headliner glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: headliner glue

For all you people that have installed headliners,what type of glue do you use to glue the ends around the front & rear windsheilds!Thanks in advance. Mac.

I explained how to do it in this thread. You do not have to remove the front and rear glass to install a headliner.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Good advice radio! But,-The glass was already out of my '61 when I bought the car.[I don't know what the OP is working on] I installed the headliner with 3M SUPER weatherstrip adhesive in a spray can.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I've only done older cars with tacking strip; no glue.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Reading several other NG forums, it looks like D.A.P.'s "Weldwood, Landau Top Adhesive" gets the most rave reviews. It is high temp, which is very important for headliners, and is strong enough to glue a car to a light-pole.
          One installer said he likes it when someone tells him they used the 3M spray stuff, cause it just about guarantees him a job in around 90 days.

If I decide to glue the new headliner to the old pieces left sticking out from under the front & rear windshield seals, that is the stuff I will use.

I looked up tacking strip info, but could not figure how it would be used in a Stude headliner application. But I'd like to learn, since NO glue sounds preferable, in avoiding the messy glue some folks complain of.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            I've only done older cars with tacking strip; no glue.
            What kind of tacking strip? I have found 1/8" thick X 5/8" wide, convertible top tacking strip, that could serve as an anchor to glue the vinyl to, by first gluing it to the metal, than the vinyl to it. Is this how you did it? If not, can you elaborate on your method please?
            Thanks,
            Joe

Comment

When installing a headliner be sure to clean any rust or corrosion on the bows before attempting to install as you need to stretch the headliner along them toward the teasel strips at the sides. As for the adhesive I've used the 3M w/no problems. Best to do a headliner here in the NE as the weather has been hotter than Hades lately! Good luck! Rob in PA.

Comment

I did some reading on other NGs last night, and discovered tacking strip used for auto headliner is different from that for furniture or carpet. For autos, it is a 1/8" to 1/2" thick strip of rubber/vinyl/plastic, 1/2" to 1" wide. It is glued and/or riveted along the edges of the roof and serves as an anchor for the headliner, which is glued and/or stapled to it. The OEM garnishing goes on top to hide any distortion.

Originally, most cars of the 50s-60s used wood or cardboard tacking strips, but current repro is rubbery. Some creative folks mentioned using a fan-belt to substitute, and about 200 tiny alligator clips to hold the edges in place while glue dried underneath.

Tacking strips would only be needed on the front & rear of a Stude C/K body, since other, OEM provisions are already in place for the sides. But the problem is holding the headliner in place while the glue sets. There is no place to use alligator clips on the front & rear. Possibly a few strategically placed staples, later removed.

This has became a challenge to me, and I was hoping to hear from folks here who have been there-done that. But it looks like 53-57 Chevy folks are the most experienced in this arena. Their Shop Manuals apparently called for removal of the windshields also, but that is not current practice for most folks.

The Louisville Street Rod National is coming up in a few weeks also, so I may glean some info there as well. Will keep y'all updated.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 07-24-2013, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Joe,
                  I just pulled the headliner out of my '54 K today. It had the cardboard tack strips you refered to in your earlier post. The headliner was not under the windsheid and window rubber as I expected it to be. I plan on using the same tack strips again, maybe along with the top adhesive you mentioned.
                  There was a huge mouse nest above the headliner, and the little buggers caused the grip strips along the sides to rust out. The left side could be cleaned up and re-used, but the drivers side is toast! Do you know if these are available, or if there is a universal replacement somewhere? ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	100_5580.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1683031Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5578.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1683032Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5569.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1683033