New to all of this, just bought a 1963 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all of this, just bought a 1963 Lark

Howdy everyone. The wife and I were driving down the rode and spotted this Lark for sale and we were drawn to it so we bought it. Not really sure what I bought and was hoping you guys could help me out, I know its a lark but I am not sure which sub model it may or may not be. Here is the link which I hope works because I can not seem to get the photo to attach correctly. http://mmg.photobucket.com/albumview...2nxjlhQHgF4%3D

Here is another attempt at attaching the photo after reading the forum on it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There is a tag on the cowl in the engine compartment infront of the passenger that will give the information on the car. If you post it here someone can tell you more about it. Nice looking car.
      rob

Comment

As to your car, it is a later model than the one I have. More details would be helpful. Is it a six cylinder, or V8? We love pictures, so more would be helpful. There are folks here that can probably tell more from the picture you posted than I can. Great to have you on board. Seriously consider joining the national SDC and your local chapter. Also, one of the best moves you can make is to buy the shop manual for your car. They are available from various sources.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just from the picture and looking at the side molding, I would say a custom or a deluxe model. The Standard did not have the chrome strip on the side and Daytona's and Cruisers had more side trim. Whether 6 or 8 it is a great little car. I had a deluxe 6/auto and drove it as my daily car for years. Trouble free and a joy to drive. Especially loved the vanity for drive through s or the drive in.

As mapman said, give us the data on the plate on the firewall and we can tell you for sure.

Welcome aboard!

Mark

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Looks like a pretty car! If you can provide us with a few more details we can help you identify it. There should be a body tag on the passenger side cowl under the hood. Let us know what the numbers and letters are on that tag and folks will be able to tell you exactly. The picture is pretty small, larger ones from more angles showing the interior and under the hood will also be helpful. We always encourage new owners to join the Studebaker Drivers Club. This will open you up to numerous resources and a great monthly magazine that will make your new Studebaker life more fulfilling.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

thanks for all the information. happy to be here for sure. I will take some more pictures today when I get home and add them to the photobucket account since I can't seem to figure out the attach picture option as of yet. It is a v6 with 54k original miles and the guy had it in his garage for 25 years untouched so it all seems to be in really good shape from what I can tell at the moment. I'm sure once I get down into it so things will arise but that is the fun of an older car.

Comment

This should be a bigger picture or the other. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bush...tml?sort=3&o=0

Comment

Hey, I'll echo what everyone else said in welcoming you to our forums. I've got a 63 myself. What a fun ride.

Motor wise, are sure it's not a straight 6? Studebaker never had a V6, only straight 6 (6 spark plugs all lined up on the driver side of the motor) or a V8 (4 spark plugs on each side).

I'd bet It's a regal. Too much chrome to be a standard, not enough to be a custom.

One really cool thing to know is that you can order a copy of your actual build sheet, the paper that was with the car through the birthing process at the factory, that tells you just about everything you'll ever want to know about the car. The Studebaker national museum has all of these records.

Good luck finding out more. We're here to help you keep her on the road. And again, welcome!
                  Last edited by JimC; 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot regal replaced deluxe in 63
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

yes sorry it is an inline 6. I have two old bronco's a 69 and a 75 as well and I am use to adding the V in front of my motors, haha

Comment

Originally posted by Ensane13 View Post
                      yes sorry it is an inline 6. I have two old bronco's a 69 and a 75 as well and I am use to adding the V in front of my motors, haha
                      Really nice car. This appears to be a Lark Regal, which was formerly the Deluxe in the '62 model year. I have an original 1963 full-line brochure that I purchased at the old Studebaker National Museum back around 1987. The Regal was the lowest-price line that year until the introduction of the Standard (no Lark designation) in early 1963. The Custom, the new mid-line series that year, had a flare coming off the side trim similar to the 1962 Daytona.

Comment

The badge under the hood reads 63S-Y4 3418. I will upload the pictures I just took to my folder shortly and post the links. Thanks again for all of the info.

Comment

The badge under the hood reads 63S-Y4 3418. I will upload the pictures I just took to my folder shortly and post the links. Thanks again for all of the info.
                          Indeed, that confirms it is a Regal with a 6-cylinder engine.

Craig

Comment

That indicates a 1963 Studebaker Lark Regal four door sedan with a 170 cid OHV inline six cylinder engine. It was the 3418th body of that style welded up.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Great to find out what I have, thanks guys. Waiting on pictures to transfer from the phone to the pc then I'll post them.

Comment

Working...
                              X