backup lights on 62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup lights on 62 hawk

well i should have known when I took the lenses off the backup lights and there were no bulbs that there was more issues than bulbs.
    Anyone know where the backup light switch is located sounds like it is bad as the lights are on all the time even in park etc. also noticed when checking the steering column that I have fluid leaking from under the steering box its power steering fluid and is steady dripping so not sure where or what is making it leak any suggestions would be great.

62 GT Hawk
    84 vette
    31 Ford Pickup

The backup light switch is also the neutral switch to allow starting ONLY in Neutral and Park, it is located on the right side of the steering column under the dash.

IF the car has the correct Bendix type power steering that all unaltered 1962 and on Hawks have, the oil dripping from under the steering gear must be actually coming from a leaking P/S Control Valve which is connected to the pitman arm off of the steering gear. Repair kits to repair the Valve are available at all of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

When looking for the source of a leak, always go to the HIGHEST point that is wet to find the actual SOURCE, rather than where it is leaving the car for the ground!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is this a big job or little job getting it off and apart for repair?

62 GT Hawk
      84 vette
      31 Ford Pickup

Comment

It is an easy job to remove the (2) screws holding it to the steering column, it cannot be repaired, most likely has a broken ball on the tripper lever. But the Studebaker Shop Manual describes the installation, which requires the correct positioning of the shifter to prevent breaking the ball end.

I actually have a new NOS one running on ebay right now!
        It's here:

quote:Originally posted by Gordy911

Is this a big job or little job getting it off and apart for repair?
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

well I bid on the new one so if I win it I may have to purchase some expertise to put it in without wrecking it.

62 GT Hawk
          84 vette
          31 Ford Pickup

Comment

Working...
          X