lark 1961 talk and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lark 1961 talk and help

Hello, Here is what I have done so far to the lark I just got for my fifteenth birthday. before and after pictures. its been over 104 degrees last couple of days.My father gave me the car and im building it on my own. If you need any pictures of anything certain parts or places just let me know and i will take it and post it for helping reasons. anyways so far i painted it and re-greased the diff. and drive shaft, fixed windows missing parts still, and took motor out it was held in their by some rope but took it out and got some motor mounts and same for transmission cleaning gas tank. One big element that's missing is the starter I haven't been able to find one that i can afford. Also is it true i can pop start a automatic.
    thanks
    Larker

I've read where you can jump start the BW auto tranny by getting up to 25-30mph, then dropping the gearshift lever into "L" ...need to have ignition key in the "on" position..... What starter do you need ? V8 or 6? I think 61' is a Delco.....if a V8, I might have one..but Mass.....GL

Comment

I've got starters here, but we can't guess which one you might need.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Larker. If you use the "Insert Image" Icon, the third one to the right of the Smiley Icon you can enter Pics from the PhotoBucket website or your computer. These 4 did not work.

Yes you can "pop" the clutch with a charged Battery connected, fuel in the Carb. and a 15 MPH or less roll or 25-30 MPH with an Automatic push started in N and dropped into L or D.

This method really does not work well however, because you can't mess with it, prime it or get a second chance easily when it is moving. A long standing Engine will always need a little help firing up.

We do need to know if you have a 6 Cyl. or a V-8 and Auto or Stick, to help with finding a Starter though.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Its a 6 cyl ohv
          Dont know if it maters but originaly it was a V8 auto
          Thanks huge for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Larker View Post
            Its a 6 cyl ohv
            Dont know if it maters but originaly it was a V8 auto
            Thanks huge for the help
            So does that mean it is an Automatic? The Starters ARE different.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He does ask if an automatic can be pop started.
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yep its a Six with a 3 speed automatic.
                Im stuck in the middle of nowhere with no place to work at the age of 15 not much cash im not looking for a high dollar rebuilt starter im just trying to find a cheap
                one so i can get this car running and find work because i wanna rebuild it better.
                thanks guys
                Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130605_001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1680281Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130605_002.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1680282Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130610_003.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1680283Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130610_004.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1680284Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130610_001.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1680285

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Actually, for OHV six cylinder Larks the starters are the same manual or automatic transmission. Autolite/Prestolite MDU-7005.

Comment

I think I have a grill you can have for free. Not great but good enough for now. Is this is the first case of a Stude V8 being replaced by a 6?
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

WAY cool!
                      I remember my (13th year) Christmas present of a Service manual and Shop manual (and my 14th birthday in Feb) present of a pair of coil springs and rear leaf springs....
                      Your quest is off and running!!!!!!!!!!
                      Jeff

Originally posted by Larker View Post

Hello, Here is what I have done so far to the lark I just got for my fifteenth birthday. before and after pictures. its been over 104 degrees last couple of days.My father gave me the car and im building it on my own. If you need any pictures of anything certain parts or places just let me know and i will take it and post it for helping reasons. anyways so far i painted it and re-greased the diff. and drive shaft, fixed windows missing parts still, and took motor out it was held in their by some rope but took it out and got some motor mounts and same for transmission cleaning gas tank. One big element that's missing is the starter I haven't been able to find one that i can afford. Also is it true i can pop start a automatic.
                      thanks
                      Larker
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I for one ---am impressed with the work. You should be proud. There are a ton of people on here that I'm sure are willing to help out a bunch. I've acguired a 62 Studebaker-2 door- that I'm parting out. And I'm not sure of all the differences between a 61 and a 62...... Do you have a tag under the hood on the pasenger side identifying the car? Or a shop manual?

Comment

Congrats on fixing Your Studebaker.

Upon your journey you'll learn and discover many things about your car.
                          Many fun, some a headache.
                          For instance there are many parts on your 61 that have been replaced from other year larks.
                          A pretty common act-swapping parts if the correct ones can't be found.

So if you have questions. Be sure to have pictures to go along with questions.

An example: let's say you had a question about your heater. Well your passenger inner fender (or the whole fender) has been taken from a 59-60 lark. That square hole is where the heater core air box for a 59-60 went.
                          So a picture clears up situations like this and avoids misunderstood descriptions in forum posts.

Good luck with your car.
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1680286Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1680287Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1680288This is my 62. Ask the peop;e on here if my parts are interchangeable with a 61.....Rick

Comment

The Engine and all of it's parts, the Transmission if it is an Automatic, for starters.
                              And speaking of Starters, that too!

If that right inner and or outer fender are good he could use that.

I do think though, that shipping from Iowa to Arizona would probably be too expensive on large or heavy parts, even if the parts are free, unless someone is going that way.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X