• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So school is out.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's because parents don't bother to use this at home:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hopefully this will lift your spirits.

My SIL is a fifth grade math/science teacher. Judy and I'm about to leave to go to his daughter's high school graduation party and I'll bet he looks more like Example One when we leave. My other high school graduating grand daughter will also be there. As it's at our son's house for both due to the size of his yard.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-15-2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I would not have a teachers or bus drivers job today. NO WAY. My hat's off to all teachers and bus drivers

Comment

So is that a pressure gauge laying underneath ?
          Originally posted by nibbs53 View Post
          [IMG][/IMG]
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Hehehe, from a middle and high school science teacher, so what's a few thousand minute daily adminstrative, classroom related, content related, lesson plan related, and materials related decisions worth? And somehow after all of that, we do actually put something new into the kid's heads day in and day out! Sleep is optional(meaning they will wear you out), and whatever lesson planning periods is highly sought after, so at the end of the term, most of us take it for what its worth and disappear from the building for a coupla months! It's not a terrible job, but it is an important one, with a very dynamic environment!
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Sadly it doesn't get any better at the community college level. I'm amazed that so many people think students go to college (especially community college) because they want to. They think the students are dedicated and appreciative. The truth is a rather large number go to community college because their parents told then to "go to school..., or get a job." Thus, community college becomes "reality deferment" as they attend to kill time and appease their parents.

My situation is even more complicated because I teach Television Production. It might as well be called "Digital Underwater Basket Weaving." I mean, an unmotivated kid is looking through the list of classes and what..., they are not going to choose our classes over English? Of course we are getting those students. The other side is that those with some skill and motivation can act like they don't need to learn anything. I have a few good students each semester, but it is just a few. The rest think they can make a living hanging skateboard videos on You Tube. Sad.

Tom
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                That's because parents don't bother to use this at home:

Bob; How often did you use a paddle on your children when they were growing up ?

John S.

Comment

Amen!

Regarding the paddle, I've got nothing against parents who spank (as long as it stays in the consequence zone, and doesn't become abusive), but I'll admit that almost four years into our own child, we've never had to spank him once, and I get compliments everywhere about how well behaved he is. 'Course, he's growing up in a behavioral treatment facility for youth with issues, so every day of his life he's exposed to more discipline in action than your average toddler might get Either way, a well behaved kid without spanking can be done, so long as consequences are in place.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

When I was growing up and got in trouble I would have preferred that my father paddled me than give me a verbal dressing down. Never once in my life did my father ever lay a hand on me.

John S

Comment

School isn't out here yet.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What is a SIL?
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          What is a SIL?
                          Son-in-Law, Scott. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was going to guess Stupid, Infuriating, Loser, but I guess it's about the same, at least maybe from my FIL's perspective!

I won't even tell you what I though FIL stood for
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Packard53; My dad did the same thing, and to this day it's nearly impossible to embarrass me. This is a bit of a sensitive topic for me. But I really hope most of the parents joke, and only joke about beating their kids if they're bad.

The reason why is I hear so many parents talking about how nice it would be to be able to beat their kids. I mean like using a paddle for just about everything. I mean the idea sounds barbaric as it is, but hitting lightly, just enough to shock the kids is all that should be required. Taking a paddle to anyone besides someone whom is actually trying to physically harm you is abuse. The parents whom would actually use a paddle, or do use one and not out of self defense I believe should have their faces paddled until they're no longer recognisable, simply to see what it's like.

My dad could absolutely scare the hell out of me with just his words, and he never once that I recall laid a hand on me; he simply didn't need to. I know people get emotional when their kids do things, but if you have to resort to physical violence against a normal, but boisterous kid, then you truly need more tools in your box of psychological punishment. I don't know loads about this, but I have been tested before by a 4yo girl. A very normal one at that, and when I felt the wanting to physically do something to her to make her quiet, besides covering her mouth when she screamed in my ear. I realised that she would've won, and I would've resorted to child abuse.

Parents whom spank their child are usually doing it because they were themselves spanked, or hit. One thing my ex told me is that we're all in charge of our own actions, we can't perpetuate something and blame it on our parents, or whomever raised us. That's simply the biggest cop out in the world. You can change your behaviour if you want to.
                              www.spannerbird.com
                              Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

Working...
                              X