Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current part # for standard V8 rear drums??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current part # for standard V8 rear drums??

I was inspecting my rear brakes and found a drum delaminating. Anyone have a current FLAPS type number for a new V8 rear drum? Where do you get yours?? Thanks!

SI if you want new. Rear V8 shoes you can find - wheel cylinders too. But not drums. I probably have a good used one or two.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You are in SB. Just go over to the SI store. You won't even have to pay shipping on that heavy item like the rest of us would.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Standard smooth type 10 inch rear Hub & Drums for full drum brake V8 (259) engined Cars are no longer available New.
        There are some Finned, Drum only units requiring swagging available at Studebaker Vendors at: studebakervendors.com without Hubs, those are what the Dealers most always used. They are 1558905 for $160.00
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich and others. I should have mentioned my rear is out of a 66 Cruiser. Is that going to make a difference?

Comment

It's going to make a difference in that you won't have to pay to have them swaged!
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And I beleive "if memory serves" flanged axle drums are not the same as a "drum only" from a tapered axle car.
              Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
              Thanks Rich and others. I should have mentioned my rear is out of a 66 Cruiser. Is that going to make a difference?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There IS a difference of rear drums if your 66 sports a flanged axle. I can't recall what the difference is, but I'd bet it's in the center hole size. The part# for smooth V8 flanged axle drums is 1561790 - for finned it's 1561791 Newman & Altman lists them in their catalog................... from 1979

Comment

With more thought on it,I think the center hole is smaller on the flanged axle drum and it has a beveled edge.were'nt all 66s flanged?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                    With more thought on it,I think the center hole is smaller on the flanged axle drum and it has a beveled edge.were'nt all 66s flanged?
                    Yes, Mid year 1965 and on to all '66's had the flanged Axles, both on 44 and 27 axles, 6's, 8's, twin Traction and not.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well I found in my garage a pair of non finned drums and a pair of finned drums. The 63 Wagonaire needs a set for its flanged axle,and my 61 needs a set for its flanged axle. Going to have them all turned to clean them up,along with the 1 good one that was on the 61 and hopefully I will have decent drums for both without having to spend some money on new. Things are just too tight lately!

Comment

Working...
                      X