PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing parts give aways and such

06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Wife and I just getting too old to take care of our place (1830 farmhouse, 1870 40' x 70' bank barn, acreage, gardens, and more). So, we have placed the property on the market. We have lived here 32 years and have accumulated a LOT of stuff. My carefully managed Studebaker parts have become a jumble of this, that, and the other (see disarray below). When or if we sell I'm going to have a major task emptying the barn. I gave away most of my used sheet metal and a couple engines a few years ago, but I kept a very nice '47-'49 Commander hood (had a '47 myself then). Anyone wants it, all they have to do is come pick it up. I also have 80 or so NOS Studebaker exhaust pipes of all sorts, all surface rusted, most missing part number tags. Some are truck and some are early Champion. These are also free for pick up (but have to take them all- no picking). The pipes will have to be scrapped if no one wants them. I also have a whole bunch of old stock tires from the '50s and '60s, all dirty, very few whitewalls and probably no matched sets (mostly 15-inch and some 16s, some truck tires). These would be OK for authentic spares (Firestone, Goodrich, US Royal, etc), but I sure wouldn't drive on them. I sold some years ago to Freddy Badgett who wanted them for a vintage filling station display. When he picked them up I gave him a several others too. I also sold some to Ann's son for use on a vintage garden tractor so there are possible uses beside automotive. These are freebees too and, while I'd like to move them all, picking would be OK. If they don't go I have to pay a disposal fee per tire and the fewer I have, the better. They came out of the basement of the Studebaker dealer in Emmaus, PA (not one of my better investments).
I used to carry stuff back and forth to swap meets, but I just don't want to mess with meets or shipping. As I get more motivated I'll be putting together other heavy NOS stuff for lot sales at bargain prices (like a bunch of hubs and drums, front end parts, etc.) all for pickup.
I am located about 70 miles from either Baltimore or Washington, DC, 12 miles east of I-81 and 20 miles south of I-70. I will answer Private Mails as promptly as I can.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Parts%20Depot/Parts%20Depot%20Disarray%20002%20(640x480).jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Parts%20Depot/Parts%20Depot%20Disarray%20007%20(480x640).jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Parts%20Depot/Parts%20Depot%20Disarray%20015%20(640x480).jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Parts%20Depot/Parts%20Depot%20Disarray%20017%20(640x480).jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Parts%20Depot/Parts%20Depot%20Disarray%20022%20(640x480).jpg

LarkTruck
06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Wow Paul, I feel your pain. I remember seeing all that stuff years ago when Tom Pfahler and I paid you a visit. I am currently moving out of a 40X50 storage building that I stuffed full of cars and parts when I closed shop 19 years ago this week. I now need to put everything in a building half the size, so a lot of stuff is heading to China.
Best of luck with the sale of your property.
Jim

63t-cab
06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Boy if I were just down the road I'd be happy to releive you of those pipes.

hawk58man
06-24-2013, 05:11 PM
53K Good Luck with your downsizing,thanks for sharing..

ST2DE5
06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I want to know what age is "Up in years". So I will know when I get there. am 72 right now.

Bob Andrews
06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I hear you loud and clear, Paul. We too are downsizing, selling our big property where I had plenty of room for everything, to new and better, but smaller. I started last year, and it has been tough on my soul to dump so much of my accumulated treasure, including 30+ cars to the crusher. But better I do it than possibly leave Linda to figure it all out if I croak.

Still, my inner "collector"s first impulse was to jump in the big truck and make a speed run to Harper's Ferry and gather up (rescue) some goodies :)

Are all those ammo boxes on the left in the first photo full of parts?

Flashback
06-24-2013, 05:31 PM
I want to know what age is "Up in years". So I will know when I get there. am 72 right now.

Yep, I'd kinda like to know what the age limit is too.

06-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I turned 75 last month. Been in good health, but blew out my left knee a couple months ago and can't be carrying heavy stuff. I'm not needing a knee replacement, but have to wear knee brace. Doc said my knee was like an old, high miles car- things wear out. I also have enough arthritis in my hands that I have trouble turning wrenches (or even hanging on to them) any more- not as much fun working on the cars. Torque that bolt to 90 pounds? I don't think so.
I could hang on here a little longer, but my wife has a bad back and a torn rotator cuff which won't heal as long as she persists in pulling weeds and more. She wants out real bad.

06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
I hear you loud and clear, Paul. We too are downsizing, selling our big property where I had plenty of room for everything, to new and better, but smaller. I started last year, and it has been tough on my soul to dump so much of my accumulated treasure, including 30+ cars to the crusher. But better I do it than possibly leave Linda to figure it all out if I croak.

Still, my inner "collector"s first impulse was to jump in the big truck and make a speed run to Harper's Ferry and gather up (rescue) some goodies :)

Are all those ammo boxes on the left in the first photo full of parts?

Hi Bob,
I had never thought of those as looking like ammo boxes, but they do. They are actually parts drawers. I bought them with contents (Studebaker parts) from JDP probably almost 40 years ago when he was moving to where he is now. I knew he had picked the good stuff so I have hardly ever looked at the contents and never inventoried them- lots of little parts.

Sam Ensley
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
If you. Would consider moving to North Georgia, I will be your buyer's agent and not charge you a commission. You would like it down here.

wittsend
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
In 2063 someone will be saying, "Fifty years ago..., there was a guy just giving this stuff away." Sad that it seems everyone is too far, or too old to maximize this generous offer.
Tom

06-24-2013, 07:56 PM
If you. Would consider moving to North Georgia, I will be your buyer's agent and not charge you a commission. You would like it down here.
Hi Sam,
I have admired your town and your life there and I even enjoyed Georgia (Athens) when I lived there. And your offer is gracious. However, like you and your family in Georgia, my family (two sons, four grandchildren) is here and we are kind of locked in to the area. Besides, I'd have to change my email address that I've had forever.

JimC
06-24-2013, 09:11 PM
In 2063 someone will be saying, "Fifty years ago..., there was a guy just giving this stuff away." Sad that it seems everyone is too far, or too old to maximize this generous offer.
Tom
It IS tragic. When these parts die, the number of years these cars can stay on the road is drastically shortened. I truly wish I had the storage, time, and money involved to stockpile all the parts that are still of use, if only for helping preserve these cars. Sadly, the problem is that the younger people haven't yet amassed the space to keep all the stuff belonging to the older people.

I hope somebody helps clear out all of the stockpiles listed here. Like wittsend said, someday people will marvel that these couldn't be given away.

I feel for you 53k. I wish I could help. Hopefully you'll at least be able to get the scarce stuff to good homes. :)

JDP
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
It IS tragic. When these parts die, the number of years these cars can stay on the road is drastically shortened. I truly wish I had the storage, time, and money involved to stockpile all the parts that are still of use, if only for helping preserve these cars. Sadly, the problem is that the younger people haven't yet amassed the space to keep all the stuff belonging to the older people.

I hope somebody helps clear out all of the stockpiles listed here. Like wittsend said, someday people will marvel that these couldn't be given away.

I feel for you 53k. I wish I could help. Hopefully you'll at least be able to get the scarce stuff to good homes. :)

I was getting ready to make a very similar post with lots of free parts, some NOS and others for sale, and tools too. All in Arnold Md, near Annapolis. My bet is we'll both have to scrap a lot of iron.

58PackardWagon
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Are there any free nos 63 Lark R2 speedometers out there? This is the last part i have to source for our ground up restoration. Thanks