Super Lark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Lark question

Did all Super Larks have the hood insulation installed on them when they left the factory?
    thanks

For the most part, Paul; yes. But I would never use the word ALL! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wasn't that part of the undercoating package? If so, then when undercoating was deleted, there wouldn't be insulation under the hood. Studebaker cars, at that time, came wth the undercoating package unless it was deleted.

This is from memory. You would need someone to look this up.

I would think that it should have the underhood pad unless the build order shows a delete for the pad and/or undercoating.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very good thought. Does anyone have this information?
        THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
          Very good thought. Does anyone have this information?
          THANKS
          Here is a build sheet:

It list undercoating so I'd assume it was added and not a Std feature. I could be wrong. From the bottom of the hood there seems to be traces of where glue was. Odd to order a race car and have it weighted down by undercoating let alone needing it in Phoenix AZ!

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            Here is a build sheet:

It list undercoating so I'd assume it was added and not a Std feature. I could be wrong. From the bottom of the hood there seems to be traces of where glue was. Odd to order a race car and have it weighted down by undercoating let alone needing it in Phoenix AZ!

The factory undercoating is a better sound deadener than undercoating. Bare sheet metal is just like a tin can when hit by pebbles thrown up by the tires.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Option #42 (undercoating) was denoted C.O. (Compulsory Option) on Specifications & Prices for all models except the base six-cylinder 2-doors: Early 1963, Regal F4; Mid-1963, Standard F2; 1964, Challenger F2.

To the best of my knowledge, it had nothing to do with an underhood pad one way or another. I've just combed a hundred sheets, more or less, of 1963 and 1964 original specification & prices, advance dealer information, etc., and can find no relationship between hood pad and undercoating.

Chances are excellent that when Ray Tanner ordered The Whistler (63V15969), they forgot to specifically delete underocating, which they would have had to do if they wanted the car built without it.

Incidentally, when I was researching the undercoating question, I ran across an item in Studebaker News that proudly said, "Each car leaves the factory with approximately 50 pounds of undercoating." BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM. Reason: added undercoating weight finding
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My uncle used to undercoat new Studes at the dealership.
                The cost was $35 in 1954. I don't know the status of the cars -- whether they were inventory or the dealer saved the customer a little bit by offering undercoat after delivery.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I recall the story of Gordon Williams ordering a '63 R car and specifically did NOT want under coating as he was going to drag race it. When he went to pick it up the dealer was trying to be nice and undercoated it for him. He was not happy having to scrape it all off.

Ted

Comment

Martha Fleener, Sherwood Egbert's secretary, told me that Studebaker used to undercoat the car by dropping into a vat of undercoating at the factory. Any truth to that?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                      Martha Fleener, Sherwood Egbert's secretary, told me that Studebaker used to undercoat the car by dropping into a vat of undercoating at the factory. Any truth to that?
                      See profile pics of the dismantled 61 Lark.. Sprayed on, like bed liner!

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      <snip> Studebaker News that proudly said, "Each car leaves the factory with approximately 50 pounds of undercoating." BP
                      The guy who media stripped my car said "EEK!" as well..
                      Last edited by SScopelli; 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                        The factory undercoating is a better sound deadener than undercoating. Bare sheet metal is just like a tin can when hit by pebbles thrown up by the tires.
                        The 'factory undercoating' was a death sentance to many Studebakers here in the Northeast!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                          She must have gotten the term: "Deep Dip Rustproofing" mixed up with "Undercoating"!
                          There is no way you could have dipped them without a LOT of it going where you do not want it.

The '64 South Bend Cars and possibly Canadian '64, '65 and '66 Models were "Deep Dip" rustproofed and hand touched up in smaller areas. It did work way better than none, not anything like the Tar Undercoating that they also got.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As I remember Chrysler's & AMC of the time literally dipped their cars in a primer type rustproofing but Studebaker sprayed theirs on. They had no facilities for "dipping" the bodies. If they did there would have been at least a place in the building 84 tour recently that would have uncovered such.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The process referred to as dipping is relative to the primer. This procedure was called e-dip, as it was electrically charged for better adhesion and rust prevention. The undercoating was sprayed, not dipped. If the production order didn't state undercoating, then there was none from the factory. However, the dealer could've undercoated the car as a dealer installed item to increase his profit on the transaction. My 1964 Daytona was delivered new to California. There is no undercoating, but the underhood padding was installed, either at the factory, or by the dealer. Also, the car has the R-1 option.

Comment

Working...
                              X