17" torque thrust wheels on a '63 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 17" torque thrust wheels on a '63 hawk

has anyone out there did this how did they look?
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Oh the horror...!?
    Some have "done" this.. In my opinion...none look good at all. 16"'s are pushing it..

Mike

Comment

For me, the look depends as much on the choice of tire aspect ratio as the wheel diameter. The 17" tires are available from 35 to 70. JMHO, but older eyes like to look at older cars with higher aspect ratio tires. I'd think 17" torque thrust with say a 60-series tire would look OK to me. With the rubber band 35-series, not so much.

FWIW, one of our members, sbca96 put 17" Mustang Cobra wheels and tires on his Avanti and I thought the result worked.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

[QUOTE=PackardV8;749922]For me, the look depends as much on the choice of tire aspect ratio as the wheel diameter. The 17" tires are available from 35 to 70. JMHO, but older eyes like to look at older cars with higher aspect ratio tires. I'd think 17" torque thrust with say a 60-series tire would look OK to me. With the rubber band 35-series, not so much.

FWIW, one of our members, sbca96 put 17" Mustang Cobra wheels and tires on his Avanti and I thought the result worked.

I would not have the diameter of the wheel tire setup to be much bigger than OE, I do not like the rubber band look on any car.
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

I would like to see a pic or two of the finished setup. I'd probably go with 60's on 17" rims. The rubberband look doesn't fit my tastes either. Bill

Comment

Typically, those low profile tires help handling, but hurt ride. I'd stick to something at least 60 or above on aspect ratio, just for ride. Remember, that Stude doens't have the double rubber isolation in the suspension that a modern car would have to absorb the road shocks. Looks, however, are totally subjective, and strictly in the eyes of the beholder.

17" wheels with a 60% aspect ratio tire, makes for a pretty darn big diameter!

Just one old man's opinion, nothing more...
            Corley

Comment

Hey has anyone done the deal with 22" wheels on a Stude! I see some of these in Chattanooga when I am there. Usually 70s/80s Cutlasses, Regals etc. Pretty weird look
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

"Hey has anyone done the deal with 22" wheels on a Stude!"

Probably not since Studebaker made wooden wagons.

Tom
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                  Hey has anyone done the deal with 22" wheels on a Stude!
                  Not yet, but one day these 20s will likely have to go...

While I can find a local shop to deal with her split rims-
                  I'd worry on trips that take me very far from home.
                  I've seen a few Studes with 22.5s, so I might go that route.

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

FWIW, back in the day, I put thousands of miles on heavily loaded trucks with the same 20" split rims. There's no reason those won't take you anywhere and back as long as the wheels aren't rusty and the tires, tubes and flaps are still in good condition.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I am amazed when seeing cars on the side of the road with flat tires that are very often these "rubber band" types. So little sidewall for deflection giving a harsher ride & prone to tire/rim failure. They might look "cool" to some & that's their choice but the cost of replacement & all other factors, are not for me. JMHO.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                        I am amazed when seeing cars on the side of the road with flat tires that are very often these "rubber band" types. So little sidewall for deflection giving a harsher ride & prone to tire/rim failure. They might look "cool" to some & that's their choice but the cost of replacement & all other factors, are not for me. JMHO.
                        When you consider that most cars since the late 80s have 50 series or lower profile tires
                        its a pretty good chance the car on the side of the road has them. That certainly doesn't
                        mean they are more "prone", it just means that by the sheer number of these cars on the
                        road the chance is higher.

Up to an 18 inch wheel is 'safe' from bending a rim on a pothole, that is with down to about
                        a 40 series tire. With a 35 series or lower, your chances go up.

18 inch is also nice on a Studebaker because it will clear the upper front zerk fitting. This
                        is the area that contacts first when trying to fit 8 inch wide or wider on the front end. I
                        find that my rim contacts the zerk right on the edge of the inside lip of the wheel. This is
                        with a 245/45R17 tire on a 17 x 8 inch wheel :

Cruisin by

on the road (older video)

My dad was visiting from Michigan in Mid-2009, we decided to take the Avanti out of the garage and for a drive. My dad drove my Impala SS as the camera car, ...

Tom
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          FWIW, back in the day, I put thousands of miles on heavily loaded trucks with the same 20" split rims. There's no reason those won't take you anywhere and back as long as the wheels aren't rusty and the tires, tubes and flaps are still in good condition. jack vines
                          I'll take that into account when the time comes. I suppose that if my spare is as good as the rest- blowouts shouldn't be an issue. For now she sits just fine. Once she's one the road I can decide what to do.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I personally like 15" wheels. But your Avanti is the exception to the rule. Nice car Tom.

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                            When you consider that most cars since the late 80s have 50 series or lower profile tires
                            its a pretty good chance the car on the side of the road has them. That certainly doesn't
                            mean they are more "prone", it just means that by the sheer number of these cars on the
                            road the chance is higher.

Up to an 18 inch wheel is 'safe' from bending a rim on a pothole, that is with down to about
                            a 40 series tire. With a 35 series or lower, your chances go up.

18 inch is also nice on a Studebaker because it will clear the upper front zerk fitting. This
                            is the area that contacts first when trying to fit 8 inch wide or wider on the front end. I
                            find that my rim contacts the zerk right on the edge of the inside lip of the wheel. This is
                            with a 245/45R17 tire on a 17 x 8 inch wheel :

Cruisin by

on the road (older video)

My dad was visiting from Michigan in Mid-2009, we decided to take the Avanti out of the garage and for a drive. My dad drove my Impala SS as the camera car, ...

Tom
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom,
                              Hope to see the Avanti @ the Lompoc PD-SO show again.
                              Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                              X