PDA

View Full Version : Question about Avanti II

tony58
06-09-2013, 11:16 AM
As a newer member here my question is :Are the Avanti II accepted into the Studebaker family as much as the pre Avanti II Studebakers?As I'm looking at one now and just wondered.
Also in looking at one, what should I look for in the way of major problems?What questions should I ask?
Thanks,
Tony

bezhawk
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Some members think Avanti money was wasted and bought down the corporation.You will never please those folks. I think it was a good gamble to project a much needed image boost to a stodgy little old lady, or old mans' car.
On Avanti's, the most expensive items to replace are the frame, and rocker panel torque boxes. They were not well rust proofed, and tend to rust . The frame just forward of the rear leaf spring hangars is the first spot to check. The rear tubular crossmember is also rust prone.
The windshield "A" pillars under the stainless were also prone to rust. The later cars with sunroofs tend to seperate the metal frame from the fiberglass, and rust pushes the roof panel up.
Any Stude framed Avanti shouild have it's control arm bushings inspected for wear, as the rubber deteriorates rather quickly, especially the upper bushings.

Perhaps we should check ourselves in to the Hokey Pokey clinic. I hear it's a good place to turn ourselves around?:lol:

sweetolbob
06-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Brad covered it quite well. The power/tranny is SBC/GM so parts are about anywhere. Rear end is Dana and Suspension parts are Stude and available from our vendors. Disk brakes are a bit pricey to repair but Turner brake has a conversion that uses available GM/Ford parts.

If you find one that you like have a local member give it a look. There is usually someone in the area that will help.

As far as II's on the forum, I own two, post a fair bit and experience little to no negative feedback about them. I think the naysayers have been significantly out numbered by the members that want examples of the Marque in about any shape and form to survive. It's a great place to find info and assistance.

I will add that if you go look at one, get it up in the air. Ninety five percent of the issues with rust will be quite evident.

Bob

Gunslinger
06-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I've owned both a Studebaker built Avanti and a II...both times they had been through various owners so it's impossible to give an opinion on original quality...they each had issues. One of the toughest things to do is undo what previous owners have done before you can straighten the car out and get things right.

Yes...there are purists who believe the only true Avanti is Studebaker built...there's truth to that depending on point of view. Some have said Avanti II's are little more than factory assembled kit cars...there is truth to that when it comes to late Avantis after they went to GM platforms. Prior to that they were a small scale assembly plant and fabricated a surprising high number of items in-house.

My feeling is...it's your car and your money. Don't let me or anyone else decide what you should do. We can give advice on certain technical and mechanical things but outside of that...the world is your oyster. The great thing about Avanti II's is there is really no such thing (in my opinion) as a purist...every II was built and trimmed differently to the tastes of the buyer. Feel free to change what you like...don't like a low compression 305? Drop a 383 stroker in it. Don't like an automatic? The parts are available to convert it to a 4-, 5- or 6-speed manual. You can do as I did with my '70...changed the color, the upholstery, the seats, added a fuel injected crate engine and I've not looked back. Maybe those type of modifications might hurt the value of a Studebaker Avanti
(in some eyes), it (again...my opinion), enhances an Avanti II...in driving experience if not value.

To your first question...yes, I believe Avanti II's are welcome in the Studebaker community. They have been since Nate Altman rolled the first Avanti II out. There's well defined classes within SDC and AOAI judging rules for them...by era and whether original and correct or modified. If you need advice, this is a great place for it, as is the AOAI website. If not a member there, you should become one.

Welcome.

studegary
06-09-2013, 05:18 PM
I have owned Studebaker Avantis and a new post Studebaker Avanti.
By "Avanti II", I do not know if you are referring to all post-Studebaker Avantis or strictly speaking, the 1965 to 1983 models.
I normally break Avantis into the following groups: 1963-1964, 1965-1985, 1987-1989, 1990-1991 and 2001-2007.
There are differences all along the way, good and bad points. In general, for the same condition, a 1965-1985 will be worth less than a 1963-1964. As far as I am concerned, they are all accepted/appreciated.
To know what questions to ask, I would need to know what series you are considering.

SN-60
06-09-2013, 05:24 PM
This has been said before.....If your looking for an 'investment' type collector car, then You really must buy the 'Real Deal'....The nicest STUDEBAKER Avanti that You can afford. If Your looking for the Avantis unique looks, but aren't concerned with the car's ultimate financial value, then an Avanti II is the way to go. Avanti II's also make better 'everyday drivers', as the drive train parts are more readily available than the Studebaker version.
I've been using an '83 as My commuter car for many years.....It's GREAT!! But once again.......'There ain't nothin like the REAL THING'!

tony58
06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks all for the very informative answers and information.I learned alot today.This one is a 1984 showing 98,000 miles.I'm not looking for a show piece,just a nice ride to do local shows,run to the bank and go eat lunch with a bunch of old crusty men like myself.I gave up motorcycles after 61 years of riding.Looking for a toy.
Thanks,
Tony

sweetolbob
06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks all for the very informative answers and information.I learned alot today.This one is a 1984 showing 98,000 miles.I'm not looking for a show piece,just a nice ride to do local shows,run to the bank and go eat lunch with a bunch of old crusty men like myself.I gave up motorcycles after 61 years of riding.Looking for a toy.
Thanks,
Tony

First year for the Avanti without chrome bumpers but still a Studebaker frame and running gear. GM power and overdrive trans and you are leaving the major emission issues behind you in earlier vehicles. Still not the better mileage/performance of the 90's and up SBC's but a very capable driver and serviceable most anywhere.

I have an 83 and think it is a very well built, quality vehicle. Recall that the MSRP for this car is over $30,000 and it reflects it in build quality. My 74 is nowhere near the quality of the 83.

If the price is right and the rust underneath is minimal, you will have a nice looking, very drive able vehicle that will turn heads.

Bob

70Avanti2
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Were do you live in Tn. My be a local can help you.

studegary
06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks,
Tony

What I would check on, in order; rust in frame/chassis, rust in torque boxes, condition of front suspension/steering, brakes (everything), interior.

A 1984 should be Serial Number RQB 3850 through RQB 4114. There are a lot of mislabeled/later titled Avantis out there. 1984 includes 50 Touring Coupes that are nicer/worth more than the standard model.

EDIT: A 1984 is an Avanti, no longer an Avanti II.

JBOYLE
06-09-2013, 06:53 PM
As a newer member here my question is :Are the Avanti II accepted into the Studebaker family as much as the pre Avanti II Studebakers?
Thanks, Tony
Yes. As far as I know, "II"s and later Avantis can be entered in the SDC International meet show. Also, don't forget the Avanti Owners Association International...they obviously welcome all the generations of cars. Also, their quarterly magazine has a lot of "II"-specific service/restoration tips in it. They even have a "II" -specific section on the club's forum. http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php