Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Lark v8 - How to Install Inner Seals??? Please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1963 Lark v8 - How to Install Inner Seals??? Please help!!!

Hello. REALLY need some advise. Am replacing the inner seals (or TRYING to) on the rear axle. What is the breakdown of the differential in relation to the R&R axle for access to the inner seals? How does one get to these / get them out? Thanks to whomever can give me some easy-to-understand instructions (I am not a highly skilled mechanic!!!) Thanks so much! - Chris

You have to remove the rear Hub/Drum assembly with a HUB PULLER. then you unbolt the brake backing plate. This will allow you to remove the axle and it's pressed on bearing. The seal is behind the bearing. This would be a good time to repack the rear axle bearings too. Keep all shims in their respective place.
    You really need a Studebaker shop manual. It is explained far better than a few sentences.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Wow - I can't thank you enough. You're absolutely right... I need a shop manual. Will have to look for one.
      Again - THANK YOU!!!
      Chris

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      You have to remove the rear Hub/Drum assembly with a HUB PULLER. then you unbolt the brake backing plate. This will allow you to remove the axle and it's pressed on bearing. The seal is behind the bearing. This would be a good time to repack the rear axle bearings too. Keep all shims in their respective place.
      You really need a Studebaker shop manual. It is explained far better than a few sentences.

Comment

After the above, to remove the AXLES you install the Drum and Hub assembly on the axle, install the washer and Nut by hand, then slide the drum away from you and "bump" it outward to remove the Bearing Cup (Race) from the housing that is holding the Bearing and axle in.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many many thanks, StudeRich. I really appreciate the response. I am going to go at this tomorrow!!!
          Great name, by the way!
          Chris

After the above, to remove the AXLES you install the Drum and Hub assembly on the axle, install the washer and Nut by hand, then slide the drum away from you and "bump" it outward to remove the Bearing Cup (Race) from the housing that is holding the Bearing and axle in.[/QUOTE]

Comment

axle seals

Originally posted by HissingElf View Post
            Hello. REALLY need some advise. Am replacing the inner seals (or TRYING to) on the rear axle. What is the breakdown of the differential in relation to the R&R axle for access to the inner seals? How does one get to these / get them out? Thanks to whomever can give me some easy-to-understand instructions (I am not a highly skilled mechanic!!!) Thanks so much! - Chris
            When you get to the point where the seals are exposed most NAPA stores have a very inexpensive seal puller. it is just a metal bar with a hook on one end with a provision for tapping with a hammer to remove the seal. To reinstall there are seal insert tools but I turned a piece of wood on my lathe just a little bit smaller than the inner shaft housing and tapped the seal in with the wood dowel. About 2 or 3 moderate taps and the seal should be seated don't over tap on the seal or you will damage it - voice of experience. Dave

Comment

you can use almost anything to drive and set the inner bearing...how about a wooden baseball bat (if there are any out there), or a cut branch from a tree....rubber mallet and away you go..

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I was scratching my head on how to get the axels out of our 64 commander.

Comment

wow......5 years !

Comment

Originally posted by John L View Post
                    Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I was scratching my head on how to get the axels out of our 64 commander.
                    The Search button is my friend too.
                    Cheers,
                    JOE

--------------------------------------------------

"After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done"
                    Clark Olmstead

Comment

and if you have twin-traction.....

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                      X