1960 Lark 4-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark 4-door

Help!! My son and me are working on a 1960 Lark w/ 170 ci flathead w/OD. Runs like a top! I started with the brakes and noticed a disturbing bit of info. It has standard brakes (NO power anything) and the original repair guide list only power brakes. There isn't one section on standard brakes. The actuator/cylinder is mounted on the frame. I found it and noticed the rubber grommet end is cracked. My question is does anyone out there have this issue? Thanks in advance!

My '59 Lark VI has standard brakes. I got my master cylinder from Studebaker International. Yes, the master cylinder is mounted under the floorboard. I envy those Stude owners of later years who have the master mounted on the firewall.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Might you be talking of the rubber boot that is ribbed looking that is in place to keep out moisture and dirt from the plunger side{input} of the master cylinder. If so. the rebuild kit will include this rubber. Also a new master cylinder is availabe from just about any Stude vendor or auto parts store. A new cylinder will come with the boot. That is my preferred method if you want good safe braking, start with a new master cylinder that should last for years. Get new wheel cylinders while your shopping. jimmijim.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Mitchell,

Power brakes were an option. It is not unusual to see non-power brakes on a Studebaker. In fact, I prefer them.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You must be talking about the Owner's Guide, the little glove box book. You need a real repair manual for this car.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Got all the brake parts for my '61 Lark at the local NAPA. It doesn't have power brakes either, however the master cylinder was mover to the firewall in '61.

Comment

Thanks Guys!! The Manual I was talking about is the Repair Guide the mechanics got THAT is why I was a little miffed. Thanks for the info, I'll get going on it!

Comment

Tardis; I did a complete brake overhaul on my Model 60S-W6, serial # 60S-59041, that I've owned since May, 1999. Went to my local NAPA dealer, the owner of which is a friend, and with his books, we found everything I needed and at a reasonable cost. Redid the standard brakes in 2004 and haven't had a problem since. They still work well.

Make sure you get a counterman who knows his books. Don't listen to any ol', "That's too old for our books." Too many counter people are lazy or uninformed.

Frank Drumheller
                Locust Grove, VA
                60S-W6
                M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

WARNING! If you're not familiar with these cars you will RUIN the REAR BRAKE DRUMS if you don't use a special puller to remove the drum. It's called a hub puller. A conventional drum puller will not work! The shop manual as well as many other people on this site can explain the procedure to you. Best of luck with the car.

Joe
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

Working...
                  X