Remembering a near miss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering a near miss.

We've all had near misses wuth a neat car we couldn't have for one reason or another. Here's one. My Dad was a CPA and dud tax work for a number of people that dud not come to see him, rather, he went to them. In the summer, I eould somtimes go with him if the business was car related. One Saturday morning ge had to pick up some stuff from a client who had a transmission shop. He told me there was something I might want to see there, so I went. It was a find all right, a black snd white '55 President Speedster. I was drooling. I spent the whole time there in, around, and on that car. Ehen I asked the guy about it hae said something like, "that's a rare one, couldn't let it go, gonna fix it up one of these days" . I left crestfallen. Any bets in whether he ever did anything with it or did it sink into the ground?

Mine probably comes under the heading. . . "Let it get away".
    My first car, a 1955 Commander Coupe that was stunning and went like a runner with his pants on fire, disappeared after high school and all the turmoil of life changes. I wish I had it back now. Every once in a while I will see a really nice '55 and I get a lump in my throat. I'm very happy with the '50 Commander and the '61 Champ truck I have now, but, I can't get the '55 out of my head at times.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Lark1959 View Post
      We've all had near misses wuth a neat car we couldn't have for one reason or another. Here's one. My Dad was a CPA and dud tax work for a number of people that dud not come to see him, rather, he went to them. In the summer, I eould somtimes go with him if the business was car related. One Saturday morning ge had to pick up some stuff from a client who had a transmission shop. He told me there was something I might want to see there, so I went. It was a find all right, a black snd white '55 President Speedster. I was drooling. I spent the whole time there in, around, and on that car. Ehen I asked the guy about it hae said something like, "that's a rare one, couldn't let it go, gonna fix it up one of these days" . I left crestfallen. Any bets in whether he ever did anything with it or did it sink into the ground?
      Interesting, but when I retired at Ft. Hood, I bought a Black and White Speedster from a body shop. I don't remember the name of the body shop, but I ended up selling that car to a fella in Australia?
      Bo

Comment

Just curious when was this? Im in Texas too

Comment

Mine isn't Studebaker related. When I was looking for my first car, I rode my bike past a 1967 Grand Prix that was about 8 blocks from my house. My budget was $1500. I stopped and talked to the owner and he was a retired GM executive. The car had just a tick over 100,000 miles on it. It had a 400-4V with a Turbo 400 trans. It was Marina Blue with a black vinyl top. The engine was almost clean enough to eat off of. The only flaw on the whole car was a chlorine stain on the rear carpet. I wanted that car bad!!!

I went home, went to the bank and returned to get my car. It was gone. In that time he sold it for $1200 to a guy who came by just after I left.

For a number of years in the 1980's, there was a '66 Commander with a 230-6 and a three on the tree in the back of a used car lot. I was always interested in it, but as a true Michigan car, the floors and rockers were rusted out. At the time, I thought parts for that car would be impossible to find. I know better now.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

When I turned sixteen there was a hardtop convertible in the used car lot of the local Rambler dealer. I had no idea what a Porsche was but it was a late 50's with a broken driver's seat. He wanted $50. I was pretty certain fixing the seat was not on my agenda. I passed.

Looked pretty much like this 356.
            Last edited by rockne10; 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X