help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

I have a 1954 Commander Starliner and I'm missing a part to complete it's restoration. I desperately need the screen and bezel that goes around the rear radio speaker on the shelf below the rear window. The one I have to have is approximately 6x9 inches. The one that came with the car had a small gold "s" in the middle of the screen wire. The car has turned out beautifully, but looks totally incomplete with a big hole in that back shelf. I'll pay a reasonable price to anyone that can come up with the part. Sincerely, Claude P. Williams...Dothan, Alabama 36305. Phone (334) 792-4147.. Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by showbizkid; 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM. Reason: personal data removed

Nice car and congrats on putting another one back on the road. That is a rare accessory. Some longtime Stude alumni may have one hidden. Bob Petersen at CandBStudebakers comes to mind. I searched eBay for a couple of years for parts for my 55 and have never seen one of those offered. Also try Paul Revell (55s) for those really hard to find parts. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Scraped out a 53K that had one of those a couple of years ago and couldn't give it away, so it went to China.

Comment

I've seen those at stude swap meets in the past. Check with some of the vendors. I would have to check the parts book (if it even lists it..) but the S maybe the exact same casting as the S used on the trunk lid of the early '53's with the tri-star emblems. My thought there is a possible way to make up a similar bezel from some other one. The real ones do have a pretty thick/wide rim on them unlike any other I have seen though. They are also not rectangular, more of a trapezoid shape.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
          I've seen those at stude swap meets in the past. Check with some of the vendors. I would have to check the parts book (if it even lists it..) but the S maybe the exact same casting as the S used on the trunk lid of the early '53's with the tri-star emblems. My thought there is a possible way to make up a similar bezel from some other one. The real ones do have a pretty thick/wide rim on them unlike any other I have seen though. They are also not rectangular, more of a trapezoid shape.
          I'll have to go look at mine, but I think the "S" is much smaller than that. This is a very tiny picture of mine. I got it many years ago out of a '53 Land Cruiser.
          Attached Files
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Your do know the commanders came with a rear package tray cover? You don't have to leave the hole exposed. I do have one of the covers you want, but I am trying to decide if I want to sell my accessories or not. I may offer the whole package here. I have one member i will offer it to first and if I don't sell it all I will contact you, if you still need one. Here's one like the one I have (except mine has new paint and a nos S. Is this what you are looking for?

I guess you can cancel this, I see 53K has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
              Your do know the commanders came with a rear package tray cover?
              Tex,
              Mine is an early '53 Commander with painted steel tray. You may be correct on the '54's.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Tex,
                Mine is an early '53 Commander with painted steel tray. You may be correct on the '54's.
                1953 C/Ks had at least three different package tray treatments, but this was all resolved to one by the 1954 model year.

The same rear speaker kit is used for 1953 and 1954. It is AC-2302.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The speaker size for the rear package tray is 5 X 7.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X