1964 Studebaker Daytona convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker Daytona convertible

I have just purchased my first Studebaker. A 1964 Daytona convertible. I know only ~700 were built. Can I expect parts to be hard to find? Can anyone provide sources for parts? This is my first post. I just joined SDC a couple weeks ago.

David Daoust
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

You sure picked a fun car for your first Studebaker. Most of the parts for your car will be common with most '64 to '66 Studebakers. You'll find this forum to be a huge help and a lot of fun. Post some pics when you get a chance. You'll find SDC is great as well. Welcome to the world of Studebakers!
    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona Hardtop
    1962 Champ Truck
    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Only a few convertible specific parts might be hard to find, and these, having a convertible, you likely already have.
      There are still a LOT of N.O.S 'Lark type' parts available, and thankfully a good many of the convertibles that were parted out were in Studebaker enthusiasts hands, and the rare and unique parts were salvaged and stashed. Sheet-metal and most trim are in common with the HTs and are still quite easy to locate. (But for big panels shipping can be an expensive pain, always a good excuse to high off to a large Studebaker meet to find and pick up parts in person I have learned to always take a big van even if I have to rent one, there are some incredible deals to be found if you got the means of transport)
      Original soft trim parts in decent condition are becoming scarce, however reproduction upholstery and panels are available but not cheap.

From my perspective having owned 6 1964 Lark-type Daytona's they are perhaps one of the easiest of 1960s models to locate parts for because so much remained in inventory when the Company folded, and was never scrapped, this is why I presently have 5 new hoods, half-dozen sets of fenders, quarter-panels and a dozen or more bumpers, which is not all that unusual with Stude fans.
      Last edited by Jessie J.; 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Welcome!
        You started at the top of the food chain for Lark types.
        "Parts" takes in a lot. The chassis is basically the same from 1951-1966. Assuming that you have a V8, the engine is basically the same from 1951/1955-1966. Most of the body panels are the same from 1964-1966. The hardest parts to find will be convertible specific parts.
        When you receive your Turning Wheels from SDC you will learn that there are many large and small vendors that specialize in Studebaker parts.
        There is a very active SDC Chapter in NH/ME/VT.
        The SDC Northeast Zone Meet is August 3 (2-4) in Marlborough, MA.
        703 1964 convertibles. It is one of the lowest production S-P postwar cars, but not the lowest.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What is the serial number? That will tell us if it was made in South Bend or Hamilton.

Craig

Comment

Welcome to the club and forum! Owned a 1962 Lark Daytona convertible years ago, what a fun car to own and drive!
            I wish I never had sold it! Didn't have any trouble finding parts for her, things are a little harder now a days, but still can be found. We have a great resource here, if you can't find some thing, ask here.
            How's the rust issues with your new Lark type? I was originally from the Keene area and remember three year old cars with huge rust out areas!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              What is the serial number? That will tell us if it was made in South Bend or Hamilton.

Craig
              The serial number is 64V18827
              David Daoust
              Stratham, NH
              '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

I just bought the car. I haven't even laid eyes on it other than a couple pictures. It's currently on a truck headed to me. I had a pre-purxchase inspection on the car and it is in solid condition. Not a "perfect" show car but a very solid driver. The inspection found no evidence of excessive rust. It has a 289 R1 engine with a 4bbl carb. Mostly needs cosmetic attention.
                David Daoust
                Stratham, NH
                '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Just for the record, I'm not totally new to old cars. I have a 1947 Ford convertible and I'm a member of the Early Ford V8 Club of America.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00355.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1680324
                  David Daoust
                  Stratham, NH
                  '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

David, welcome to the forum. I have a hardtop and if it wasn't rust free, I'd have the same problems. The quarters and the doors should be the same. Those and a good grille should be the hardest parts to source. Everything else is common to 1964 - 1966. NOS and used parts should not be hard to find.

As for finding a convertible, lucky dog... EDIT: As for finding an R1 convertible, !@#$%^! :-)

The car was made in South Bend. You can go thru the museum and get the build sheet on the car. As for parts...

Last edited by Swifster; 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

You will need to see the condition of the pot metal mouldings atop the doors & rear quarters. These are "unobtainium"...meaning you will likely never find them unless you buy a complete 1963 junk or parts' car hoping these pieces are not missing. I say 63' because there are no 64' ragtop parts' cars out there....GL

Comment

Here is a link to many vendors of Studebaker parts: http://www.studebakervendors.com/
                        All (or nearly all) mechanical parts are shared with the 1963 Lark types and many body panels such as doors and rear fenders are shared with the 1963 Daytonas. Front body panels and decklid are some of the panels shared with the '65-'66 type.
                        I too have a 1964 Daytona convertible, in fact I drove it to work today and ran some errands with it. It's red with a white top and black interior. Happy to hear of another Daytona convert out there.
                        Last edited by Milaca; 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Welcome, David; you'll enjoy your 1964 Daytona convertible. Where did you buy it?

Your involvement with flathead Fords: Do you know Greg Eaton of Brownsburg IN, formerly of Indianapolis?

Greg is on the Board of Directors of The Early V8 Ford Foundation and heavily involved in The Early Ford V8 Museum in Auburn IN. Greg and I have been friends since days at Purdue University, before either of us lived in Brownsburg, much less both of us. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And another thing, '64s are fun to drive!!!!!!

Comment

As others have said, a '64 Daytona Convertible is a rare and much desired Studebaker. There's lots of Stude Club activity in the New England area. Hope to see You and Your 'New Baby' at an upcoming meet!

Comment

Working...
                              X