Pat Dilling's Inspiration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Dilling's Inspiration?

Many have observed the pleasant, conservative chop on Pat Dilling's red 1953 Starlight Coupe, STU COOL, featured in the June Turning Wheels and in this thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-s-a-Starlight!

'Couldn't help but think of it this morning when I ran across this circa 1954 Studebaker Parts & Accessories tri-fold flyer, encouraging Studebaker dealers to use Lustur-Seal:

Check out that roofline; it looks like the artist took some liberties, chopping and raking that top.

Hmmmm.....did Pat have this flyer tucked under his bed as a youngster, planning his eventual build? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM. Reason: grammar
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Check out that roofline; it looks like the artist took some liberties, chopping and raking that top.

It doesn't look so much chopped as it does raised up in the rear. I wonder if the artist was a very tall person and wanted to drop some hints.

Craig

Comment

Maybe this was his secret; he achieved that look by rubbing LUSTUR SEAL all over his car?

While we're on this topic, where can I find some of this stuff? I have a cabinet full of Lark Shine, but that doesn't do anything for customizing body work.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Now Bob, don't be giving away my secrets!

Actually the chopper of my car, Loren Roberts, was inspired by an article from renowned California Kustomizer Dick Dean entitled "How to Chop a Studebaker." It does look like that advertisement could have influenced Dick to level the roof.

I'm going to search for some of that Luster Seal to use on my Conestoga!
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I don't know if that particular article refers to it as "The Gentlemans Chop".
          Dick Dean did the first and I've always heard it called that.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            I don't know if that particular article refers to it as "The Gentlemans Chop".
            Dick Dean did the first and I've always heard it called that.
            You are correct, the article did refer to it as a Gentleman's chop. The article used a Starliner which is much easier, they stated he had it done and ready for glass installation in a couple of hours.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I could sure use that luster seal on my original paint 55 Conestoga. It is very hard to get it to shine. Hood shines ok, but the Tailgate is so dull. I've tried a lot of different products with very little success. The white part is ok, it's the Saginaw Green that,s giving me fits
              Last edited by clonelark; 06-12-2013, 01:16 AM.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                I could sure use that luster seal on my original paint 55 Conestoga. It is very hard to get it to shine. Hood shines ok, but the Tailgate is so dull. I've tried a lot of different products with very little success. The white part is ok, it's the Saginaw Green that,s giving me fits
                Is Lark Shine NLA?
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment