Modified Studebaker's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Studebaker's

I know there is a lot of negative opinions about modified Studebaker's but I have to admit I'm being pulled to the "dark side". It started with my 425 Caddy swap and power disk brakes my Scotsman pickup, both made a real improvement in driving over the stock six. Now after driving the 59 truck I bought from Gary that has a Pontiac Trans Am clipped frame, I'm pretty impressed. OK, it does not feel like a Studebaker truck anymore, but in a good way. The power steering, disk brakes, and tilt wheel make it drive and ride more like my 90's Ford pickup then a old C cab truck and the AC is sure nice. I still would not "clip" a nice Studebaker stock car or truck, but I better understand why others do and will be less critical of their choice.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Scotsman
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

I don't having anything against 'clipping' a frame, but it's hard to find one done well. Hot rods rule!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I don't having anything against 'clipping' a frame, but it's hard to find one done well. Hot rods rule!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Interesting...
        I wonder if there is a corrolation between modified Studebakers and wimmen'?
        (What with transplants,implants, and other non stock surgery?)
        Some guys like their wimmen' pure and unmodified, and show disdain for the those that are 'clipped'[}]....
        Then there are those models that modifying just won't help..
        (you choose, Stude or wimmen')
        Some say the ride is so much better when they are modified[]...
        Some say messin' with the stock body is aggregious[xx(]..
        Some go too far.... (55DDD)
        Some not far enough... (A anything)
        But.... Good quality work trumps a lot of objections..
        In the end, they all look.
        They can't help it.
        They have to look.
        Drooling is optional.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting...
          I wonder if there is a corrolation between modified Studebakers and wimmen'?
          (What with transplants,implants, and other non stock surgery?)
          Some guys like their wimmen' pure and unmodified, and show disdain for the those that are 'clipped'[}]....
          Then there are those models that modifying just won't help..
          (you choose, Stude or wimmen')
          Some say the ride is so much better when they are modified[]...
          Some say messin' with the stock body is aggregious[xx(]..
          Some go too far.... (55DDD)
          Some not far enough... (A anything)
          But.... Good quality work trumps a lot of objections..
          In the end, they all look.
          They can't help it.
          They have to look.
          Drooling is optional.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff,
            Ugly wimmen may be modified too.

My brother-in-law once dated a lady that he wanted to enter in an ugly contest, but the judges said nobody could be that ugly and still be stock.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
            53 Starliner Hardtop
            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Jeff,
              Ugly wimmen may be modified too.

My brother-in-law once dated a lady that he wanted to enter in an ugly contest, but the judges said nobody could be that ugly and still be stock.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
              53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

I kinda have to agree with JP. After driving that yellow Coupe Express that time, (hint hint, Jeff) I changed my mind about well done modifieds.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

I kinda have to agree with JP. After driving that yellow Coupe Express that time, (hint hint, Jeff) I changed my mind about well done modifieds.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

In Las Vegas (where I live) I've seen quite a few after-marktet and bolt-on components that looke spectacular... I've seen some on cars too.

Las Vegas, NV
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

In Las Vegas (where I live) I've seen quite a few after-marktet and bolt-on components that looke spectacular... I've seen some on cars too.

Las Vegas, NV
                      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

There are a lot of great hot rod parts that have been brought out over the last 10 years or so. Most are of a generic nature to fit a variety of cars, including Studebakers. Clips and complete frames are available, and different types of suspension can be order with them. These are usually variations on the Mustang II IFS or C4/C5 Corvette suspension.

Gauges can be custom made to your order (for a price), interior kits, both completed and DIY, vintage speed parts (though very few for Studes), even new body shells for '32 Fords, '57 Chevys, '69 Camaros and '67 Mustangs. The Big 3 all sell crates engines including non-production stuff.

Wheels, either faithfully reproduced or good looking simulations, and made by various companies. Others can modify your original wheels to what you want. Overall, it's a good time to be a car guy.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

There are a lot of great hot rod parts that have been brought out over the last 10 years or so. Most are of a generic nature to fit a variety of cars, including Studebakers. Clips and complete frames are available, and different types of suspension can be order with them. These are usually variations on the Mustang II IFS or C4/C5 Corvette suspension.

Gauges can be custom made to your order (for a price), interior kits, both completed and DIY, vintage speed parts (though very few for Studes), even new body shells for '32 Fords, '57 Chevys, '69 Camaros and '67 Mustangs. The Big 3 all sell crates engines including non-production stuff.

Wheels, either faithfully reproduced or good looking simulations, and made by various companies. Others can modify your original wheels to what you want. Overall, it's a good time to be a car guy.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

The purists are welcome to their opinion, but the future is modifieds, even if only slightly (radials, A/C, modern motors, etc.).

The problem is when they run off potential and current members with nasty comments. We've endured 2 in our chapter, and of course - NO ONE would admit it but me.

My policy is to welcome ALL of them, as I like both.

Chris Pile
                            The Studebaker Special
                            Midway Chapter SDC
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The purists are welcome to their opinion, but the future is modifieds, even if only slightly (radials, A/C, modern motors, etc.).

The problem is when they run off potential and current members with nasty comments. We've endured 2 in our chapter, and of course - NO ONE would admit it but me.

My policy is to welcome ALL of them, as I like both.

Chris Pile
                              The Studebaker Special
                              Midway Chapter SDC
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X