PDA

View Full Version : Dick Van Dyke's Avanti up for auction

JBOYLE
07-21-2013, 09:27 AM
As previously reported here, the Peterson museum is having a bit of a sell off. Among the cars being sold is the white 63 Avanti originally bought by film/TV star Dick Van Dyke. Its serial is 1783. It would be interesting to see what the car goes for. What's neat about this car is Van Dyke was/is a car guy and a big star of the Avanti era (as apposed to an Avanti owned by a star of the 40s or 70s...if you get my point). http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=BB13&ID=r375&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars . In other Studebaker related news, Phyllis Diller's Excalibur Series I is also up for sale: http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=BB13&ID=r463&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars

SN-60
07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Looks like a #1 Avanti to Me!.....Beautiful car.

62champ
07-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I thought the general consensus was that the inner part of the grill was body colored...

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/BB13/BB13_r375_04.jpg

spokejr
07-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Actually, there are a few Studies in the auction, this should connect to the full catalog;
http://auctionsamerica.com/catalog/2013/BB13/
While the full catalog is good for an overview, the details John pulled up even better but I haven't figured out how to get there for any of the other cars. How'd you do it John?

SN-60
07-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I thought the general consensus was that the inner part of the grill was body colored...

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/BB13/BB13_r375_04.jpg

Oh Oh, BAD subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

62champ
07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh Oh, BAD subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I did not say anything about the bia-ply tires...

t walgamuth
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I went through the entire catalogue. What an impressive offering of cars! I'd love to attend just to look at the cars! I especially like the unfinished Indy car.

Andy R.
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
What's neat about this car is Van Dyke was/is a car guy and a big star of the Avanti era.[/URL]

Before bidding, I'd need them to demonstrate functionality of the wings, floatation system and rear seat ejector!
I've seen what this man does to cars!

http://tinyurl.com/lmu49ec

JBOYLE
07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
While the full catalog is good for an overview, the details John pulled up even better but I haven't figured out how to get there for any of the other cars. How'd you do it John? From the main catalog pages, click on a specific car and you'll get the full write-up of the car along with photos that automatically change.

lschuc
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
This Avanti was featured on the front cover of Avanti Magazine Issue 156 Fall/Winter 2011, and inside on pages 16-17. The Avanti was part of the 2011 exhibit, "California Design, 1930-1965: Living in a Modern Way" at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. When the exhibit concluded at the end of March of last year, the show went on display in Japan.
Petersen Automotive Museum curator Leslie Kendall at the time confirmed that the car was a part of the Petersen's permanent collection. The museum had the car since 1994. Dick Van Dyke bought the Avanti through a dealership in Hollywood on Dec. 20, 1962 and the owner's manual is autographed by Raymond Loewy. At the time, Kendall rated the car a number 9 on a scale of 1-10. The Petersen is the third owner of record.

In Saturday's LA Times article on the auction sale, the museum is unloading more than 100 rare and often historically important cars, in under-the-radar auctions, to finance a dramatic renovation of its building.

The strategy, museum experts say, violates the standards most museums consider central to their mission. Those ethical standards are typically set by accrediting bodies seeking to protect the public's interest in historical preservation. Unlike some other major automotive museums, the Petersen is not accredited by the leading museum association.
The article is claiming that the auction of the cars violates most museum's standards.
Those ethical standards are typically set by accrediting bodies seeking to protect the public's interest in historical preservation. Unlike some other major automotive museums, the Petersen is not accredited by the leading museum association.

Using such sales, known in the industry as deaccession, to finance capital projects is generally considered out of bounds, said Sally Yerkovich, head of the Institute of Museum Ethics at Seton Hall University.

jimmijim8
07-21-2013, 08:02 PM
I think the Studebaker museum auctions cars. no? jimmijim

JBOYLE
07-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I think the Studebaker museum auctions cars. no? jimmijim Yes, donated cars that are surplus to requirements or even donated to the museum knowing that they'll be sold. Not cars that are part of the Permanent collection. I don't think the SNM would sell Lincoln's carriage to fund a new atrium or snack bar..:)

Samjoe
07-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Yes, donated cars that are surplus to requirements or even donated to the museum knowing that they'll be sold. Not cars that are part of the Permanent collection. I don't think the SNM would sell Lincoln's carriage to fund a new atrium or snack bar..:)

I don't know, maybe they should see how much they could get?
They would only have to sell one, wouldn't they?
This sounds like a great idea,some really rich guy could drive his kids around in it.
Hey, we could save lots of money,by not having any cars at all.
We could just take pictures and put them on the wall.
It would be just like having them in person.

Now doesn't this make selling parts of a collection sound ridiculous.
Lets ask Dick Van Dyke what he thinks about it?
And I'll bet it won't be a happy camper answer.

studegary
07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Now doesn't this make selling parts of a collection sound ridiculous.
Lets ask Dick Van Dyke what he thinks about it?
And I'll bet it won't be a happy camper answer.

The Museum did not get the Avanti from Dick. It had another owner in between. Once you sell a car, you no longer control it.

scott.rodgers
07-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I've seen this car on display at both the Petersen and the LA County museum. It's in very nice condition. I'm going to watch the auction to see how much it goes for. Wish I had enough money!

Warren Webb
07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I attended the Petersen when this Avanti was unveiled. To show it as an example of what Studebaker produced, I don't think so. Sure it was a nice enough car but the repaint was, in my opinion, marginal. Good enough to show at the local café group, sure, but at such a prestigious place the Petersen is, no.

JBOYLE
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
I attended the Petersen when this Avanti was unveiled. To show it as an example of what Studebaker produced, I don't think so. Sure it was a nice enough car but the repaint was, in my opinion, marginal. Good enough to show at the local café group, sure, but at such a prestigious place the Petersen is, no. But the problem is that without its celebrity owner, an Avanti wouldn't be in that museum in the first place. I'd rather a so-so Avanti be there than none at all. :)

Bob Caser
07-22-2013, 07:14 PM
But the problem is that without its celebrity owner, an Avanti wouldn't be in that museum in the first place. I'd rather a so-so Avanti be there than none at all. :)

There is another Avanti at the Peterson, a 63 Black, 4 speed, R2 that was owned and donated by Wendell Hanks. This was an award winning Avanti for many years and featured in many magazine articles.

Bob Caser

SN-60
07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
There is another Avanti at the Peterson, a 63 Black, 4 speed, R2 that was owned and donated by Wendell Hanks. This was an award winning Avanti for many years and featured in many magazine articles.

Bob Caser

Yes, Wendell Hank's black '63.......Talk about a show stopper!!!