car, as there were very rare here. Happy to try and answer any questions anyone has.

Cheers, Craig.

Comment

Love that orange!
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by spsduc View Post
              .............and prior to that, he owned and raced (Occasionally) a 38 straight 8 coupe. I have a photo of him competing in the Wharf Circuit in the 38 during the 50s and I believe he raced in the Nelson beach races also.

Cheers, Craig.
              Hi Craig, could you possibly scan and upload the picture you have? A lot of guys here would probably like to see that
              Cheers,
              Phil.

Comment

Working...
              X