Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Had a Weak Moment

But, it has passed.

I'm not sure why, but I actually called on this work in progress.

Well... actually, I do know why... it's close, and just looks like something that could be really fun for the money, and something I could finish to my pleasure, if I so desired.

But, I have decided to stick to my previous commitment, which is not to take on another major project at this point in my life.

Someone could buy this at a decent price (He's negotiable) and really have some fun with it.

The seller is a super nice fellow, and honest as the day is long.

Nit-wits... do not look! There is nothing you can do or say to cause this car to be returned to original, so save yourselves (and the rest of us) some agony!

(I would have to either remove that spoiler, or replace the deck lid with any available '53-'64 C or K unit.)

More info here:

http://lawton.craigslist.org/cto/3906281798.html

Last edited by Studedude; 07-05-2013, 06:39 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

looks like it would be a fun project for someone.

i'd paint her a shiny black, maybe some bright orange trim for a mini-batmobile look!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Huh I actually really like that for a wild custom. I would use a 53 trunk lid, I might also switch to a 53 front end but then again, I do like where he was going with it. I would swap that custom body onto a GT hawk frame and slam it to the ground, but that's just me. I think you should buy it Dave imagine flying around with the top...m um gone, the wind blowing in your hair. I'm sure sheba gets lonely with no other studes to talk to.

Comment

I've seen worse. The face and the rear ruin it. Of course, I'm sure the seller thinks it's gorgeous - and it's his perogative to think that.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You know Dave, it's to bad you don't want a project. A little!!! work to upgrade the cut off grill and redo the trunk to smooth out the area above the bumper would go a long way in making this a neat ride. Possibly build a "Carson" style top also. There's been a ton of work done and most of it looks quite good.

I think I see a little 54 Chebby in the grill. You know, If I wasn't up to my arse in the 74, I might just consider that little devil. That's how much I like the bones on this one.

Just reflect a moment on what it could look like with reasonable effort and possibly reconsider.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            I've seen worse. The face and the rear ruin it. Of course, I'm sure the seller thinks it's gorgeous - and it's his perogative to think that.
            Actually, he (the seller) would agree with you, as he and I agreed during our conversation about the car.

He did not design the project, but purchased it as-is, with thoughts and hopes of improving those very items. He's had it 3 years, and has come to realize that he will never get around to doing what he wanted to do with it... he has other projects in the wings, including a '56 T-Bird for his wife, which has fallen behind schedule.

During our visit, we debated what the front end treatment may have come from... part of the grille treatment (parking lights, at least) to me, appears to be '54 Ch**y, the rest, I'm not so sure about... maybe some Camero stuff?? (One of my most ever hated ownership experiences.)
            Last edited by Studedude; 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
              Huh I actually really like that for a wild custom. I would use a 53 trunk lid, I might also switch to a 53 front end but then again, I do like where he was going with it. I would swap that custom body onto a GT hawk frame and slam it to the ground, but that's just me. I think you should buy it Dave imagine flying around with the top...m um gone, the wind blowing in your hair. I'm sure sheba gets lonely with no other studes to talk to.
              Daniel, we must meet some time. Upon doing so, you will realize how long it has been since I have had the wind blow through my hair.

I agree, the front and rear ends both have room for improvement... something I could accomplish, but I just don't think I have another one left in me.

It would be quite a project to put this back on any Stude frame, 'cause the floor boards are from the '65 Pontiac donor car.

Bet it could still be slammed to the ground, though.

'Sheba is quite used to frequent visiting Studes. Most, she shuns, knowing they will move on in short order.

The only one she became attached to was Goliath, who she still misses.
              Last edited by Studedude; 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                i'd paint her a shiny black, maybe some bright orange trim for a mini-batmobile look!
                That would work!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

With a 53 front clip and a 53 trunk lid I could see this being a beautiful car. I know where you could get a 53 front clip, a rebuilt GT Hawk frame with everything, 53 trunk lid, a full red GT hawk interior including dash, and enough extra crap to make all your money back for 3500. Around 6K total to make a fantastic custom that will envied. If I had that kinda cash to just throw around, I'd be all over these two deals.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    I think I see a little 54 Chebby in the grill. You know, If I wasn't up to my arse in the 74, I might just consider that little devil. That's how much I like the bones on this one.

Just reflect a moment on what it could look like with reasonable effort and possibly reconsider.

Bob
                    I agree that's there is some '54 Chevy in the grill, or, at least, parking lights. This is not all bad to me, 'cause one of my favorite previously owned cars is a '54 Chevy I had while in high school.

I totally agree that this car has a lot of promise! I appreciate your confidence in my ability to see it to the next level... the whole point of this post is to share the potential with other folks, as I have already reflected upon the possibilities, and have decided to pass, because while I think I could do it justice, I just don't think I have another one left in me.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

I just love the seller's title description: "Rat Hawk." Love it!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Posted by studedude

I just don't think I have another one left in me.
                        Spent the day putting the brake/accelerator/clutch setups into the 74 and burned wire for a couple of hours. I'm going out with a MIG in my hand, or possibly a golf club.

The worst thing in life, To Me, is setting and waiting for the end. Pick up your tools and attitude and join me in that quest. Over 70 is merely a sign post on the road.

What's the worst that can happen if you buy it and can't quite finish, As my daughter says "Estate Sale, Dad, Estate Sale". So it's not my problem.

Avanti. you'all Bob

Comment

Avanti for sure, but probabaly not in this car. For some reason I can't explain, those hunks of exhaust pipe tacked onto the door tops, just don't end on a good note, and that turns the whole sucker into a bad tune for me. S---- Can those, and I can see "potential".

Back in the late '50s when I looked for my first '53 Studebaker, I ran accross one not unlike this one, but still on the Studie frame/drive, again, it never got finished until the fall rains, and the guy took it to the crusher. You have to plan a top of some sort into these things (I think), or you will be sadly dissapointed in foul weather. Maybe not though, it certainly would not be my primary ride today as it would have been back in those days...

That is something that has changed over the years, it used to be that you had one car, and you had to drive it to work the next day, limiting what you did the night before. Now days, they can sit unfinished for years and years. I still remember how much I hated riding the bus to school while swapping the jeep engine into my Hillman Minx! the bus was NOT COOL!
                          Corley

Comment

Nicer trunklid, it already have plastic seats & drill holes for water-exit in the floor & paint it bright turquoise, YEAH!

Comment

Pretty neat......Batman and Robin mobile

Comment

Working...
                              X