Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Springs

I see that in the vicinity of the host hotel in Colorado Springs its under evacuation.....this is not good !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    I see that in the vicinity of the host hotel in Colorado Springs its under evacuation.....this is not good !
    Great! We'll get a discount on the room rate.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Mark , we may want to take a tent with us !
      sigpic

Comment

I did not have a lot of vacation time to spend, so I'm flying down (instead of driving). As long as the plane can land safely at Denver, I should be OK. I would have a hard time getting a king size bed in a tent!

Hopefully, things will have cooled down a little before we arrive.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

On the news it appears that the fire is not in the city itself, but rather in the outlying areas. However, these thousands of folks having to evacuate all have to stay somewhere, hope it is not at the host hotel.
          Last edited by 41 Frank; 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking Frank.....we may not have anywhere to stay when we get there !
            sigpic

Comment

As long as the hotel is not under renovation I will be happy. My reservation is confirmed so no one can take my room, all is right with the world.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Don't bet on that .....under a disaster order everything can change
                Last edited by 2R5; 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Capt. Tom from our local Salvation Army Corps is leaving in the morning for Colorado to assist with the Army's relief efforts there. He was called upon last year as well. He was told to expect to be there for at least two weeks. Our event means nothing compared to what is happening and may continue to happen if the fires are not brought under control.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

My friend John who if I go I will stay with is keeping me up to date. So far the fire is on the North end of town and over the mountain from Colorado Springs. The bad part is the Black Forest area is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. I will have him check with the local hotels to see what the next two weeks are looking like room wise.
                    Dan

Comment

2moredoors;

They could easily kick your reservation in a half a second because of the evacuation if they wanted to. Pat's statement is so true. If this was happening in your area of the world, I think you'd be saying, "who cares about a car show, I've lost my home and need a place to stay for a while."
                      www.spannerbird.com
                      Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

If you are going to Colorado Springs early, there is currently a need for volunteers in many areas; things like helping prepare meals for firefighters, helping at pet shelters and livestock shelters and just helping out with the many things that are needed. If you are on facebook, here is one link https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoBla...ocation=stream

Comment

Just want to let everyone know that our host hotel, Elegante (formerly Crowne Plaza) is not in the fire zone or under evacuation. It is way of south of there. Also, we have not heard that your rooms will not be available, since most of us on the committee have reserved rooms there also. Flying into Denver should not be a problem. There were some delays the first day due to the smoke and haze, and they closed some of the landing strips. I have not heard of any today. Colorado Springs in the south area has a lot of hotels, and in the Waldo fire last year, not all hotels were full. Many evacuees have family either in the Springs or nearby communities. By the way, the hotel is not under renovation. Was there on Wednesday for meeting with hotel manager, and it is still as beautiful as it was before name change. I am making daily updates on the forum under "2013 International in Colo. Springs...

Comment

Originally posted by Trish View Post
                            Just want to let everyone know that our host hotel, Elegante (formerly Crowne Plaza) is not in the fire zone or under evacuation. It is way of south of there. Also, we have not heard that your rooms will not be available, since most of us on the committee have reserved rooms there also. Flying into Denver should not be a problem. There were some delays the first day due to the smoke and haze, and they closed some of the landing strips. I have not heard of any today. Colorado Springs in the south area has a lot of hotels, and in the Waldo fire last year, not all hotels were full. Many evacuees have family either in the Springs or nearby communities. By the way, the hotel is not under renovation. Was there on Wednesday for meeting with hotel manager, and it is still as beautiful as it was before name change. I am making daily updates on the forum under "2013 International in Colo. Springs...
                            Saw a piece on the ABC Nightly News with David Muir at 5:30pm KC time. They interviewed a couple that had been evacuated due to the Black Forest fire. They claimed no hotel/motels available in CS and had to drive 2 hrs one way to find lodging. My sis lives 1-1/2hr northwest of CS in Evergreen, west of Denver on I-70. She said she was evacuated for 2 days from her house Monday due to another fire up that way. I procrastinated on booking a room for the meet so I probably won't go now. Don't want to fight for a room when they are needed for the locals.
                            \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                            \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

ABC news is wrong....I live here in Littleton about an hour from the Springs. Our host hotel is in the southern part of CS and surrounded by several other hotels, motels. Hope you change your mind, look forward to seeing everyone here.

Comment

Working...
                              X