Indianapolis Miracle Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Miracle Mile

Today the South side of Indianapolis had a parade called the "Miracle Mile". Bob Palma myself and others from the area can remember the allure of the "miracle mile", it was an area for the best of the best street machines from the Indianapolis area. People from around central Indiana came to Indy's south side to show off their car or show its' performance. This was done on the street(US 31) or in parking lots of the local restaurant, the Tee PEE, Steak and Shake or White Castle.

This area of Indianapolis was "American Graffetti" before the movie was even thought of! Years ago "officials" of Indianapolis decided they neeeded to clean up "the strip". "The strip" as it was knownwas patroled and people were cited for loitering or any violation that could be used and the cars left the area.

Well this weekend and the parade was to "revitalize" the area, because when the "cruising" left so did the business! No cars, business's closed, the area became vacant buildings. Today a parade of all types of cars as well as city/county officials and business's from the area brought thousands of people to view the classic and Hot rod cars on the "strip/miracle mile".

Two Studebakers participated in the parade and open car show. A 1950 Studebaker powered by a Buick V6 and our 1956 Golden Hawk known as "Ellenore". As we passed the announcer and dignatary review stand I listened as Ellenore was explained..."many people would never have the opportunity to see a Studebaker, here is a fine example of Indiana's auto heritage". What a great honor to represent Indiana's auto heritage.

We left the parade and drove a short distance to an "open car show", over one hundred and fifty cars participated. Antique fire trucks, a 1926 Chevy, custom... modified, all years corvettes and camaro's as well as trucks. At the end of the day Studebaker reined, the 1950 was voted a top twenty car. Ellenore was judged as "Best of Show". My wife and I are truely honored to have a great car to represent Studebaker and Indiana auto makers. Today we competed against the best cars Indianapolis had to offer, we are very proud of our car.

Bob, any memories of the Tee Pee???

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
    It is an addiction!

Congratulations Ellenore is such a Beauty. You should be very proud.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Congratulations Ellenore is such a Beauty. You should be very proud.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Go for it JOE!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Go for it JOE!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbwhttail

Today the South side of Indianapolis had a parade called the "Miracle Mile". Bob Palma myself and others from the area can remember the allure of the "miracle mile", it was an area for the best of the best street machines from the Indianapolis area. People from around central Indiana came to Indy's south side to show off their car or show its' performance. This was done on the street(US 31) or in parking lots of the local restaurant, the Tee PEE, Steak and Shake or White Castle.

Cool beans! [8D] Congrats on yet another shiny piece, Joe! [:I][]

Yep; each side of Indianapolis had its own center of attraction in the 50s and 60s. Was there a Tee Pee on the south side, Joe? I didn't get down there much and do not remember one there, but do remember your miracle-mile "strip."

The north side (where I was) had the northside Tee Pee, whereas out west had "The Pole" at 16th and Lafayette Road, while the east-siders centered their cruising around Al Green's at Shadeland and U.S.40. Good times...and my beige '60 Lark Regal 4-door with blackwalls and requisite, tell-tale front fender rust was the perfect camouflage for the R2-ized 259/Overdrive lurking within...as a few who followed us out of the Tee Pee in their 289 Mustangs, etc, would find out. (Damn! How did that old Lark withstand all that abuse...and against those 100,000-mile tapered axles!? Ouch!)

Good times indeed, Joe: 'good to see The Miracle Mile coming back...and you, Nancy, and The '56 GH a part of it. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbwhttail

Cool beans! [8D] Congrats on yet another shiny piece, Joe! [:I][]

Yep; each side of Indianapolis had its own center of attraction in the 50s and 60s. Was there a Tee Pee on the south side, Joe? I didn't get down there much and do not remember one there, but do remember your miracle-mile "strip."

