Questions about Zip vans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Zip vans

Does anyone know when the US stopped using zip vans? Did it coincide with the end of SASCO in the early 1970s? Does anyone happen to know how the miles per gallon compare with the mail trucks that they use now? It would be funny if the old ones were more economical. Probably not.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I can't tell you an exact date the Post Office Department totally quit using the Zip van but the Jeep DJ models started being phased in in the late'60s. Also MANY rural routes used right hand drive Ramblers or International Harvester Scouts. As far as the MPG of mail trucks...I don't think that was ever much of a concern for the Post Office. Obviously they wanted a small efficient engine but with ALL of the driving their trucks do that is stop - go - idle - stop - go - repeat the MPG stinks no matter the engine. Most of the 'newer' trucks they have are Chevrol;et S-10 chassis with the 2.0L 4 cyl. These trucks began to be phased in in the late 80's because all the old DJ's were falling apart.

Comment

The zip vans are only '63s IIRC. The current vehicles in use get lousy mileage, but there's no way to say what they would normally get. The carriers are driving very slowly and making many stops. That's not conducive to good mileage.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
        I can't tell you an exact date the Post Office Department totally quit using the Zip van but the Jeep DJ models started being phased in in the late'60s.

I believe that is correct. Another outfit that made a Post Office vehicle similar in shape to the Zip Van was one made by Off-Highway Products. It was no doubt used after the Studebaker contract ran out in 1964, and before those Jeep DJ models.

Craig

Comment

My guess is they used them for several years since they bought 4,328 of them. I don't think they were used for rural delivery, just city, where they were parked and the mail was delivered on foot for a couple blocks, then move to a new area. I have often wondered how they would work on a rural route with 600 stops per day.

I'm getting ready to find out. I just bought one, and it should be here in a couple weeks. First order of business is to see if I can set it up to work on my route. There are a few questions I can't answer till I actually get one here. But I think the factory mechanicals, properly serviced, will be just fine.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Good deal Bob!
            Glad you were able to get one!
            I know you've been looking for a long time.
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
              The zip vans are only '63s IIRC. The current vehicles in use get lousy mileage, but there's no way to say what they would normally get. The carriers are driving very slowly and making many stops. That's not conducive to good mileage.
              There were 1963 AND 1964 Models built even after the Car line shutdown as Bob A said, probably 4,328 of them. There were some running changes and cool safety designs built into them. The Large LEFT side rear Window I think was a '64 change. They had the Load Guard fence behind the Driver, special LEFT hand Exit exhaust system even though Stude. Engines all exit on the Right side, a Driver safety strap, a 4 way Flasher System, forward package tray, Special Heating & Defrost System, Exit Air vents at rear, Dual Tail Lights, Twin Traction, HD Oil Cooled Flight-O-Matic, standup and sit-down Gas Pedals and seat etc., etc. Sorry, I can no longer separate sentences with the new line key or spaces or change Color since todays Forum update.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When touring Studebaker International in South Bend at last years meet it seems like they had an abundance of left over NOS Zip van parts.
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  There were 1963 AND 1964 Models built even after the Car line shutdown as Bob A said, probably 4,328 of them. There were some running changes and cool safety designs built into them. The Large LEFT side rear Window I think was a '64 change. They had the Load Guard fence behind the Driver, special LEFT hand Exit exhaust system even though Stude. Engines all exit on the Right side, a Driver safety strap, a 4 way Flasher System, forward package tray, Special Heating & Defrost System, Exit Air vents at rear, Dual Tail Lights, Twin Traction, HD Oil Cooled Flight-O-Matic, standup and sit-down Gas Pedals and seat etc., etc. Sorry, I can no longer separate sentences with the new line key or spaces or change Color since todays Forum update.
                  I agree on the many running changes, but most of the histories I've seen said that all the Zip Vans were titled as 1964 models. The Post Office contract was not awarded until fairly late in 1963, and 1964 vehicle production had already started by the time Zip Van production could be ramped up. That said, I'm not sure it matters much at this point . . . .
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

They used them in my town, but that was long before I was a mailman. I'll ask some of the old timers the next time I see them.
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      I agree on the many running changes, but most of the histories I've seen said that all the Zip Vans were titled as 1964 models. The Post Office contract was not awarded until fairly late in 1963, and 1964 vehicle production had already started by the time Zip Van production could be ramped up. That said, I'm not sure it matters much at this point . . . .
                      My memory was different than yours on this, Skip (unusual). I guess someone will have to research the Studebaker documents.

