Who is Driving A Studebaker to Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Driving A Studebaker to Colorado Springs

We are driving the 48 Business Coupe. 670 miles. We started our married life there 53 years ago. We lived at 16th and Colorado Ave. Which is now a Liquor Store.
    Last edited by Carl Purdy; 06-23-2013, 08:46 AM.

I would certainly drive my Commander there if 1. I actually had physical possession of it. 2. If I knew it ran well enough to drive down there (physical possession required). So I'll most likely be driving my yellow Subie.
    www.spannerbird.com
    Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

I lived there in 70/71 on the 5th floor of an apartment bldg on Colorado Blvd. I believe it was in the 1600 block. We went back to Denver 2 years ago and I could not find it. Could it have been the same bldg? I remember looking out my window at a bank that was across the street with a big thermometer on the building. I saw my first negative temperature on that sign. Being a California boy I was hoping to see my first white Christmas there. I missed it by a week. I have yet to see one.
      Last edited by Sdude; 06-23-2013, 04:59 AM.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I will be driving our 53 about 1200 miles to get there, unless the smoke continues. If it appears the air will be full of smoke I will cancel. I plan to make my decision on Thursday.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I'm going...In rather different fashion. I wanted so bad to drive the 50 Champion, but I don't think I can have it done by then. Rather I'll be in my 04 Ford PU with a topper and a small bass boat trailing with a truck bed full of 62S-F4 parts -----2 door/with a 6 in it/clutch/ good windows/trim/wheels/motor parts/etc/etc.....Studebaker parts to drop off along the way Out Interstate 80 to different people..... My trip is from Des Moines to Denver to pick up my son/then on to Colorado Springs.

Comment

How smoky does the air have to be? Are you talking about smoke so thick you can't see through it? Or slight haze with a heavy smoke smell in the air?
            www.spannerbird.com

Comment

How far is Parker from Colorado Springs? Spannerbird--is it bad out there? I thought the fire was about 75% contained.

Comment

I don't remember any building across the street. We were up there last year. We lived in a 2 story house. We rented the top floor. My wife worked at the Public Utility Bldg. And it is still there stuck between 2 tall buildings.

QUOTE=Sdude;753818]I lived there in 70/71 on the 5th floor of an apartment bldg on Colorado Blvd. I believe it was in the 1600 block. We went back to Denver 2 years ago and I could not find it. Could it have been the same bldg? I remember looking out my window at a bank that was across the street with a big thermometer on the building. I saw my first negative temperature on that sign. Being a California boy I was hoping to see my first white Christmas there. I missed it by a week. I have yet to see one.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Jan and I will be driving the 62 Hawk as usual. 1100 miles. See you there!
                  1936 Dictator
                  1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                  1953 Commander Regal HT
                  1953 2R5 Pickup
                  1947 M16 Truck
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                  1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                  1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                  1963 GT Hawk R2
                  1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

I can't see, nor smell any smoke outside. Birds are singing, and I doubt if I were to go to the Springs right now that I would probably encountre any problems.

Ok, so the pic is really small, but it's a screenshot I took at 8.44a from 9news.com (which I assume all of you can visit). So you can probably run around in hysteria screaming that the world is coming to and end or that you'll get killed by fire, but you'll probably 1. be the only one doing it, and 2. Be admitted to the local physch hospital for being completely 5150.

Of course there are bans in effect for fireworks.

The worst thing is probably if you take a ride outside the springs, say into Black Forest, you might encountre a roadblock, in which you'll be required to turn around.

The info says as of the 20th, the fire is 95% contained, 509 homes lost, and most evacuations have been lifted. I would imagine businesses will be very happy to have business return to normal, and tourism increase by whatever means necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-23 at 08.44.45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1680446
                    Last edited by Spannerbird; 06-23-2013, 06:54 AM.
                    www.spannerbird.com

Comment

Quit looking for excuses ! Not a cloud in the sky... Dang birds woke me up at 5:00 this AM... This is Colorful Colorado! There is a fire in beetle kill trees in the SW corner of the state and the national press would have you believe the entire state is on fire. The tree huggers got their due on recent fires in such forests as they fought to close access roads, clear strips for fire block or allow logging that would have minimized the risk. Now a cig or a lightning strike is free to burn areas that would be considered large in other states. Most of the burn is in beetle kill that has to burn to facilitate nature's regrowth cycle.

Yes, it is dry and you'll be shot without trial if you are caught throwing a cig out the window. Colorado is always dry with humidity seldom above the teens. If you like to swim in low lander sweat stay home. If you want a trip to remember see you next week.

My report is from Parker 52 miles North on I-25 from the big event. Picture below taken 9:30 MST this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1680447

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                        We are taking the 48 Business Coupe. 670 miles. We started our married life there 53 years ago. We lived at 16th and Colorado Ave. Which is now a Liquor Store.
                        When you say that you are "taking" the three passenger coupe, I don't know if that means that you will be driving it or hauling it. It sounds more like you will be bringing it along, rather than driving it.

Out of 11 responses to the posted question, I see one response with someone driving their Studebaker powered Studebaker to the Convention.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am driving it. Not Stude powered but it has air conditioning. When going down the road who knows whats under the hood.

Comment

I am monitoring the conditions via this CO Springs TV station web page. http://www.kktv.com/ I also have a good friend who lives in Colorado Springs that I will confer with. When I talked to him on Thursday he said the sky was full of smoke, but he did not know from what fire. The Black Forest Fire is contained, but not out. Several new fires have started within the last few days. I am not concerned so much with burning up, but with the impact to my respiratory system. I have suffered from allergies and occasional asthma all of my life and have learned not to aggravate it unnecessarily.

I believe the question was who is driving their Studebaker, no mention made of Studebaker powered. I am currently planning to drive mine as stated.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hope to see you Pat.. Warning to all... a can at altitude is as potent as a six pack at sea level. Fail to heed this advice and you'll crawl to your room.

Comment

Working...
                              X