Can anyone help with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with this?

I'm new here and know pretty much nothing about these cars! I passed this on the road the other day, for sale, and thought it was a cool looking car. Trying to figure out for sure what it is. I thought it was a Studebaker. I started looking around at the different models, and couldn't really place it. Certain parts looked kind of like the Packard Hawk, but other parts didn't seem right. Can anyone tell me what this is???

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0275_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1738959

Looks like a 53or 54 Starliner with a modified front end.

Comment

I would say a 55 Hardtop. Looks like a decent idea on the front, but needs a smoother transition between the front of the hood and grill.
      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
      sigpic
      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by repaer View Post
        I'm new here and know pretty much nothing about these cars! I passed this on the road the other day, for sale, and thought it was a cool looking car. Trying to figure out for sure what it is. I thought it was a Studebaker. I started looking around at the different models, and couldn't really place it. Certain parts looked kind of like the Packard Hawk, but other parts didn't seem right. Can anyone tell me what this is???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24574[/ATTACH]
        My guess would be 1955 Starliner because of the hood. I know the pix below is a C-body not K-body but it illustrates the 55 front end.

In any case a nice car but putting a 55 front bumper assembly back is not an inexpensive option. But a nice car. I much prefer the 53/54 front end though.

Bob

Comment

What are they asking for it? Would need a lot more details.

Comment

I haven't stopped and talked to them, but had a price on it of $2700...

Comment

Yes, that 'nose job' really doesn't work......Interesting wheels on it though! Stude powered?

Comment

I haven't stopped and talked to them, but had a price on it of $2700...
                Not terrible if it's running and driving, but it needs a grill and a front bumper. If actually interested really give a good looking over for rust, these cars can rust out so bad. If the body and frame are decent, then I'd offer 2-2500 and use the money I saved to get the right front peices back on it or even a 53 front clip. Maybe it looks worse in the pics but I don't like the custom work. here is what it looked from factory Here is what it would like with a factory front painted body color Here is a 53 style front clip Same style body with a hawk front end Lots of differnet options with that same basic body style, you could even leave it as is if you wanted but the possibilities are all but endless with this car, so long as it isn't rusty.

Comment

I believe everyone (but me) was right. After a second look, I think I was wrong. I knew the hood looked like 55 but I wasen't sure about the rear bumper and taillights.

Comment

It's just another '53-'56 K Body, IT!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                      Not terrible if it's running and driving, but it needs a grill and a front bumper. If actually interested really give a good looking over for rust, these cars can rust out so bad. If the body and frame are decent, then I'd offer 2-2500 and use the money I saved to get the right front peices back on it or even a 53 front clip. Maybe it looks worse in the pics but I don't like the custom work.
                      Lots of differnet options with that same basic body style, you could even leave it as is if you wanted but the possibilities are all but endless with this car, so long as it isn't rusty.
                      Thanks for all the replies! This place is great! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's been sitting awhile, so I'd be surprised if it runs. So, maybe a little high on the price? I still think it's a nice looking car. I may have to stop and check on it...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! This place is great! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's been sitting awhile, so I'd be surprised if it runs. So, maybe a little high on the price? I still think it's a nice looking car. I may have to stop and check on it...
                        Get us some better pics while your at it. We can tell you what it's worth. And we'll do our damnedest to talk you Into buying it.

Comment

If you can, a photo or description of the metal tag on the cowl under the hood just in front of the passenger.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Nope, not a good enough excuse. It isn't, '...it's been sitting awhile, I'm surprised if it runs...', the question you have to ask is, 'does the motor turn over or is it stuck?'. Your standards are too low.

Comment

As others have said it is probably a 55 Starliner. I would bet that at some point the front bumper and grill got crunched and the custom work was done instead of replacing with original. Unbroken 55 grill pieces can be difficult to find, and are expensive to have re-chromed so be forewarned on that.

Looks like a neat car.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X