51 Land Cruiser - SS window channel at driver's door glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Land Cruiser - SS window channel at driver's door glass

Does anybody in the Pacific Northwest (or further afield) have a good condition SS window channel for the front edge of the driver's side front door glass of a 51? I believe this part is the same for all models and might even be the same from 47 to 52 but I can't verify that.

It's part number 292095 for the left side of the car - viewed from the driver's seat. The wide leg that the vent wing closes against should be on the inside.

This, and the SS clip (part number 294049) for the windshield SS trim are the only pieces I need to replace.

Thanks.

Jim
    Last edited by StudeMann; 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

You always determine the L/R sides of a Car by sitting in the seat. Also usually Studebaker Part Numbers on mirror image parts are Right =EVEN, Left =ODD number.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If this is the part with the fuzzy "L" seal, why not just replace the seal? It's available.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think I might have one. I'll have to check. I know I had one in my hand just two weeks ago - I just can't recall which side it was for.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          If this is the part with the fuzzy "L" seal, why not just replace the seal? It's available.
          Yes, that's the part. A previous owner somehow broke off the leg that the fuzzy"L" seal fits against so there is no longer any overlap between the vent wing and the SS channel on the front edge of the window.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            The longer leg that the "L" fits against is broken off. I have no idea how that might have happened but nevertheless that what I have.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              I think I might have one. I'll have to check. I know I had one in my hand just two weeks ago - I just can't recall which side it was for.
              Thanks, I hope you have the side I need. Mine has the leg broken off that the fuzzy "L" fits against.

Cheers,

Jim
              Last edited by StudeMann; 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
              Jim Mann
              Victoria, B.C.
              Canada

Comment

I just re-remembered that I need to look for this thing. Right now
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I get a lot of requests for these parts.
                  If it is missing , I ask people to look in the bottom of the door on the inside.
                  Many of these drop down.
                  Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    I get a lot of requests for these parts.
                    If it is missing , I ask people to look in the bottom of the door on the inside.
                    Many of these drop down.
                    Robert Kapteyn
                    Robert, it's definitely not in the door. I have the doors off and the glass out for replacement. I actually have the SS channel for the front edge of the window but the original leg of SS that was folded back to form a stop for the wing vent broke off sometime in the past and is gone. There is evidence of welding and brazing on the remaining SS channel so there was at least some attempt to re-attach it sometime in the past. I can't imagine how it would have broken off.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

Jim, the part number you gave does not match the part description you've asked for. The number you gave is for the channel/lift that the bottom edge of the glass sits in. It's also the channel that the window regulator lifts. I don't get that that's the part you're seeking. IF you want the formed stainless edge that runs up the front edge of the glass - the piece that also carries the fuzzy L-shaped piece that seals against the rear edge of the vent window - that's part number 284583. It fits ALL four-door AND two-door cars except convertibles and the '52 hardtop.
                      I've found a good one here - with it's little cap piece. The fuzzy piece is just bare steel, but replacement ones are available. OR you might be able to recover this one if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Jim, the part number you gave does not match the part description you've asked for. The number you gave is for the channel/lift that the bottom edge of the glass sits in. It's also the channel that the window regulator lifts. I don't get that that's the part you're seeking. IF you want the formed stainless edge that runs up the front edge of the glass - the piece that also carries the fuzzy L-shaped piece that seals against the rear edge of the vent window - that's part number 284583. It fits ALL four-door AND two-door cars except convertibles and the '52 hardtop.
                        I've found a good one here - with it's little cap piece. The fuzzy piece is just bare steel, but replacement ones are available. OR you might be able to recover this one if you want.
                        I looked it up in the Body catalog but I see that I made a mistake when I went from the diagram to the parts list. The piece you describe IS the one I need. I have all new rubber and fuzzy pieces already, along with all new flat glass. The last piece of exterior chrome should be ready any day now and I and doing the final prep for paint. She should be back together and on the road in about a month. I am looking forward to IDYSD! I have not been able to drive my Stude for about 3 years.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                        Jim Mann
                        Victoria, B.C.
                        Canada

Comment

I got your PM, Jim. I'm gonna get this thing boxed up and on it's way.

Comment

Working...
                          X