I remember the US Giovernment order for 4238 Zip Vans to be placed with Studebaker in late 1963. They were to be 1963 Zip Vans. Many of them were made after Studebaker was into 1964 truck production, but I believe that all Zip Vans were considered to be 1963s due to the contract. The last civiian truck was made 12/27/63, but some Zip Vans were made after this date. Mine, and all others that I know, were titled as 1963s. Even Asa's diesel Zip Van was a 1963. I believe that some are NOW called 1964s because that of when they were built.

The bodies were built by Met-Pro Inc., Lansdale, PA. I remember the rear roll-up door as being from a Buffalo, NY company.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        The bodies were built by Met-Pro Inc., Lansdale, PA. I remember the rear roll-up door as being from a Buffalo, NY company.
                        Many of the companies that supplied components for the Zip Van are still around, including Met-Pro. And the rear door manufacturer is still around.: http://www.whitingdoor.com/

Craig

Comment

I guess someone will have to research the Studebaker documents.

I remember the US Giovernment order for 4238 Zip Vans to be placed with Studebaker in late 1963. They were to be 1963 Zip Vans. Many of them were made after Studebaker was into 1964 truck production, but I believe that all Zip Vans were considered to be 1963s due to the contract. The last civiian truck was made 12/27/63, but some Zip Vans were made after this date. Mine, and all others that I know, were titled as 1963s. Even Asa's diesel Zip Van was a 1963.
                          Post #12 in this thread may explain that they are '1963's. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=vanette

Craig

Comment

My memory was different than yours on this, Skip (unusual). I guess someone will have to research the Studebaker documents.

I remember the US Giovernment order for 4238 Zip Vans to be placed with Studebaker in late 1963. They were to be 1963 Zip Vans. Many of them were made after Studebaker was into 1964 truck production, but I believe that all Zip Vans were considered to be 1963s due to the contract. The last civiian truck was made 12/27/63, but some Zip Vans were made after this date. Mine, and all others that I know, were titled as 1963s. Even Asa's diesel Zip Van was a 1963. I believe that some are NOW called 1964s because that of when they were built.

I stand corrected -- will hafta revise the Stude truck history on the main SDC site. Am also gonna hafta see what book or article gave me the 1964 date.

The 1963 model year date makes sense for another reason. As Gary said, the PO Request for Procurement apparently specified 1963 model vehicles. Awards of goverment contracts are often delayed by questions from potential bidders and/or concerns over protests, and it is not unusual for an award to be made so late that the product is no longer available. Under those circumstances, the winning bidder has only two choices: (1) Build the product exactly as the bid and contract specified, or (2) Decline the contract on the grounds that the product is no longer in production. Renegotiation of the contract terms, even to just change the model year of the vehicles to be provided, is generally not an option. The 4E7D 4WD pickups (a 1959 model no longer in the 1960 catalog), that were built in April and May 1960 for the US Navy, are another example.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Good deal Bob!
                              Glad you were able to get one!
                              I know you've been looking for a long time.
                              Jeff
                              Funny how that happened. I had thought about yours, and a few others, but ultimately they didn't work for me for one reason. With a pending move I don't have room or time in my collection for another toy. I wanted one for actual use on my route. But until I actually lay my hands on one, I am not sure if it will work for me. So I had scrapped the idea all together.

i subscribe to several of those small 'collector cars for sale' mags. I was looking for something for a customer when I came across the zip van. It was cheap enough that if it won't work for me, I can pass it on at a cheap price and not lose my shirt. So just like that it went from dead idea to reality.

Life's full of surprises
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X