The north side (where I was) had the northside Tee Pee, whereas out west had "The Pole" at 16th and Lafayette Road, while the east-siders centered their cruising around Al Green's at Shadeland and U.S.40. Good times...and my beige '60 Lark Regal 4-door with blackwalls and requisite, tell-tale front fender rust was the perfect camouflage for the R2-ized 259/Overdrive lurking within...as a few who followed us out of the Tee Pee in their 289 Mustangs, etc, would find out. (Damn! How did that old Lark withstand all that abuse...and against those 100,000-mile tapered axles!? Ouch!)

Good times indeed, Joe: 'good to see The Miracle Mile coming back...and you, Nancy, and The '56 GH a part of it. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's a link to the local news article on The Miracle Mile parade in which Joe & Nancy's Golden Hawk won the award. Too bad they aren't mentioned, but a nice article nonetheless. (OK, Joe, there was a south-side Tee-Pee!):

Comment

Here's a link to the local news article on The Miracle Mile parade in which Joe & Nancy's Golden Hawk won the award. Too bad they aren't mentioned, but a nice article nonetheless. (OK, Joe, there was a south-side Tee-Pee!):

Comment

Makes you wonder about schill bidders, and even phantom bidders at an auction...
                    Here's an item right out of Kruse's info sheet..
                    (quote)
                    3. Unless the sale of an article is advertised or announced to be otherwise, each lot is offered subject to the reserve price of the Seller. When an article is sold with reserve, the auctioneer may bid on the Seller's behalf in an amount not to exceed the reserve price.

The auctioneer may bid?
                    If I was a bidder, I'd sure want to be watching close who actually was bidding against me.
                    He/she might just be 'air'..
                    Just an observation...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Makes you wonder about schill bidders, and even phantom bidders at an auction...
                      Here's an item right out of Kruse's info sheet..
                      (quote)
                      3. Unless the sale of an article is advertised or announced to be otherwise, each lot is offered subject to the reserve price of the Seller. When an article is sold with reserve, the auctioneer may bid on the Seller's behalf in an amount not to exceed the reserve price.

The auctioneer may bid?
                      If I was a bidder, I'd sure want to be watching close who actually was bidding against me.
                      He/she might just be 'air'..
                      Just an observation...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Way to go, Joe. Congrats, AGAIN, on outdoing all those brand X's. [^][8D]
                        After you see "Ellenore", you never forget just how nice she really is! It's got to be the prettiest '56J I've ever seen. I just happen to have her paint codes, and my grandad has that Sky Hawk out back...

Has your Vette sold yet?

And I don't think I could see Joe selling his '56J. Besides, I'm supposed to inherit it. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                        '59 Scotsman
                        '63 Daytona
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Way to go, Joe. Congrats, AGAIN, on outdoing all those brand X's. [^][8D]
                          After you see "Ellenore", you never forget just how nice she really is! It's got to be the prettiest '56J I've ever seen. I just happen to have her paint codes, and my grandad has that Sky Hawk out back...

Has your Vette sold yet?

And I don't think I could see Joe selling his '56J. Besides, I'm supposed to inherit it. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                          '59 Scotsman
                          '63 Daytona
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                            The auctioneer may bid? If I was a bidder, I'd sure want to be watching close who actually was bidding against me.
                            I caught a local auctioneer doing just that and reported him to the board. He ended up losing his license and closing up shop. I began to get wise when I didn't see others bidding in the direction the auctioneer was looking and the items were all being charged to 3-4 bidders. What clinched it is when at another auction the owner told one of his helpers that an open hand meant no bidder and a closed hand meant someone had bid.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                              The auctioneer may bid? If I was a bidder, I'd sure want to be watching close who actually was bidding against me.
                              I caught a local auctioneer doing just that and reported him to the board. He ended up losing his license and closing up shop. I began to get wise when I didn't see others bidding in the direction the auctioneer was looking and the items were all being charged to 3-4 bidders. What clinched it is when at another auction the owner told one of his helpers that an open hand meant no bidder and a closed hand meant someone had bid.

Comment

Working...
                              X