Prewar Studes north to Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prewar Studes north to Alaska

I thought newsgroup members might be interested in two intrepid pilots who are making their way to Alaska in pre war Studebakers. Ford Stoecker of Cape Girardeau, Missouri is driving his 1937 President "hump back" panel delivery and John Burgh of Concord, Calif is in his 1946 Champion Coupe. (Incidentally Richard Dormois is accompanying John.) They have been on the road now for 7 days and John has filed two email reports that I am including below. The photo above is compliments of Ann Turner and Art Unger who joined them for a part of the journey. The locations John mentions in his email correspondence place them fairly close to their destination (Fairbanks). You can easily trace their route on a map.

Just thought you folks might like to see how Antique Studebaker Club guys get pleasure out of their vehicles.

Report #1 (8-28-07)

Arrived in Fort Nelson last night......more than half way to
    Fairanks. Apart from some rain on Saturday, weather has been perfect. Cars running great, road so far is excellent asphalt pavement, people having much fun. The 46 getting about 19 mpg, the 37 delivering around 16. Delayed about 6 hours in Chetwynd (near Dawlson Creek) by overdrive failure in the '46 due to the over-running clutch frying itself....we dropped the transmission, removed the shredded OD parts, and re-installed it as a conventional transmission. Reduced top speed a bit, but still pleasant to drive. Today we will stop at Laird Hot Springs and marinate our bones in the natural spa for a while. Scenery truly spectacular all along the road...although only one moose seen so far. Hope to send pictures next time (haven't found a place to download from the camera yet.)

Sight-seeing plus driving 400 miles a day makes for long days....we were too tired when we arrived last night to stay up and watch the eclipse. With the clear air and big sky, it would have been impressive up here.

Happy to hear of the successful effort to have a Lark convertible lead the parade officially opening the new Benicia Bridge last Saturday. Thanks to Pat Campbell for arranging this for us. This great exposure is one payoff for our supporting the grand opening of the Willows Cabaret Theater (in the old dealership building) in Martinez in May. More later soon.

John Burgh

Report #2 (8-29-07)

We are in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Everything going well, cars performing just fine. The road continues excellent. Beautiful weather....yesterday we saw (right out on the road, some of them requiring us to stop or slowly pass through them) moose, several herds of buffalo, many Dall sheep, lots of caribou. This morning we visited the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake, and posted two Studebaker signs, an important addition to the 40,000+ that are there already. Tomorrow AM will be sight-seeing in Whitehorse, then departure for Beaver Creek on the Alaska border. We get to Fairbanks late afternoon on Friday. Friendly people and wonderful hospitality everywhere we stop. We are having a blast!

John Burgh

R. Quinn
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Golly, I wish you had posted this a few days earlier. I'm working at a wellsite southwest of Ft. St. John, B.C., and am no more than 1.5 hours by road from either that city or Chetwynd. I could have taken some time off and made a road trip to town to meet these folks.

Is there any way to contact them so I could (hopefully) meet them on the return trip?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Golly, I wish you had posted this a few days earlier. I'm working at a wellsite southwest of Ft. St. John, B.C., and am no more than 1.5 hours by road from either that city or Chetwynd. I could have taken some time off and made a road trip to town to meet these folks.

Is there any way to contact them so I could (hopefully) meet them on the return trip?

Comment

Contact me personally and I will give you John's email address.

R. Quinn
        Richard Quinn

Comment

R. Quinn
          Richard Quinn

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

R. Quinn
            What is their return trip itinery? Will they be able to make the SDC and ASC Zone Meet in Penticton, B.C. on the weekend of September 14-16. It would be an added bonus for us who are planning on being at the meet. The ASC is having their tour of the local meet area on the Friday.

Craig

Comment

R. Quinn
              What is their return trip itinery? Will they be able to make the SDC and ASC Zone Meet in Penticton, B.C. on the weekend of September 14-16. It would be an added bonus for us who are planning on being at the meet. The ASC is having their tour of the local meet area on the Friday.

Craig

Comment

Craig
                [/quote]
                I had spoken with John B. some time back and had invited him to the Penticton Zone Meet. He was unsure of his schedule at that time, but he is definitely aware of the Meeet and logistics. I am hoping to see him there.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Craig
                  [/quote]
                  I had spoken with John B. some time back and had invited him to the Penticton Zone Meet. He was unsure of his schedule at that time, but he is definitely aware of the Meeet and logistics. I am hoping to see him there.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Update on 8-30:

We made it to Beaver Creek, the last town inside the Yukon. The machines continue to haul us without complaint. The road today had a few bumpy patches, but did not slow us down. Saw several wildlife warning signs, but no actual critters. Having lunch at a truck stop today, a gentlemen in a bus tour group came over (having seen the Studebaker hats) and said he used to be a SDC member, from Harrisburg PA. He now lives in Iowa. He knows Mike Margerum well......we are not safe from Mike's informants anywhere, it would appear. )

We cross the border into Alaska early in the morning, and expect to be in Fairbanks in late afternoon. I will find a computer there that will let me download some pictures of the adventure so far.....Not that any picture could capture this country, or this adventure!

John Burgh

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Update on 8-30:

We made it to Beaver Creek, the last town inside the Yukon. The machines continue to haul us without complaint. The road today had a few bumpy patches, but did not slow us down. Saw several wildlife warning signs, but no actual critters. Having lunch at a truck stop today, a gentlemen in a bus tour group came over (having seen the Studebaker hats) and said he used to be a SDC member, from Harrisburg PA. He now lives in Iowa. He knows Mike Margerum well......we are not safe from Mike's informants anywhere, it would appear. )

We cross the border into Alaska early in the morning, and expect to be in Fairbanks in late afternoon. I will find a computer there that will let me download some pictures of the adventure so far.....Not that any picture could capture this country, or this adventure!

John Burgh

Richard Quinn
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for keeping us updated Richard. having spent some time up in that part of the world makes hearing the story that much more interesting. Can't wait to see some more pics.[]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for keeping us updated Richard. having spent some time up in that part of the world makes hearing the story that much more interesting. Can't wait to see some more pics.[]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks so much for the updates!
                            I'd love to see some more pic's of Ford Stoecker's 1937 President "hump back" panel delivery. Incredible to see it (and them) being driven just like when they were new.
                            Studebaker Drivers Club kudo's to the whole group!!!!
                            Jeff[8D]

Update on 8-30:

John Burgh

Richard Quinn
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks so much for the updates!
                              I'd love to see some more pic's of Ford Stoecker's 1937 President "hump back" panel delivery. Incredible to see it (and them) being driven just like when they were new.
                              Studebaker Drivers Club kudo's to the whole group!!!!
                              Jeff[8D]

Update on 8-30:

John Burgh

Richard Quinn
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X