Holy Cow, I Did It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cow, I Did It!

Please forgive me for bragging a little, but I just swapped out carburetors all by myself! I realize an experienced mechanic can do it in 30 minutes, but being a complete newbie at this stuff, I get credit for being slow and methodical, even if it took half a day. Car runs way, way better. Let's see, what can I take apart now....
    Sue

Great job sue!

Did you swap it for a similar carb, or did you do an upgrade? I have a shiny new 4 barrel carb and intake sitting on my workbench, just waiting for a day when I can get my worn out old 2 barrel outta there.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I did a straight swap with identical Stomberg 2 barrels.
      Sue

Comment

Good job Sue! Learn by doing.......that's how most of us learned too.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Excellent! Now show off that work and post up a picture!

Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Good job. You should be proud of the accomplishment. Do you know how many 19 year old boys (I struggle to say men) I see standing at the side of the road while the older, late 50's guy from AAA changes the tire? Too many. No telling what you might tackle next!

BTW, I put the rear quarter trim on my car a while ago. Every time I see it it reminds me of the nice woman in Maine who got it for me.

Regards, Tom
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Excellent, you are entitled to a little bragging. So what's next?
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                  Good job. You should be proud of the accomplishment. Do you know how many 19 year old boys (I struggle to say men) I see standing at the side of the road while the older, late 50's guy from AAA changes the tire? Too many. No telling what you might tackle next!

BTW, I put the rear quarter trim on my car a while ago. Every time I see it it reminds me of the nice woman in Maine who got it for me.

Regards, Tom
                  Why thank you, Tom!

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Excellent, you are entitled to a little bragging. So what's next?
                  So many choices - continue with weather seal replacement, I suppose. But now I've got the itch to crawl under the car and scrape away 48 yrs worth of gunk in the front end.
                  Sue

Comment

The front end de-gunking makes the car look so pretty from below. It's also one of those small projects that leads to lots of other small projects. Gee, those springs are sagging a bit. And that bit there looks like it could be replaced. Oh look, a rust spot on the floor panel. Would you look at all these zerk fittings! Etc...I didn't even de-gunk. I just got the thing on a lift and I saw 10 new projects staring back at me!
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

@ crusinsusin, You GO girlie!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll bet you feel like a real mechanic now! I just came from a club member's house who had a tubing bender and told me about rerouting the fuel line on my 6, so I went to NAPA, spent $5.50, and now have a longer fuel line into the carb; one step towards keeping the car from getting the vapors down the road. I was pretty pleased with spending $5 and adding a new part on the car, I can imagine you are very excited.

Comment

Good for You....a job well done! And those Stromberg 2bbl's are a great carb when in good order. Now enjoy that beautiful Maine Summer in Your Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
                          X