Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Chris Dresbach's 1963 Turtle Prototype escape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Chris Dresbach's 1963 Turtle Prototype escape?

Ah, HA!

Check out the last picture in this e-bay listing :

(I do not have it on good authority, however, that said photograph was taken anywhere near South Bend.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Don't see any Turtles. All I see is one fantastic, unbelievably original looking '56 Packard Caribbean Convertible! Just a real piece of Art! I don't think there are words to describe this Car, just Beautiful.

Whatda ya think Bob, $75 -80,000?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-15-2013, 10:41 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it did, just don't start handling the prototype with your fingers too much. Alligator snapper prototypes tend to get a little grumpy with that, and you may not get some of them back!!
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Holy crap! that car is supreme. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Don't see any Turtles. All I see is one fantastic, unbelievably original looking '56 Packard Caribbean Convertible! Just a real piece of Art! I don't think there are words to describe this Car, just Beautiful.

Whatda ya think Bob, $75 -80,000?
          Look in the very last picture, Rich. The Caribbean is 'way in the background.

$75K or so would seem about right. It's not a restored car, but awfully nice...and, personally, I love the Naples Orange insert as an alternative to Scottish Heather...but I'm a big Scottish Heather (pink) fan, too!

Either way BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Whew! Now I get it! Last night I saw this thread and clicked on it thinking I would find some great entertaining gem of wit from (what I consider) one of our most articulate and lucid forum members, Turning Wheels contributor, and contributor to other prestigious publications. However, as it turned out, the "last" picture, as it appeared on my computer, left me bewildered and confused. I saw nothing that could be remotely related to the subject of the thread. After a brief moment of pondering, I concluded that...

My ability to comprehend what I am reading has eroded much more than I thought.

Perhaps it's a regional (north of the Mason-Dixon) thing southerners don't grasp.

Or...Mr. straight laced Palma is sneaking a few sips to many from the jug.

So...I get home from church this morning and try one more time. That is when I searched the pictures once more. The "Last" picture, as it appears on my computer, is displayed not last...as at the bottom...but beside the "First" picture at the top!

WHEW! NOW I GET IT!
            .....EVERY THING IS BACK TO NORMAL!

carry on

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks like the Turtle gets around when I'm not looking... And it likes Packard's.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

A car like that is my ultimate fantasy, have admired them since new. Don't expect to ever own one unless I win a lottery.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Ah, HA!

(I do not have it on good authority, however, that said photograph was taken anywhere near South Bend.) BP

Thats not Chris Dresbach's 1963 Turtle Prototype escaping. That's the secret 1953 Packard "Tortoise" Prototype.

Comment

Pretty car. But it needs the services of an upholsterer. The way the fabric sits all wrinkly on the seats tells me the foam underneath has crumbled to dust. It happens to Studebakers, too.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

OUCH ! ! ! Imagine whacking your knee cap on one of those metal bars on the back of the front seat, as you exit.
                      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Ah, HA!

Bob,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that ain't no turtle. That is a Gopher Tortoise, lives on land and digs damn holes everywhwere! Affectionately known as a Land Tortoise, it is also renouned for good eating.

Bo
                        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                          Bob,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that ain't no turtle. That is a Gopher Tortoise, lives on land and digs damn holes everywhwere! Affectionately known as a Land Tortoise, it is also renouned for good eating.

Bo
                          Well, Bo; it is bigger than the half-dollar size "pet" turtles we had as kids... BP

Comment

Yeah, whoops, I saw the profile of the ebay turtle and somehow mistook it for another turtle or tortoise. It's not the one I thought it was, but if none of you have seen an Alligator Snapper, you don't know what you're missing! They have a bite that will take your fingers off, and a face only a mother could love, you just wanna squeeze 'em!!

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                              Yeah, whoops, I saw the profile of the ebay turtle and somehow mistook it for another turtle or tortoise. It's not the one I thought it was, but if none of you have seen an Alligator Snapper, you don't know what you're missing! They have a bite that will take your fingers off, and a face only a mother could love, you just wanna squeeze 'em!!

Oh my! (to swerve this thread a little more in the ditch) You know what you're talking about here. Somewhere, I have a photo of me holding one of these that weighed over 50 pounds. These Dinosaurs, pound for pound, are probably one of the most powerful creatures on earth. The head you see in this picture is retracted. They can reach nearly to the back of the shell and can strike faster than a rattle snake. Back in my younger days (when I thought I was a macho outdoors-man) I used to catch the big ones and take them to my father-in-law at the fire station where he was the captain. Those firemen would prep them and make the best "turtle on rice" dish ever.

These creatures are extremely dangerous. The large ones can not only take your finger, but your whole hand! Even if you grasp them too close up on the tail...they can dig those huge claws on their hind feet into your skin. I'm a lot older and slower than I was back then. My gator snapper hunt'n days are over.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X