rolling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rolling problem

I'm not sure what is happening. All I wanted to do was to roll the 62 Studebaker 5 feet backward to allow a little more driveway space. Yesterday I took all four rims and drums off the car. Also removed all brake pads, springs, clips and everything I thought kept the tires from rolling free. The tires on back are easy rollers--, they rolled just fine. Both front tires skid on the concrete. Three speed tranny in neutral. Am I missing something? Thanks

Possible the wheels are hitting the spindles?
    Do the front hubs spin when the wheels are off the hubs?
    It's possible the hubs are frozen on the spindles...but the odds that 'both' are frozen is quite low.

I stuffed roller wheels on my Hawk one time...... The wheels hung up on the ID of the rim on the front.

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
    I'm not sure what is happening. All I wanted to do was to roll the 62 Studebaker 5 feet backward to allow a little more driveway space. Yesterday I took all four rims and drums off the car. Also removed all brake pads, springs, clips and everything I thought kept the tires from rolling free. The tires on back are easy rollers--, they rolled just fine. Both front tires skid on the concrete. Three speed tranny in neutral. Am I missing something? Thanks
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Have you seen the movie "Christine"? My '53 Commander is possessed. When ever I want to take her somewhere she doesn't want to go... SHE WON'T. I first had locked up brakes when wanting to move her out of the garage to begin restoration on a Model A. There was absolutely no brake fluid in the lines, but the brakes were locked. After fighting to get the drums off, and manually compressing the shoes; she rolled fine. When I was ready to move her back into the shop a year later, she moved fine. A couple years later when we were moving, she would not move. Same issue and solution. Now that she is restored, she dies when I get her out on the road... when I get her towed back home, she starts and runs fine... into the garage. She will seemingly run all over the yard & up and down the lane.. but get her out on the street & she dies. Good luck on your brakes, it sounds as if all is OK, the car just doesn't want to move!

Comment

Everything is good around here. Just really confused why it won't roll...........The car has no brakes on the front. But, there is also no engine oil and probably no brake fluid. It's been sitting for 13 years that I know of. And probably longer.....thanks

Comment

Really have me puzzled here. How hard did you crank down the front spindle nut when you put the front drums back on? It is possible to over-tighten against the bearings and lock them down. Like Jeff said, the wrong size tire or wheel off-set will rub and make contact resulting in locking the wheel. Since you have removed the brakes...I don't understand any other reasons why the front wheels wouldn't turn.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Overtightening the spindle nut is possible, but trying to loosen up things, he'd have thought of that.

Most likely problem has already been mentioned - wrong wheels. They're probably hitting the grease zerk or the tie rod end or some suspension piece.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

If the car is a '62, neither the front or rear drums are supposed to be removed from the hubs. Maybe the front wheels are binding on the king pin because they lack the clearance provided by the front drums. Hope you didn't warp the faces of the brake drums by pulling them off that way. (I know, somebody, at some time, may have replaced drums, and left them free on the studs, but that's not the way they were built.)
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
              X