Finally on the road - 61 Lark Conv from Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally on the road - 61 Lark Conv from Omaha

After 12 months of labor the test ride takes place tomorrow....battery is on the charger. Except for rebuilding the motor, we have redone/rebuilt everything on the drivetrain. Inclusive of new rear springs, shocks, exhaust, filters, gas tank, fuel line, radiator, fuel pump, water pump, brakes, carb, tires and steering column reservoir seal. Also all new fluids all around. It is black with a white top and red interior. Prior owner said the car hasn't been on the road for 10 years. Will keep you posted and hope to post pics.

So you're just teasing us huh Joe? Now we gotta wait for the Pics.

StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You should send it back to Omaha if it's giving you trouble. I'll take it off your hands. I won't even charge you a bunch. We'll call it a favor.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Drive it up to Grand Rapids MN next Sunday for their car show, you can meet me by Milaca on your way up highway 169 and I'll drive my '64 Daytona convert along to.

More info for car show & swap meet here- http://itascavcc.bravehost.com/
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bad news...got it all cleaned up, put the wheels on, filled her with gas, primed the carb and the new fuel pump we installed from Studebaker Intl does not work. Based off of two prior experiences with them, I am sure I am stuck with it. Will source another one this week and give it another try in a few weeks. Bummer!!!!!!!!

Once I get the car running it will be going back to Omaha with my brother for a long winter nap. I need space. Garage is getting a little tight.

Comment

I just picked up a fuel pump from my local NAPA dealer. Part number: M2211. I'll be installing it tomorrow. I think the fittings are smaller, but that's an easy fix.
            sals54

Comment

You might check the fuel line before you give up on the fuel pump. My Lark, after sitting for years, had the same problem. I disconnected the fuel line and tried to blow air through it with the compressor and found it was totally blocked. After replacement, the car ran like a champ(no pun intended). I broke open the old line in several places and found it full of this brownish powdery gunk. I assume it was a combination of rust and old fuel that deteriorated and evaporated over time. Now I have a clean tank, new fuel line(with in-line filter), new(or rebuilt) fuel pump, and a rebuilt carburetor. Life's good.

Comment

I have room for it in Omaha. Was that Joe's car?

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  So you're just teasing us huh Joe? Now we gotta wait for the Pics.

Since we are just teasing..

Another, "almost on the road 61 Lark Conv..

Too bad MN is so far from AZ as I have gotten to know this car inside and out.. Again!

Comment

Yes it is Joe's car. Cute little car, certainly looks dwarfed between two 58 Packard Station Wagons at my place. As for the fuel line, it is clean as a whistle. I siphoned gas up to the carb and turned the engine over and the fuel pump is not pumping it. Should have it fixed in short order. I promise I will get some pics posted. My daughter really likes cleaning and polishing this one.

Comment

This whole thread gives me a little envy. My wife recently agrees that I could get a convertible for my next car acquisition. Of course, I couldn't afford much of anything now, so I'll have to enjoy seeing progress on these cars until I can afford my own.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                      X