Sprung for a sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Sprung for a sender

After running out of gas 100 yards after the finish of a Thursday morning parade with the Champ.... I raced down to C. Springs Friday AM to buy a new sender from SI... Just in time as I was their last customer before they locked the door!

Pulled the tank last night and discovered that the inlet tube had become unsoldered from the tank. Found an old time, one man radiator shop this AM who said he'll have it done Monday. New sender, sealed inlet tube and a new ignition switch from SI and the Champ will be just like a new truck by Tuesday !!

Tank back from the radiator shop, sender installed and back in truck. Two gallons of fuel in tank and a mile to the closest station and I couldn't believe the pressure in the tank when I took off the cap.... Duhhh ! No vent! No overflow! No vented gas cap! No wonder!

The old sender always showed between between 1/4 and 5/8 full .... even when I was standing beside the road putting my spare gallon in. The new sender with 10 gallons in the tank doesn't quite reach 1/4.

Has me scratching my head. Perhaps not a good ground so I patched a ground to the tank with no difference. If the new sender was a 6 volt rather than a 12 volt I would expect the gauge to be way over the top. I slapped the sender in and never examined the float position. I'm starting to think I need to pull the tank again and bend the sender float wire down. I'll sleep over that idea before I go to the work of doing that.

Comment

I know it may be difficult unless you knew there were no tablespoons of Gas at all in the Tank, BUT if you could somehow get exactly 9 Gallons in the Tank and play with the Float wire until you get exactly 1/2 a Tank on the Gage with the Engine on, you should be good to go.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can get to 9 gallons. There are 10 gallons in the tank right now and can drain 1 gallon with the electric fuel pump before I pull the tank. Then it only requires two patch wires to connect to the truck with the tank on the ground. I dropped the tank with straps on the frame before so even at 75 pounds of fuel + 25 pounds of tank it should be a safe drop. We'll try it in the AM.

Comment

Just be very careful playing around with an open tank of 9 Gal. of gas. This would be a really BAD time to light up a smoke!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Battery cable off is step one. And, we're outside. Yes, no smokey !

Comment

Tank out, sender adjusted, added ground wire from sender to frame avoiding only a chance of ground, tank in.... gauge reads right.

Comment

Working...
              X