Andy Granatelli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Granatelli

Some of you may recall from a prior post that the original owner of my 1964 Daytona convertible may have been racing legend Andy Granatelli. Attached is a copy of the factory production order I recieved from the Studebaker National Museum indicating the Granatelli reference. The red boxes in the scanned image were added by me to highlight the Granatelli reference. Thanks to help from a Studebaker forum member (you know who you are) I was able to obtain contact information for Mr. Granatelli. He has graciously agreed to autograph the production order toward the goal of preserving the car's provenance. I would also like to especially thank George Krem for assisting me in obtaining the correct documentation from the museum.

As they say.....even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Granatelli.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1739909
    Last edited by David Daoust; 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM. Reason: typos
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Very interesting Car David, I am very glad you are able to preserve it's Great History, and of course the very sharp looking well equipped convertible!

It's order is interesting in that unlike the Stude. Corp. Zone Office Cars like my '64 Daytona Hardtop, it has a good amount of options but not loaded like mine.

Maybe even Andy was somewhat of a CASO! No AM/FM, only the Windshield is Tinted, no Recliners, no TT, no Power Shift, no Clock or Tach., no Padded Visors, no Day & Night Rear View Mirror and no Firestone 500 Tires. Also no Premium Fuel R1 Engine.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It might have been for Mrs. Granatelli...

Craig

Comment

Cool find! Congratulations on it, and on the AG signature! I wouldn't care if it were the Mrs. car.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Russ (the former owner) is gonna get a kick outta that information right there!!!

Nice find David!!!
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I have a cool story about my experience with Mr. Granatelli early last year. I had an old Studebaker ad that showed emphasis on all the Avanti speed records at Bonneville under Mr. Granatelli produced as a poster and wanted to send two copies his way. One to keep and the sign and return for me. I also enclosed an enlargement photo of my Avanti for his signature. I had no contact information for him and took a chance sending it all to an address I found on goggle. About two weeks later the phone rang on a Sunday evening and my wife answered, she said this is a Mr. Granatelli on the phone and wants to talk with you. We had a very nice conversation that lasted nearly an hour. Later that week I received everything back I had sent him all signed. Very cool.
            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I can believe it. Andy has done it all and does not need anything I don't Imagine. I suspect he remembers back on the glory days of his Studey record runs with good feelings. It was a busy time in his life I am sure what with running an Indy car team too and all his various businesses.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
                Some of you may recall from a prior post that the original owner of my 1964 Daytona convertible may have been racing legend Andy Granatelli. He has graciously agreed to autograph the production order toward the goal of preserving the car's provenance. I would also like to especially thank George Krem for assisting me in obtaining the correct documentation from the museum.
                I certainly hope you got your production order signed by him. If so, yours MIGHT very well be his LAST autograph. (Not counting his signatures on recent credit card receipts, etc.)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                  I have a cool story about my experience with Mr. Granatelli early last year. I had an old Studebaker ad that showed emphasis on all the Avanti speed records at Bonneville under Mr. Granatelli produced as a poster and wanted to send two copies his way. One to keep and the sign and return for me. I also enclosed an enlargement photo of my Avanti for his signature. I had no contact information for him and took a chance sending it all to an address I found on goggle. About two weeks later the phone rang on a Sunday evening and my wife answered, she said this is a Mr. Granatelli on the phone and wants to talk with you. We had a very nice conversation that lasted nearly an hour. Later that week I received everything back I had sent him all signed. Very cool.
                  Hey, that's really something!

Comment

Working...
                  X