Build Sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Sheet

I received my build sheet for the 57 Silver Hawk. There are a couple things I have questions about that the accompanying information letter doesn't explain. For the interior trim the code says "T 5754B RDV 24". My assumption is that the T is for trim, RDV is red vinyl, but what does 5754B and 24 stand for?

One of the options shows "XAC 838". This code is not on the info sheet; anyone know what that would be?

And just out of curiosity, the info sheet lists 4 different climatizer numbers; what would be the difference?

I was happy to see that the paint, interior and engine were correct.

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
    I received my build sheet for the 57 Silver Hawk. There are a couple things I have questions about that the accompanying information letter doesn't explain. For the interior trim the code says "T 5754B RDV 24". My assumption is that the T is for trim, RDV is red vinyl, but what does 5754B and 24 stand for?

One of the options shows "XAC 838". This code is not on the info sheet; anyone know what that would be?

And just out of curiosity, the info sheet lists 4 different climatizer numbers; what would be the difference?

I was happy to see that the paint, interior and engine were correct.
    I recently got my build sheet too and was disappointed by the scarcity of information on it. What information there was was very hard to decipher (the crib sheet was little help) and there was one piece of information that had been typed incorrectly and had to be corrected. I did get some good feedback by doing what you are doing, throwing it out to the gang here. Since your car is a '57 you at least got a copy of the actual sheet. Mine is a '50 so I got a typed in form. I wish I could answer your questions but know they will indeed get answered by this knowledgeable group. I just wanted to let you know you were not alone in being unable to decipher everything on your build sheet. Good luck.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I found it interesting that "back up lights" were listed as an option on my car. I thought by 57, that would have been standard equipment. Also, twin traction rear end; would most cars have that option?

Comment

Those numbers associated with the trim/upholstery are sales codes. You need a dealers guide book to read them.
        The 'X' denotes an item that is in the car but not installed. Things easily damaged or stolen were locked in the truck for the dealer to install, like wheel covers, radio antennas, etc.
        Looks like another typo on AC838. There should be 4 numbers with the first probably a 2.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          Those numbers associated with the trim/upholstery are sales codes. You need a dealers guide book to read them.
          The 'X' denotes an item that is in the car but not installed. Things easily damaged or stolen were locked in the truck for the dealer to install, like wheel covers, radio antennas, etc.
          Looks like another typo on AC838. There should be 4 numbers with the first probably a 2.
          The AC"2"838 would make sense because it does have dual antennas. Thanks.

Comment

I found it interesting that "back up lights" were listed as an option on my car. I thought by 57, that would have been standard equipment. Also, twin traction rear end; would most cars have that option?
            Back up lights did not become standard until the late 1960s.

Twin traction rear sent power to both rear wheels - I think Studebaker literature of the time showed a car half on the road and half in the grass. With twin traction the car would move because it would send power to both wheels instead of spinning the loose traction wheel.

Comment

Back up lamps were not yet standard equipment.
              The prevalance of ordering of Twin Traction varied a lot depending on area, dealer, other equipment (engine) and expected application/use of the vehicle. I would guess that less than half of 1957 models would have TT. The 1957 model was the first that TT was available in Studebaker CARS.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Back up lamps were not yet standard equipment.
                The prevalance of ordering of Twin Traction varied a lot depending on area, dealer, other equipment (engine) and expected application/use of the vehicle. I would guess that less than half of 1957 models would have TT. The 1957 model was the first that TT was available in Studebaker CARS.
                Great info. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X