1956 two door station wagons, availability and value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 two door station wagons, availability and value

While at the meet in Colorado Springs, my wife took a liking to a couple 56 wagons that were there. I'm curious as to what these are worth in various conditions from unrestored through restored driver quality. Are there many out there? Any available? I'm probably more curious than serious but I've been in this mode before and ended up buying.

Remember, Nels; all 1956 Studebaker station wagons were 2-doors, even the El Cheapo Champion Pelham. So if you want one of the fancy President Pinehursts you and Margie admired in Colorado Springs, you'll need to be specific.

('Next time you are through West Chicago IL, stop at Scott Stastny's DeLuxe Autowerks and drool over his gorgeous, soft yellow 1957 Commander Parkview 2-door wagon with supercharged Golden Hawk power; gee, it's pretty. But it would be easier to sway Margie toward Scott's '57 than to talk Scott into selling it!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not sure how specific I need to be. Probably would need to be a V8 to haul a small camper, the President would be best, I'm sure but something lesser may fit the bill?
      Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Remember, Nels; all 1956 Studebaker station wagons were 2-doors, even the El
      heapo Champion Pelham. So if you want one of the fancy President Pinehursts you and Margie admired in Colorado Springs, you'll need to be specific.

('Next time you are through West Chicago IL, stop at Scott Stastny's DeLuxe Autowerks and drool over his gorgeous, soft yellow 1957 Commander Parkview 2-door wagon with supercharged Golden Hawk power; gee, it's pretty. But it would be easier to sway Margie toward Scott's '57 than to talk Scott into selling it!) BP

Comment

Sure, a 259-powered Commander Parkview would do fine for your little camper trailer. It would be a lot less money than a President Pinehurst, too...with fewer pieces of one-year, one-model-only stainless-steel trim to find for the sides!

[And with over twice as many 1956 Parkviews made as 1956 Pinehursts (3,333 versus 1,522), it would also be easier to find a Parkview.] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does anyone know what has become of Mark vanDeventer's '56 Pinehurst? For that matter - what's become of Mark? He had a number of sharp, cool Studes - including a '58 Provincial that was RHD.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In Sacramento in 2003, there where three Pinehursts in a row. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=Pinehurst

Craig

Comment

If I were ever to get another wagon it would be a 56 they are super nice to look at and the colors you could have are out of this world, the yellow and black has always been my favorite , would be willing to trade something for one if anyone is interested. project or not.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

'56 Studebaker sedans in general are nice looking. A bit 'cleaner' than what came later. And the '56 2dr wagons with the fiberglass GH style fins really do have 'eye appeal'!

Comment

It takes all kinds. I walked right by very nice '56 wagons at the IM, but a friend who was there with me said they were his favorite of everything at the show.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

If you could settle for a 57 this looks like a good deal, comes with a 58 too. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3935399179.html Oh it's a 4 door sorry, didn't look that close. Still a good deal I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                      If you could settle for a 57 this looks like a good deal, comes with a 58 too. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3935399179.html Oh it's a 4 door sorry, didn't look that close. Still a good deal I think.
                      And, it's a Broadmoor! Nice.

Comment

I will offer this once and only once. That's cuz I would really love to keep it. But I am building my house right now and am sure it'll take a while to get to it..... soooo...... here it is:

It's killing me to even post this, but if you're looking for a good 56 Commander Wagon for a GREAT price... here it is. This car runs, in fact, I drove it here from my other house. It has a 259 V8 with automatic trans. The brakes are in need of complete overhaul, but I put wheel cylinder kits in it and a master cylinder kit in it just to make it movable. The body on this car is in very good shape. The front floors have rust in them, but for some reason, not in the body. The tailgate works and the hinges are not rusted out.
                        Anyway, this one time offer will conclude with this price: $2500.
                        If not, it's OK, I will build it when I get to it.
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          I'd sure like to see pictures of how it turned out!!!
                          I remember that car being for sale way back when- he got a good car to start with.
                          He then built what I have been wanting to for many many years.

But mine is an automatic...

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          In Sacramento in 2003, there where three Pinehursts in a row. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=Pinehurst Craig
                          And at the time-- they were ALL owned by the same owner too- were they not?
                          I am thinking one has left the fleet since then for some reason...

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                          Oh it's a 4 door sorry, didn't look that close. Still a good deal I think.
                          As do I, my friend, as do I!!!
                          And Sal's ain't a bad one either.

Now, my opinion may be a bit flawed, since one of the wagons below has been in my life since the day I was born...

But I have ALWAYS thought '57s looked better then the '56s.
                          So the saying IS true- opinions can, and do differ!!!

StudeDave '57
                          Last edited by StudeDave57; 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM. Reason: added/changed words
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sal, I'll run yours past my wife but I think she would prefer one more ready to go. I think she knows I'd never get it finished.

[Q

UOTE=sals54;759701]I will offer this once and only once. That's cuz I would really love to keep it. But I am building my house right now and am sure it'll take a while to get to it..... soooo...... here it is:

It's killing me to even post this, but if you're looking for a good 56 Commander Wagon for a GREAT price... here it is. This car runs, in fact, I drove it here from my other house. It has a 259 V8 with automatic trans. The brakes are in need of complete overhaul, but I put wheel cylinder kits in it and a master cylinder kit in it just to make it movable. The body on this car is in very good shape. The front floors have rust in them, but for some reason, not in the body. The tailgate works and the hinges are not rusted out.
                            Anyway, this one time offer will conclude with this price: $2500.
                            If not, it's OK, I will build it when I get to it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

So Sal you drove that all the way from your old house to the new one huh? you didn't run any stop lights on the way did you? I might be tempted...Bob
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X