Avanti spare tire cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti spare tire cover?

After the recent talk about Avanti spares, I got to wondering if a genuine metal spare tire cover might have some value. Anybody know???
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Do you mean genuine WOOD? I haven't seen a metal one.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If there's a metal cover, I would think it was fabricated by someone for their own car. If the factory didn't use carpeted wood, I would expect the cover to have been fiberglass as the rest of the body and other parts were made that way at MFG and Studebaker, though it would have been very prone to cracking and breakage in the trunk.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Interesting. I took this cover from the trunk of a wrecked 63. It had been wrecked in '64 and had set on a AMC dealer's back lot until the 90s.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I do not remember ever seeing a metal spare tire cover for a '63-'64 Avanti. Do you know how early the subject 1963 was? It may be some rare part or just something someone made up or used from another car. Is it an exact fit for the spare tire well?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder if its an exterior metal spare tire cover meant for a one of the larger size travel trailers where someone discovered it was a 'perfect fit' in the Avanti spare tire well.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X