need 1950 Commander Carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need 1950 Commander Carburetor

I need a carburetor for my 1950 Land Cruiser automatic. Can anyone direct me to someone who has one for sale?

Alan Hagan
    301 233 3445

4709 Queensbury Rd Riverdale MD 20737

alanahasan@gmail.com

Is yours totally not repairable or missing?
    The cores to rebuild of these old Carbs. are getting very hard to find, several places (Studebaker Vendors) can do a complete high quality rebuild if you have or can get one. New ones will probably not be available.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine is missing. I was getting ready to send the old one for a rebuild when I discovered it was wrong one - a Holley with a different bolt spread. Don't know what might have happened to the other - might have been discarded by my brother [I don't throw away anything].

May have to spend some money. I looked over a vendior's stock at York but didn't see it. Have to keep looking . . . or substitute.

Alan

Comment

The carb that came with my 53 champion is still on the engine. Which is a 170 flat head. I assume your car is a six? It would need rebuilt for sure but I would sell it really cheap. It hasn't pumped any fuel since the 60's and it's been outside for like a week but I think it could be rebuilt, if your actually at all interested I could take a look at it, and you could PM me back.
        Last edited by GThawkwind; 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
          The carb that came with my 53 champion is still on the engine. Which is a 170 flat head. I assume your car is a six? It would need rebuilt for sure but I would sell it really cheap. It hasn't pumped any fuel since the 60's and it's been outside for like a week but I think it could be rebuilt, if your actually at all interested I could take a look at it, and you could PM me back.
          A 1950 Commander would have a Commander 245 (Big) Six, using a totally different Carb. than a Champion.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In 1950 they used both Stromberg BXOV-26 and Carter WE 715 carbs on the Commander Big 6 engines. I have a WE on one of my 50 Commanders and the BXOV-26 on the other two. The WE carbs are easier to find it seems as they also used them on Champ engines. The linkage may be different for the champ engine, I never have compared them. The WE's with the style base you need were used on champs engines from something like 1947-52. They changed the base in 53 or 54 on the we carbs for champ engines.

I see them on EBAY from time to time
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
            X