54 Gas tank sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Gas tank sending unit

When I built my 54 more than 10 years ago, only a generic sending unit was available. I tried to form the wire arm the same as the stock one but apparently missed because it is not accurate. It shows less than 3/4 when full. Does anyone have a template of how it is supposed to look?

Thanks

Alex

I have that same problem on my 53. The good part is when it hits empty you still have fuel and time to find a station. On my old sender when it 1/4 it was too late.

Denny L

Comment

Alex, do you remember if the float was Cork, Brass or Plastic? As you know the Cork ones tend to sink with the Ethanol fuel eating them.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Was that sender change before or after I had to go and get you some gas when you ran out. <GGG>
        Originally posted by Green53 View Post
        I have that same problem on my 53. The good part is when it hits empty you still have fuel and time to find a station. On my old sender when it 1/4 it was too late.

Denny L
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

After. Darn car needed gas to run. 1/4 tank empty was embarrassing. Good ole Frank was there to bail me out.

Denny L

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was brass. It has always been off.

Comment

Here's a pic, but I don't actually have the part to take measurements. A service bulletin says ".....measure the wire from the centre of the float to the point where it is fastened to the gauge body. It should measure approximately 4 5/16".

Click image for larger version

Name:	532261.sender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1680334
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X